• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Government publishes world’s first ‘greenprint’ to decarbonise all modes of domestic transport by 2050

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Department of Transport has made a written statement on this but supporting documents and specifically the Rail Environment Policy Statement not yet posted on the DofT website.

Thi document will look at

The government is also publishing its rail environment policy statement, which will set the direction for the rail industry on environment issues and inform the forthcoming sustainable rail strategy. The document will look at traction decarbonisation, air quality, decarbonising the rail estate and a range of other environmental-related issues on the railway, including biodiversity and waste.

Which will presumably respond to where they see electrification as an enabler

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
A "net zero rail network by 2050" is about all you can read into the statement at the moment, until the rail environment policy statement appears.
Plus:
and have created Great British Railways to make services easier to use, to grow the network and build on the huge acceleration of electrification we’ve already seen since 2010.

higthomas

It’s not about stopping people doing things: it’s about doing the same things differently. We will still fly on holiday, but in more efficient aircraft, using sustainable fuel. We will still drive, but increasingly in zero emission cars.
Sadly when it comes to actually decarbonising transport, this sentence effectively kills the entire plan in one go. We cannot decarbonise transport (or anything much for that matter) by just continuing doing what we do, but slightly better. :rolleyes:

island

Veteran Member
Did I read somewhere that they were planning to stick OHLE on motorways to be used by suitably equipped lorries?

CdBrux

Sadly when it comes to actually decarbonising transport, this sentence effectively kills the entire plan in one go. We cannot decarbonise transport (or anything much for that matter) by just continuing doing what we do, but slightly better. :rolleyes:

If you don't have ambition then for sure you won't succeed. There will be technologies around in 10 or 20 years time we have little or no knowledge of today. They may or may not be enough, we shall see, but I would rather we went for it than adopt a negative 'can't be done' attitude which just risks us being left behind by those who do try to do things.

ExRes

Established Member
Germany has a trial section

View attachment 99658

We will have really lost the plot if they propose to go down that road.

Why will anyone ".. really have lost the plot ..."? If the Germans, Swedes and Americans are trialling it, all naturally far more intelligent than us mere Brits, then either various people have money to burn or there is a good chance it could work, as it's purpose, as I understand it, is simply to charge the batteries then vehicles aren't tied to the system other than for charging, isn't it simply a method of doing away with the ICE? which does seems to be the purpose of all these ideas

higthomas

If you don't have ambition then for sure you won't succeed. There will be technologies around in 10 or 20 years time we have little or no knowledge of today. They may or may not be enough, we shall see, but I would rather we went for it than adopt a negative 'can't be done' attitude which just risks us being left behind by those who do try to do things.
Whilst there may be wonderful new technologies in 20 years, a plan that amounts to "lets hope something comes along in 20 years which magically solves all our problems" isn't really a plan.
(I don't think that is entirely what this report is doing. On cars at least saying "they will all be electric" is pretty reasonable. It just ignores the fact that production of millions of new cars each year produces vast amounts of CO2, not to mention all the other disbenefits of a car driven future.)

CdBrux

Whilst there may be wonderful new technologies in 20 years, a plan that amounts to "lets hope something comes along in 20 years which magically solves all our problems" isn't really a plan.
(I don't think that is entirely what this report is doing. On cars at least saying "they will all be electric" is pretty reasonable. It just ignores the fact that production of millions of new cars each year produces vast amounts of CO2, not to mention all the other disbenefits of a car driven future.)

The plan needs to have in place mechanisms to encourage innovation to develop new solutions. My point was simpy to say "based on what we know today, this is unachievable" with an implication we will have to plan to modify behaviours to bridge the gap so that everything is accounted for by existing know-how or behaviour change is not at all a way to go.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Why will anyone ".. really have lost the plot ..."? If the Germans, Swedes and Americans are trialling it, all naturally far more intelligent than us mere Brits, then either various people have money to burn or there is a good chance it could work, as it's purpose, as I understand it, is simply to charge the batteries then vehicles aren't tied to the system other than for charging, isn't it simply a method of doing away with the ICE? which does seems to be the purpose of all these ideas
Maybe but twin pantographs is a recipe for dewirements let alone all the infrastructure required to support it. We need a policy that electrifys freight lines first and shifts long distance road haulage off the roads unless its fuelled by zero emissions propulsion. Yes it will cost more but thats the price to reduce our impact on the climate.

