• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grade 8 Three Bridges ROC x 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewbyRoo

Hello Everybody,

I wanted to thank everybody who contributes to this forum as yesterday I received an email stating that I have been successful in the interview stage for Three Bridges ROC, now I am just waiting for my formal written offer. The information gathered via this site has been invaluable. Just wondering if anybody else on this forum also passed this assessment.

Hoping for a start date this summer as the hiring manager said that they were looking to get 6 people started this summer for go live in December and 6 in Jan. Hopefully I will be seeing some of you in signalling school in the not to distant future :)

p.s. I forgot to ask during my interview. Does anybody know if they follow a 12hr or 8hr roster at Three Bridges?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nom de guerre

Hello Everybody,

I wanted to thank everybody who contributes to this forum as yesterday I received an email stating that I have been successful in the interview stage for Three Bridges ROC, now I am just waiting for my formal written offer. The information gathered via this site has been invaluable. Just wondering if anybody else on this forum also passed this assessment.

Hoping for a start date this summer as the hiring manager said that they were looking to get 6 people started this summer for go live in December and 6 in Jan. Hopefully I will be seeing some of you in signalling school in the not to distant future :)

p.s. I forgot to ask during my interview. Does anybody know if they follow a 12hr or 8hr roster at Three Bridges?

Well done!

TBROC is a 12hr roster.

NewbyRoo

Thank you both. That's great to hear, I work a 12hr roster in my current job which I much prefer.

Just looking forward to getting a date for training now which I know may take a fair while. I have also been told that it is now a 12 week course not the 9 weeks as originally advertised but I guess that is not the end of the world :) just happy to be offered a position at my preferred location.

NX

I think I was on the last eight week course at York, it's 12 weeks now as you say - the same course content but spread over a longer period with more simulator assessments we were told.

Also the new adverts read that you'll be on training salary for 12 months regardless of if you pass competant sooner.

NewbyRoo

I think I was on the last eight week course at York, it's 12 weeks now as you say - the same course content but spread over a longer period with more simulator assessments we were told.

Also the new adverts read that you'll be on training salary for 12 months regardless of if you pass competant sooner.

Thank you for that information. I had completely missed that in the job listing. Once the initial 12 week training period has completed and one is working their full roster would they still receive the shift enhancements before passing as competent. I would assume that not being passed as competent just means that you are unable to perform any pre-arranged overtime.

TRain87

Thank you for that information. I had completely missed that in the job listing. Once the initial 12 week training period has completed and one is working their full roster would they still receive the shift enhancements before passing as competent. I would assume that not being passed as competent just means that you are unable to perform any pre-arranged overtime.

With the new 12 week programme - you can pass out whenever you're ready, and perform overtime once passed out - but you will remain on grade 7 money (with shift enhancements) for 12 months. You also cannot move from three bridges until your 12 months are up!

NewbyRoo

With the new 12 week programme - you can pass out whenever you're ready, and perform overtime once passed out - but you will remain on grade 7 money (with shift enhancements) for 12 months. You also cannot move from three bridges until your 12 months are up!

I am guessing that this is the case to stop people just applying to any old position to get their foot in the door and then jumping ship.

I actually applied for two positions at the same time and was successful with both applications. One of the two processes was quite far ahead of the other process so all of the pre-employment checks have been done. I was assured on at least three separate occasions though that I would still be able to interview for Three Bridges so I am hoping there are no issues there!

NX

From my personal experience at my ROC you, and if you work a 12hr roster you'll work three days - X2 12hr & X1 11hr to make the standard 35hr week.

You'll get into Sunday payment and Night allowance, however they'll book you off for Bank Holidays and you won't work Sunday day or night and London allowance if TB is the area.

Subject to your LOM agreeing you may be able to do additional shfits towards the end of signing your first desk to aid the process.

Last edited by a moderator:

nom de guerre

With the new 12 week programme - you can pass out whenever you're ready, and perform overtime once passed out - but you will remain on grade 7 money (with shift enhancements) for 12 months.

What's the reasoning behind this new clause, and is it uniformly applied, regardless of grade?

Could be quite frustrating for those going to G1-6 boxes where you might concievably pass out within a month.

TRain87

What's the reasoning behind this new clause, and is it uniformly applied, regardless of grade?

Could be quite frustrating for those going to G1-6 boxes where you might concievably pass out within a month.

Saving money tactic? Making sure those are comfortable in their position before officially signed off?

