• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Good viewing locations - Leeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bayum

Established Member
I'm wanting to know if there are any places that are good for viewing trains and things in Leeds? Not necessarily to 'spot', but to feel the speed and be up close and personal with the mighty beasts.

I was down around the Whitehall area the other day and was interested in the dividing area between the Airedale, London and Manchester branches as I would have been able to see a variety of stock here.

There's Colton Junction just up on the A64, but that doesn't get me anywhere near the trains revving their engines and the 'power' really going.

Needs to be easily accessible by car, some walking if needs be - but not too much.

Thank you!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

shedman

Hambleton Junction is a fantastic location but that's more Selby. You can park up at the side of the railway and stand at the boundary fence which is still the nice 3 bits of wire so no views are ruined. If you find the location on google earth you'll see the access road just after the bridge runs over the ECML

Condor7

Platforms 1 or 2 at Shipley station.
This is a very busy station although mostly passenger units, both diesel and electric with quite a bit of variety.

This is a triangular station with 5 platforms so some of the trains will not pass through these two platforms but are still visible from there, but all the freight trains pass these platforms, and you would be very up close and personal, although you would need to check RTT as there are only about 4 freight a day between 9am and 5pm.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
There is a section of the Leeds Liverpool canal just past Kirkstall Morrisons with just a wall to the railway which is very good. But Hambleton is probably better for variety.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Since the thread is called good viewing locations - Leeds may I ask a question?
I am going to Leeds on the 7th on June 2014 and I was wandering what platform is best for getting unit numbers. My main interest is the Northern units (both EMUs and DMUs). I will be arriving at 13:11 on the service to Penzance and leaving at 14:05 on the service to London Kings Cross if this helps. Thanks for the advice,
Fishquinn.

davido39

Garforth Station? there are a variety of trains pass through this station, as well as the stopping locals and Trans Pennine trains. I can't tell you if there is any freight on this line as it's been quite a long time since I frequented this station.

Maybe someone who lives more local to this station can tell you more.

Crossforth

Established Member
Since the thread is called good viewing locations - Leeds may I ask a question?
I am going to Leeds on the 7th on June 2014 and I was wandering what platform is best for getting unit numbers. My main interest is the Northern units (both EMUs and DMUs). I will be arriving at 13:11 on the service to Penzance and leaving at 14:05 on the service to London Kings Cross if this helps. Thanks for the advice,
Fishquinn.

For that I'd say the London end of platform 6. You can see virtually everything that comes in and out of the station.

34D

Established Member
Garforth Station? there are a variety of trains pass through this station, as well as the stopping locals and Trans Pennine trains. I can't tell you if there is any freight on this line as it's been quite a long time since I frequented this station.

Maybe someone who lives more local to this station can tell you more.

We had a class 31 through here the other week. A couple of class 66's a day is about it at present though.

I would say canal just west of the station.

Status
Not open for further replies.