• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great British Railway Journeys BBC2 (Starts 6th January 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Episode 1: Manchester to Birkenhead

Episode 2: Southport to Leyland

Episode 3: Preston to Rochdale

Episode 4: Haworth to Huddlesfield

Episode 5: Honley to Chesterfield

How many more series of this do you think they can make? Surely they must have come pretty close to going everywhere of interest in 5 series?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Butts

Veteran Member
Episode 1: Manchester to Birkenhead

Episode 2: Southport to Leyland

Episode 3: Preston to Rochdale

Episode 4: Haworth to Huddlesfield

Episode 5: Honley to Chesterfield

How many more series of this do you think they can make? Surely they must have come pretty close to going everywhere of interest in 5 series?

These are all in The North of England - he must have been to busy doing his Continental edition :p

Teaboy1

Where is 'Huddlesfield'?

Seriously thogh it does give a pritty good selection .... yes they are mainly northern but there will be plenty of branch line action. Episode 4 & 5 look most interesting with the history involved, Haworth [KWVR]to Keighley > Shipley > Leeds > Hudds. Plus then E5 from Honley on the Barnsley P'town line > MurderHall > Sheffield > Chesterfield.
Will make for the lighter side of the dross on TV over Xmas.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
These are all in The North of England - he must have been to busy doing his Continental edition :p
Each week is one continuous journey, with 5 episodes, so they are normally in the same region or along a certain line of route. There will be 4 weeks and 20 episodes next year.

High Dyke

Established Member
Where is 'Huddlesfield'?

Seriously thogh it does give a pritty good selection .... yes they are mainly northern but there will be plenty of branch line action. Episode 4 & 5 look most interesting with the history involved, Haworth [KWVR]to Keighley > Shipley > Leeds > Hudds. Plus then E5 from Honley on the Barnsley P'town line > MurderHall > Sheffield > Chesterfield.
Will make for the lighter side of the dross on TV over Xmas.
Blimey another DVD to eventually buy...:roll:

As for Chrimbo telly then the best thing by far will be the 'off' button. :p

Tiny Tim

Mr Portillo's 'Great British Railway Journeys' are a more or less endless franchise. The programmes rely mostly on subjects other than railway related ones, and some of the places visited are quite a long way from the nearest station. And there's no reason why the same territory can't be covered again, featuring different stops along the way.

mb

Thanks for the heads-up. This will be the first year we'll catch it from the start, as it's usually something we never see promoted in advance at programme junctions (in peak time anyway).

WatcherZero

Established Member
First weeks descriptions.

Manchester to Birkenhead
Michael Portillo embarks on a new journey from Manchester, birthplace of George Bradshaw, the publisher of his trusted guide, to Chesterfield, burial place of George Stephenson, the father of the railway.

In the first leg of the jourey, Michael finds out how the world's first industrialised city also gave birth to a revolutionary political movement and hears how railway workers founded one of the most successful football clubs in the world. Along the way, Michael does the washing in Port Sunlight and discovers the legacy of an American named George Francis Train in Birkenhead.

Southport to Leyland
Michael Portillo continues his journey through the North West of England. He begins in the elegant Lancashire resort of Southport, where the railways brought thousands of visitors to enjoy the pier and all the fun of the fair. Michael discovers Victorian entrepreneurship in Wigan, traces the beginnings of the Industrial Revolution in Bolton and drives a hundred-year-old commercial vehicle in Leyland

Preston to Rochdale
Michael Portillo continues his journey through the North West of England. He celebrates Victorian trade with the Preston Guild then heads to Rochdale where he discovers a pioneering movement that helped improve the lot of working families. Michael follows in the tracks of swathes of nineteenth-century working people who made day trips from the industrial towns to Hebden Bridge to walk in the beautiful Calder Valley.

Haworth to Huddersfield
Michael Portillo begins this leg of his journey from Manchester to Chesterfield at the home of the three Bronte sisters in Worth Valley, Yorkshire. He then moves on to Oakworth where he learns how the station and its heritage railway line secured a starring role in one of the most popular films ever made. In Bradford, Michael finds out how nineteenth-century workers could save to buy a home of their own, and in Halifax discovers how the railway contributed to the town's sweet success.

Honley to Chesterfield
On the last leg of his journey from a notorious slum in Manchester to the grandeur of a ducal seat in Derbyshire, Michael Portillo tunes in to the music of the mills and collieries of Victorian England, testing his puff with the brass band at Honley. In Holmfirth, Michael finds out about a nineteenth-century tragedy that struck the town and led to a tourist boom on the railways. At Chesterfield, Michael pays homage to the father of the railway, George Stephenson, before finishing his journey in style at one of the first stately homes to welcome visitors by rail - Chatsworth.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Was spotted in Birkenhead too, though the sightings indicate that the week they were filming it wasnt filmed in the order they appear in the program, (even appearing in Wolverhampton during that week which presumably will be a later journey). Most of the transition shots and helicopter shots the crew go back to film later when Portillo isnt there anyway.

Bantamzen

Established Member
I saw him with his film crew back in May on platform 8 at Huddersfield, whilst travelling on the 14:45 TPE Warrington Central - Leeds. So if they use the sequence showing a 185 pulling in Scarborough bound, my wife & I were sitting in the 1st class section at the front of the train. Sadly we were on the far side of the carriage & didn't realise it was him until it was too late, but I did manage to get a shot of him walking away towards platform 4 having filmed a scene...

Haven't some of these locations already been visited? I'm sure he's done the Calder Valley before. Indeed, I remember watching the episode where he alighted at Castleton and feeling pleasantly surprised, as it's my ancestral seat (I'm trying to sound posh; I've moved out to study in Sheffield).

He's definitely done Todmorden before, where he visited some farmers. Or something.

Haworth will be interesting to see, though.

Maybe Northern Rail are slipping the producers a bit of cash to promo their cattle trucks.

gavin

Does anyone know what the other 3 routes will be for GBRJ series 5? all we know so far is week 1 which is Manchester to Chesterfield

The beeb have put up a clip of Michael driving a tram at the Wirral Transport Museum which will be shown during episode 1 next Monday

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01nwkwy

Last edited:

marks87

Established Member
According to Digiguide, week 2 is London to Leeds, split up as:

Euston-Cheddington
Bletchley-Newport Pagnell
Northampton-Nuneaton
Leicester-Loughborough
Nottingham-Leeds

I believe in one of the weeks he covers Southampton - Portsmouth, as he visited the old hospital site at Netley using SWT during the filming. The hospital originally having its own branch line and station, some of the track being still visible.

Butts

Veteran Member
I believe in one of the weeks he covers Southampton - Portsmouth, as he visited the old hospital site at Netley using SWT during the filming. The hospital originally having its own branch line and station, some of the track being still visible.

I remember that Hospital as a child, it was a Naval Establishment later becoming a Mental Hospital and now a Museum I believe.

Sadly most of it was demolished, in I believe the 70s, just the chapel remaining and some buildings now used by Hampshire Constabulary. There are still some pieces of track where the station was located (now a car park) as well as some track where there was a level crossing on one of the access roads.

IanD

Established Member
According to Digiguide, week 2 is London to Leeds, split up as:

Euston-Cheddington
Bletchley-Newport Pagnell
Northampton-Nuneaton
Leicester-Loughborough
Nottingham-Leeds

Newport Pagnell?? Must have missed the filming for that! Probably visiting the parchment works where they make the stuff used by Parliament.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

Michael Portillo was filming in Trowbridge earlier this year, there was a story in the local paper about his visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.