NSEFAN

Established Member
The plan needs to have in place mechanisms to encourage innovation to develop new solutions. My point was simpy to say "based on what we know today, this is unachievable" with an implication we will have to plan to modify behaviours to bridge the gap so that everything is accounted for by existing know-how or behaviour change is not at all a way to go.
Why is it unreasonable to expect people to modify their behaviours, if those behaviours are immediately harmful? For example, despite various recent medical advances, we still expect people to wash their hands to reduce the spread of germs. We expect various manufacturing processes to be hygienic for a similar reason. Both of these cost money to do, but are well worth it.

To bring back to the environmental argument, there are probably ways to make all aviation net-zero-emissions, either with electrification or non-fossil fuels, but both require a lot of work to completely replace traditional fossil-fueled designs that are in main stream use. Given what is known about the harm of fossil fuel emissions, and the vague time frames for zero-emissions aircraft to replace the current designs, it makes sense to encourage people to produce less of it right now, i.e. fly less often. Reduction in energy usage is what is needed immediately, and will have to come from lower usage until it can be sourced in more renewable ways.

high camera

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...rhead-electric-wires-charge-eTrucks-move.html

Cabinet ministers have announced radical plans to fit UK motorways with overhead electric wires that power e-Trucks and charge them on the move as part of ambitious plans to cut carbon emissions by banning the sale of diesel-powered HGVs in the country by 2040.

The creation of new so-called e-highways are among Prime Minister Boris Johnson's sweeping proposals to 'decarbonise' transport and homes as the Government seeks to show off its green credentials ahead of the UN COP26 climate change conference in Glasgow in November.

How will this possibly work ? Thousands of wagons driving in convoy in straight lines so as not to slip off the OHLE. How can they do this if other traffic is mingling with them ? The OHLE will be coming down every hour causing mayhem !!

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Unless the plan includes a rolling plan of electrification, it won't amount to a hill of beans for rhe railway.

snowball

Established Member
Still nothing on DfT website ... perhaps they're still arguing the policy, several hours after the press release went out.

CdBrux

Why is it unreasonable to expect people to modify their behaviours, if those behaviours are immediately harmful? For example, despite various recent medical advances, we still expect people to wash their hands to reduce the spread of germs. We expect various manufacturing processes to be hygienic for a similar reason. Both of these cost money to do, but are well worth it.

To bring back to the environmental argument, there are probably ways to make all aviation net-zero-emissions, either with electrification or non-fossil fuels, but both require a lot of work to completely replace traditional fossil-fueled designs that are in main stream use. Given what is known about the harm of fossil fuel emissions, and the vague time frames for zero-emissions aircraft to replace the current designs, it makes sense to encourage people to produce less of it right now, i.e. fly less often. Reduction in energy usage is what is needed immediately, and will have to come from lower usage until it can be sourced in more renewable ways.

Encouraging people to modify behaviour is different from mandating it and especially in a way that causes economic harm. Out of interest what personal behaviour changes have you made?

Gloster

Established Member
I haven’t read the paper and won’t bother to, but I have no doubt that it will be yet another case of tinkering around the edges. A few, much-trumpeted ideas that do an infinitesimal amount to help and an optimistic, broad brush approach to everything. And, hurrah, everything will be fine and we can continue our existing lifestyles with only the smallest sacrifices, preferably by someone else.