I know from speaking to some guys that the cost to a LOM for taking on someone 'from the street' up until they pass out, cost in the region of £100k from their budget. That covers hotel, food, school, trainer wages, trainee wages, cost of having 2 people in box while learning.....everything. The rule is in place so people don't jump ship, as we had stories during school of people applying at one position then mid way through school, applying for other jobs and getting them - which means the first LOM forks the bill then the 2nd LOM reaps the benefits as the trainee leaves school and goes straight to 2nd position!

nom de guerre

I understand - and agree with - '12 months before moving'.

'12 months before full, advertised pay'? Not so much.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
I understand - and agree with - '12 months before moving'.

'12 months before full, advertised pay'? Not so much.

Quite. After passing out the people concerned are fully competent people in the eyes of the law, so why not in the eyes of the accountants?

signallerscot

I don't see the problem with it myself. It's analogous to the situation with trainee train drivers - ScotRail drivers don't get their full pay rate for 3 years after passing out and I'm sure many other companies have the same policy.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
I don't see the problem with it myself. It's analogous to the situation with trainee train drivers - ScotRail drivers don't get their full pay rate for 3 years after passing out and I'm sure many other companies have the same policy.

"What is popular is not always right and what is right is not always popular"

SmokeAndJoe

Does anyone know when the new pay schedule is valid from? I was unaware when I applied that we wouldn't be paid at the advertised rate until 12 months later.

I'm not saying I disagree, just that it wasn't part of my forecasting for moving home.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

TRain87

Does anyone know when the new pay schedule is valid from? I was unaware when I applied that we wouldn't be paid at the advertised rate until 12 months later.

I'm not saying I disagree, just that it wasn't part of my forecasting for moving home.

The current course at Basingstoke is the last 9 week course, every course after that is on the 12 week course, thus abiding to the 12 month rule

NX

I was on the last nine week course for my place, the next one starting next week I think are twelve weekers, thus twelve month grade 6 vice 7.

KneeOn

I'm going to assume I was not successful then, congratulations and best of luck on your new caterer!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

NX

Training at TBROC is mon-fri, 7 hour shifts.

We were initially in that pattern to, but we devised a 12hr/3 day roster between the four of us and our LOM signed it off.

You really don't want to be doing 5days for six months or however long it takes to pass out.

nom de guerre

It's analogous to a FOC/TOC suddenly abandoning a long-established, not-unsuccessful policy and compelling new entrants to work at trainee rate for potentially over 50% longer than previously - for no apparently justifiable reason.

I'll be fascinated to hear the official line on this. I get slightly nervous when the company start tampering with our grade's T&Cs...

SmokeAndJoe

It's analogous to a FOC/TOC suddenly abandoning a long-established, not-unsuccessful policy and compelling new entrants to work at trainee rate for potentially over 50% longer than previously - for no apparently justifiable reason.

I'll be fascinated to hear the official line on this. I get slightly nervous when the company start tampering with our grade's T&Cs...
Yea, I struggle to see how they could flip the rules on you when that wasn't what was advertised when you applied.

I can see how they can apply it when it's in the job description.

NewbyRoo

I'm going to assume I was not successful then, congratulations and best of luck on your new caterer!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I would not assume that. They may not have let everybody know at the same time. I had some outstanding forms to fill in from the interview so maybe they contacted me earlier to get these done. I wouldn't count yourself out until it's confirmed! You could always give them a call and ask. Good luck!

NewbyRoo

Yea, I struggle to see how they could flip the rules on you when that wasn't what was advertised when you applied.

I can see how they can apply it when it's in the job description.

Whilst I agree with you that they should honour what is advertised in the job description I think that is probably more of a moral issue. I would guess that legally they can change whatever they want so long as it is in the contract. Although I may very well be wrong about that..

SmokeAndJoe

Whilst I agree with you that they should honour what is advertised in the job description I think that is probably more of a moral issue. I would guess that legally they can change whatever they want so long as it is in the contract. Although I may very well be wrong about that..
I just spoke to them, original terms still stand, and have been told it is not part of the new policy.

Good for me and everyone else.

LewesTom

I'm going into TBROC on a G6. Starting Signalling School the last Monday of July at York...may see you there!

SmokeAndJoe

I'm going into TBROC on a G6. Starting Signalling School the last Monday of July at York...may see you there!
Hopefully I'll be a few weeks in by then. I was at TBROC for a few hours today meeting my controllers, really interesting place on the control floor, good dynamic.

Status
Not open for further replies.