• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Govia get Thameslink Franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aictos

Established Member
Have they time to do anything about it then without impacting negatively on the introduction of the fleet?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class377/5

Established Member
Have they time to do anything about it then without impacting negatively on the introduction of the fleet?

There already over 100 vehicles formed into full trains. Its not impossible to change the units, but Govia would have to pay the full cost of alternations while possibly delaying the introduction of the Class 700 and the cost that will include.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Probably something for the first proper refresh. When would that be? 7-10 years in?

By then, it might end up that they'll be removing seats to have even more standing room!

Abpj17

It's an odd article - even the long distance journeys are primarily used for shorter/commuting journeys. The majority of the flow seems like it is for London or one of the airports. The full articles makes reference to the need for a table in order to consume refreshments (whereas in practice, space for passengers and luggage would seem more vital). I do wonder if that implies a vague idea of selling refreshments on the train - which seems like mission impossible.

Bishopstone

Established Member
Fold-down tables on the seat backs would not reduce space for passengers or luggage.

If you're travelling Brighton/Bedford/Cambridge to London, somewhere to rest a coffee doesn't sound like an unreasonable expectation of a new train.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Fold-down tables on the seat backs would not reduce space for passengers or luggage.

If you're travelling Brighton/Bedford/Cambridge to London, somewhere to rest a coffee doesn't sound like an unreasonable expectation of a new train.

Or to stand up your smartphone/tablet or perhaps do some work on your super lightweight laptop.

It wasn't about taking up more space though was it? It was about the delay for people to alight - presumably in that someone next you might have the tray down and delay you getting by.

I know that whenever I've been on a train where someone has a laptop/tablet or whatever out, I just ask a bit further in advance to get by so as to not overly inconvenience or stress them out, as would happen if you waited until the doors were open and you then said.

The DfT must be assuming that in the core, people will do just that. Perhaps they're right, but it's all down to the fact that there's so little room to manoeuvre.

grid56126

Finally on its way back from Infotrans then.

If you look at the cables running between the loco and the units and the instrumentation cars coupled either side of the unit, as well as the special monitoring equipment on the close up of of the bogie, this is more than a transit move....
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It's an odd article - even the long distance journeys are primarily used for shorter/commuting journeys. The majority of the flow seems like it is for London or one of the airports. The full articles makes reference to the need for a table in order to consume refreshments (whereas in practice, space for passengers and luggage would seem more vital). I do wonder if that implies a vague idea of selling refreshments on the train - which seems like mission impossible.

I doubt on train selling is being looked at. Just look at any train anywhere near a station with the remotest access to a coffee shop and you will see passengers boarding a train with a super mochiato skinny super dooper latte. Most commuter trains these days have more people drinking beverages than was ever seen with trains that had buffets or trollies.

I fell foul of this when I had a 350/2 on a Euston departure a while back. (I only had a tea!)

AM9

Veteran Member
I doubt on train selling is being looked at. Just look at any train anywhere near a station with the remotest access to a coffee shop and you will see passengers boarding a train with a super mochiato skinny super dooper latte. Most commuter trains these days have more people drinking beverages than was ever seen with trains that had buffets or trollies.

I fell foul of this when I had a 350/2 on a Euston departure a while back. (I only had a tea!)

And just look at how many end up on the floor as a dirt magnet for the rest of the diagram, tables or not.

DelayRepay

Established Member
And just look at how many end up on the floor as a dirt magnet for the rest of the diagram, tables or not.

I hope the new trains have sufficient litter bins. The current Thameslink stock has tiny bins which hold about 1 Starbucks cup and 1 copy of the Metro. It is shocking when you see how many bags of rubbish the cleaners collect in a quick dash through the train.

jon0844

Veteran Member
You can fit quite a lot in those bins if you push hard enough!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Class377/5

Established Member
If you look at the cables running between the loco and the units and the instrumentation cars coupled either side of the unit, as well as the special monitoring equipment on the close up of of the bogie, this is more than a transit move....

The half unit was one towed to Innotrans. While its taken an age to return, its not been running anywhere. The carriages are the same used to take it there, plus the special equipment is where the shoes should be, nothing else.

RichardN

It wasn't about taking up more space though was it? It was about the delay for people to alight - presumably in that someone next you might have the tray down and delay you getting by.

Hmm. How about mini (1 seat wide) tables, like on the 3 car 377s and seat back fold outs only on the seats nearest the windows?

Longer distance commuters would grab the window/table seats and you can only be slowed by your own table. Only hassle could be aisle seat coffee drinkers annoying window dwellers by putting cups on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.