• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Golf clubs on trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Odd question?

Is there any reason you could take your golf clubs on the train if you were off to play a round of golf somewhere?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

broadgage

If suitably enclosed I do not see why golf clubs can not be taken on a train like any other reasonable sized luggage.

If NOT enclosed, railway staff or police officers MIGHT consider them to be potentialy an offensive weapon. A lot would probably depend on the time of day, and the demeanour of the person carrying them.

A full set of golf club clubs in a proper caddy, trolley or other container, during daylight or early evening, probably OK.
A couple of loose clubs, late at night, probably not.

Similar arguments could apply to cricket or baseball bats and some other sporting equipment, depending on circumstances these could be normal luggage or offensive weapons.

Monty

Established Member
There is no reason why you can't, believe it or not I see people travelling with them quite regularly. :)

Yew

Established Member
Yes, as long as they fit within the luggage regulations set by the NRCoC.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
It would be in a golf bag not just a few loose ones, okay thanks for help guys.

jb

There is no reason why you can't, believe it or not I see people travelling with them quite regularly. :)

I've no idea why it's "believe it or not". Plenty of us aren't slaves to the car and don't always get picked up at home when going for a round somewhere.

Ferret

Established Member
Odd question?

Is there any reason you could take your golf clubs on the train if you were off to play a round of golf somewhere?

Per the conditions of carriage, perfectly acceptable to take golf equipment although you may be charged at the discretion of the train company. The wording has changed on this subject though - previous NRCoCs stated a charge not exceeding half of the adult fare for golf equipment...

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Does anyone on here have experience of either:
A: being charged for excess/outsize luggage
or
B: charging passengers for excess/outsize luggage (this is for the various guards we have posting!)

Monty

Established Member
I've no idea why it's "believe it or not". Plenty of us aren't slaves to the car and don't always get picked up at home when going for a round somewhere.

I'm sorry? What has 'slaves to a car' got to do with me seeing passengers travelling by train with golf clubs? Of you think I was trying to be facetious or derogatory to the OP then you have truely got the wrong end of the stick. :|

Mugby

Established Member
I hope you'll be wearing flat cap, argyle pullover and plus fours to complete the picture!

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Starting a golf club on a train would be rather irresponsible due to the proximity of other passengers to flying balls, and would contravene various byelaws on this basis. Besides, most trains are much too small for anything other than a bit of light putting.

Actually, thinking about it, I can't imagine anyone would want to join your golf club on a train. Where's the greenery? Where's the fresh air? Where's the sandwiches and a sit down afterwards? More to the point, you'll finish your round miles from where you started! Ridiculous idea...

(apologies to Count Arthur Strong)

Ferret

Established Member
Does anyone on here have experience of either:
A: being charged for excess/outsize luggage
or
B: charging passengers for excess/outsize luggage (this is for the various guards we have posting!)

B - yes, I did it about 3 weeks ago when somebody turned up with 4 massive bags and a few little ones on a trolley and delayed the train loading them all on board. She paid up, although the NRCoC suggests I should've charged her more than I actually did!

Last edited:

Welshman

Established Member
I suppose taking golf-clubs on a train ensures you go round in/on bogey [unless you're on a Pacer, of course]. :D

I'll get my coat.......

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Most golf bags seem to fit quite easily in the overhead racks. Get them quite regularly as my trains serve Gleneagles, Drem (for Muirfield), North Berwick (Golf Mecca), Leuchars (for St. Andrews ~ home of Golf), and of course Kingsknowe for the Kingsknowe Golf Club.

sarahj

Established Member
I've not done so yet, but have been tempted when you see what some people carry to/from Gatwick.

What I have done on very busy trains is make an anouncement that if you leave your bags on seats you will have to pay a full fare ticket to your destination for that seat. Cue seats becoming free. :lol:

RPM

Established Member

pemma

Veteran Member
What I have done on very busy trains is make an anouncement that if you leave your bags on seats you will have to pay a full fare ticket to your destination for that seat. Cue seats becoming free. :lol:

Maybe EMT should do that. Whenever a Liverpool-Norwich service is short formed there always seem to be people leaving bags on seats as if the service won't get busy?

jon0844

Veteran Member
Starting a golf club on a train would be rather irresponsible due to the proximity of other passengers to flying balls, and would contravene various byelaws on this basis.

If my trips to the driving range are anything to go by, most of my shots wouldn't even hurt the person sitting in front of me. :)

Osprey17

I carry fencing equipment on the train frequently (similar in size, weight and potential misuse as a weapon) and apart from trying to find a place to put it I've never had a problem. Don't see how golf clubs would be different.

Last edited:

prod_pep

Established Member
I've seen people bring golf clubs on Merseyrail Southport line trains quite often and not seen anyone be challenged over it.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Odd question?

It's an oddly phrased question, yes.

I'm thinking it would have been better to write:

Is there any reason you could not take your golf clubs on the train..." :D

Status
Not open for further replies.