• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GoldCard query.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have a 1-3 Zone Yearly Oyster card this came with a gold card.

I recently discovered that all the print on the Oyster card had come off the ticket. Causing me big issues as I needed it for someone tickets to buy a few days later.

I called tfl who said I can get a replacement however it would take a few days and would cost a admin fee. £10 I think they said.

That would of been fine except I needed a railcard and I knew the new gold card would not arrive in time. So I went online and purchased a 26-30 railcard which is valid across the country unlike a gold card.

My question is: if I carry on using my season Oyster card for getting to and from work and no longer have the gold card on me, would I be penalised ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A Challenge

Established Member
Apart from the fact there are some things you can discount using a gold card that you can't using a 26-30 Railcard, there should be no problem not having the gold card for using your season ticket.

Last edited:

ANDREW_D_WEBB

I have the same issue with my Network card each year, generally after about 6 months. I simply take it to the station where it was issued and get a free re issue of it. It is a problem with modern printing methods used that over a relatively short period of time the ink evaporates. I would challenge the £10 replacement as you have been issued with something that is not fit for purpose, i.e. to last 12 months.

alistairlees

Established Member
I have the same issue with my Network card each year, generally after about 6 months. I simply take it to the station where it was issued and get a free re issue of it. It is a problem with modern printing methods used that over a relatively short period of time the ink evaporates. I would challenge the £10 replacement as you have been issued with something that is not fit for purpose, i.e. to last 12 months.
Don’t think there’s any ink involved though. It’s heat transfer.

Haywain

Veteran Member
My question is: if I carry on using my season Oyster card for getting to and from work and no longer have the gold card on me, would I be penalised ?
There is absolutely no problem in using the season ticket without the Gold Card, but you will not be able to obtain a Gold Card discount on other tickets you buy.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
One area where the OP might have an issue is if they’ve got the Gold Card discount added to their Oyster Card and they travel outside the Zones covered by their season ticket using PAYG.

In the event of a revenue check outside the Zones covered by the season ticket the RPI would want to see the Gold Card Record.

The OP would be best not travelling outside the Zones covered by their season ticket until a new Gold Card Record has been received.

Haywain

Veteran Member
One area where the OP might have an issue is if they’ve got the Gold Card discount added to their Oyster Card and they travel outside the Zones covered by their season ticket using PAYG.

In the event of a revenue check outside the Zones covered by the season ticket the RPI would want to see the Gold Card Record.

The OP would be best not travelling outside the Zones covered by their season ticket until a new Gold Card Record has been received.
That is true. The OP should consider this.

I called tfl who said I can get a replacement however it would take a few days and would cost a admin fee. £10 I think they said.

I don't think you got the right advice there. I had a record card reissued by TfL (although they said they had to issue a new Oyster as well) for nothing. A few years before, I had the record card reprinted, without a new Oyster card, also for free. It seems to depend who you speak to, but there shouldn't be a charge unless the customer obviously mistreated it.

Status
Not open for further replies.