It will all allow the government to claim that it is green, but will have no measurable effect. It will not even attempt to face the fact that if this planet is going to avoid boiling/poisoning/starving/asphyxiating itself to death it, and most particularly the West, must make massive changes to lifestyles. The longer it is before people grasp this, the less they will be able to retain.

snowball

Established Member
I haven’t read the paper and won’t bother to, but I have no doubt that it will be yet another case of tinkering around the edges.
Only insiders and time travellers have read it. It hasn't been published yet, despite the press release saying it has.

CdBrux

Only insiders and time travellers have read it. It hasn't been published yet, despite the press release saying it has.
I think they say it is being published today rather than already has. It might be that, somewhat unusually, the government is actually waiting until the announcement in the House of Commons and making the document available to MPs before publishing online. However that doesn't seem to have stopped a few people making their minds up on it first or stating if it doesn't stop everything but fully electrified railways (and maybe busses / trams / bandwagons) it must be invalid.

jw

The report is now live on the DfT website (PDF)

Key quotes:
Between now and 2050
Great British Railways will deliver a programme of further electrification, together with use of battery and hydrogen trains, to enable a zero carbon railway

2020s–2030s
Policies will incentivise the take up of low carbon traction by rail freight operators. Freight Operating Companies will use more electric and low carbon traction. Investing in High Speed rail and extra capacity on our network will support modal shift to rail

By 2040
Ambition for all diesel-only trains to be removed from the network by 2040

By 2050
The rail network will be net zero
We will also pursue options for electrifying the remaining diesel pockets of the third-rail network. Further electrification schemes will be announced shortly.
The geography of rail freight has subsequently changed, with the consolidation of rail freight on already partially electrified routes. This means that relatively short stretches of new infill electrification could allow a significant rise in the electric haulage of freight. We will pursue such electrification to maximise the benefits gained from rail freight.
We will deliver an ambitious, sustainable, and cost effective programme of electrification guided by Network Rail’s TDNS

Last edited:

NSEFAN

Established Member
Encouraging people to modify behaviour is different from mandating it and especially in a way that causes economic harm. Out of interest what personal behaviour changes have you made?
In extreme cases, public behaviour can be mandated to change. Covid has demonstrated that. As I understand it, the government isn't planning on even recommending that people fly less, let alone mandating it, on the basis that someone else will sort it out in The Future™.

I'm not sure what regulations are being proposed to limit aviation emissions, but it would be sensible to set limits on flight efficiency, not dissimilar from those set out for consumer goods. For example, X date, planes must be able to achieve Y mileage with Z tonnes of carbon emissions, or something like that. Designers will either need to make the craft more efficient or find fuels which are more renewable. Every few years the emissions limit can be reduced to keep designers innovating as much as they can without demanding too much technological change up front.

For myself, I already avoid flying unless I really have to for time constraints. I engineer my lifestyle around using public transport and walking, and failing that sharing a car with friends or family. I accept that this can be limiting, not everywhere is served by public transport or is within sensible walking distance, so I sometimes have to get a taxi. I have to trade some convenience and time to reduce my energy consumption.

snowball

Established Member
There's also this document which is specific to rail (though "specific" is hardly the word):

Rail Environment Policy Statement
On Track for a Cleaner, Greener Railway

The Williams-Shapps Plan for Rail, published 20 May 2021, called for a 30-year strategy to
‘provide clear, long-term plans for transforming the railways’. The 30-year strategy will
incorporate a ‘comprehensive environment plan for the rail network’, to be published in
2022, which will ‘establish rail as the backbone of a cleaner future transport system’.1

Work on this environment plan, the Sustainable Rail Strategy (SRS), has been
commissioned and is underway. It will build on the commitments for rail set out in the UK’s
revolutionary new plan to decarbonise transport called ‘Decarbonising transport: a better, greener Britain’, in addition to addressing a range of environmental sustainability issues on
the railway, including the topics covered by this document.

