• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Good CV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrJB

How important is having a good CV?
What happens if your last 2 jobs were both 12 year plus jobs, it won't make a good CV.
What is it they are looking for in a CV?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gazthomas

Established Member
It's not a question of how long you've been with an employer it's what you've done in that time, progression, projects, etc. that is more important

Established Member
The truth.

You can't change your history. Having two jobs for 12 years each may well be seen as preferable to someone who changes jobs every year.

A good CV is vital, especially if your potential employer doesn't know you from Adam, or Eve. Having sifted through many a CV over the years, you have to make yours stand out from the others. Clear presentation, good use of English, and for me the avoidance of bull**** are all a good start.

Some employers now use templates for you to complete, rather than accept a free format CV. Read the question carefully and answer the question you were asked, you'll be surprised how many don't.

MrJB

Thanks guys.
I think in this case then, it was my CV that probably let me down in my application for a depot driver, my first application for a TOC.

This has been a real learning kerb for me, as I'm not used to failure

GingerRH

It's not where you've been working, it's what skills do you have and how can you apply them to a career in the railway.

I was a chef for 5 years before getting a job on the railway :)

pdeaves

Established Member
If I ever get to check CV for potential candidates then I would expect the two long-term jobs to be excellent CV fodder. As gazthomas says, it's what you do in that time that matters. Talk about what you did; don't just say 'I was an engineer' (or whatever).

Personally, I think hundreds of short term jobs should ring alarm bells. Is it worth employing this person if they will start looking for another job straight away? However, it seems to work at (close to) director level!

TDK

Established Member
A CV is not important it's the completing of the application form that matters as most of the info in your CV should go on to the application.

EazyGuy

My TOC didn't even ask for a CV, as TDK says the application form is everything.

Economist

Yep, it's mainly application forms these days, always make sure you get someone to check what you've written for grammar etc.

Regarding jobs, as far as I'm aware they really like safety-critical and customer facing stuff. That said, any experience you have in your spare time can be invaluable, particularly if it is safety-critical.

Established Member
A CV is not important it's the completing of the application form that matters as most of the info in your CV should go on to the application.

That may be true for driver vacancies, where there are usually lots of applicants, but not necessarily true of all job applications. Now it is apparent the OP applied for a driving job, but to answer the original question, a CV relevant to the job you are applying for is still important. It is not uncommon to call applicants for a second interview, a good CV may be the difference between getting that call or not.

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Plenty of jobs in the railway industry still ask for both a CV and an application form to be submitted, plus the cover letter. Where applicable, I always think the cover letter is where you can really make yourself stand out not ignoring the importance of the other two.

scott118

however EMT, required both, in their recent request for depot drivers.

Those that are successful, they see nothing special in what they have supplied, obviously. For those who have been rejected, there seems to be some sort of black art to becoming chosen. Is there such a thing or is it that they unfortunately simply don't 'fit' the TOC's criteria somehow? Can it be singled down to one single factor? Probably not.. What will happen to those, when an improved CV/application, still results in a rejection?

donpoku

To suggest a CV is not important is somewhat misleading. Some TOC require it some don't. So why not have a good CV( content & template) to go with the application.

MrJB

Again, great replies, thanks guys.
I've never done a CV before, but now after reading the replies, I now have a good idea as to what is expected.

red2005

How important is having a good CV?
What happens if your last 2 jobs were both 12 year plus jobs, it won't make a good CV.
What is it they are looking for in a CV?

The main mistake people make in terms of CV's is thinking that it is just a snazzy employment record and end up leaving important information out.

as someone said earlier the application is the main thing but some of these toc's like you to set up an online account when applying which includes uploading your CV....especially speculative applications.

Remember it's not just about past work, its about qualifications,hobbies,interests etc etc etc the worst thing you can do is sound like a robot.....depends what you are applying for obviously but a good CV can be vital.

pdeaves

Established Member
Oh, and tailor the CV to match the requirements stated in the job advert. If the advert says they want applicants who can do X, tell them that you can do X. If you can't do X, tell them how your previous experience will enable you to do X even though you haven't actually done it before.

Established Member
Those that are successful, they see nothing special in what they have supplied, obviously. For those who have been rejected, there seems to be some sort of black art to becoming chosen. Is there such a thing or is it that they unfortunately simply don't 'fit' the TOC's criteria somehow? Can it be singled down to one single factor? Probably not.. What will happen to those, when an improved CV/application, still results in a rejection?

Not so much a black art, more like pot luck. Selecting candidates for interview is inevitably a bit subjective, and it can depend on the quality of the opposition as much as your own application. You can't interview everyone simply because they applied, so you usually pick, say, the top six for interview, and hope you chose wisely.

Status
Not open for further replies.