The purpose of this Rail Environment Policy Statement (REPS) is to set a clear direction
for the rail industry on environmental sustainability and to outline policy priorities for the
SRS. By setting the direction of travel for environmental policy on the railway now, we are
building the foundations that will allow us to achieve a cleaner, greener railway that is fit for
the future.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
This is about the most significant statement, which crops up in both documents:
There is much more to do, however, and we are committed to delivering an ambitious, sustainable, and cost-effective programme of electrification guided by Network Rail’s TDNS. This includes pursuing options for electrifying the remaining diesel pockets of the third-rail network

The DfT Transport Decarbonisation document (page 78) also includes the Network Rail map from its TDNS, which acknowledges that this will be the basis for electrification schemes (and hydrogen/battery solutions).
The colour coding of the map isn't very clear, but much of the network is due to be wired under the plan.
No timescale or funding is specified, just the top-level 2040/50 targets for eliminating diesel-only trains and reaching a net-zero-carbon network, respectively.
Also "more electrification plans will be announced shortly".
There also mention of quick wins in the freight sector, which means wiring short lengths of railway around London and to ports.

At least these documents clear the decks for some electrification action.
Mention is made that Great British Railways will be in charge of the programme.
Hopefully some progress will be made within the couple of years it will take to set up GBR.

Last edited:
2050 is too far to be useful.

Without a clear, stepped plan with milestones, I call rubbish. 2050 is far enough away to forget about.

If they were really serious about this, they would make this the goal and then have mandated milestones at 5-6 year intervals.

I'd love for more electrification to be carried out and widespread implementation of battery units to replace diesels on lines that would be uneconomical to electrify. This being said, the environmental impact of milling steel, generating electricity and making rechargeable batteries will take a long time to offset.

Sorry to be Mr Miserable, I've had a day of non-stop meetings...

hwl

Established Member
This is about the most significant statement, which crops up in both documents:

The DfT Transport Decarbonisation document (page 78) also includes the Network Rail map from its TDNS, which acknowledges that this will be the basis for electrification schemes (and hydrogen/battery solutions).
The colour coding of the map isn't very clear, but much of the network is due to be wired under the plan.
No timescale or funding is specified, just the top-level 2040/50 targets for eliminating diesel-only trains and reaching a net-zero-carbon network, respectively.
Also "more electrification plans will be announced shortly".
There also mention of quick wins in the freight sector, which means wiring short lengths of railway around London and to ports.

At least these documents clear the decks for some electrification action.
Mention is made that Great British Railways will be in charge of the programme.
Hopefully some progress will be made within the couple of years it will take to set up GBR.
Expect a bit more detail when TDNS version 2 is published soon... (which has to come after TDP publication)

Mikey C

Established Member
The £27bn RIS2 Roads programme has remained intact, and the gov't has said "carry on flying".

Farcical barely covers it.
Nearly half that £27bn is for maintenance, and the rest of it is for bypasses or junction improvements. Many of which also improve things for cyclists and bus users (e.g. the A14 rebuild near Huntingdon)

DerekC

Established Member
Without a clear, stepped plan with milestones, I call rubbish. 2050 is far enough away to forget about.

If they were really serious about this, they would make this the goal and then have mandated milestones at 5-6 year intervals.
I share the scepticism but like it or not, this is the government we have to work around. At least it re-states (i.e. doesn't go back on) the policies already stated. I agree that the next step is a real strategic plan with commitments to percentages of the network electrified by given milestones, with investment committed to get the rolling programme off the ground. Drip feeding small extensions just won't cut it and battery, hydrogen and third rail extension get a lot of page space and a lot of ministerial attention, but are fringe issues in terms of the overall target.

snowball

Established Member
I share the scepticism but like it or not, this is the government we have to work around. At least it re-states (i.e. doesn't go back on) the policies already stated.
It is actually an advance, not merely a restatement, to have written assertions, in a government-produced document, that there will be an electrification programme as described in the quotes in #21.

Though it depends rather on how long we have to wait for a more specific version!

Status
Not open for further replies.