• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Central Railway News and Updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flying Phil

Established Member
The timetables for the "Last Hurrah Gala" are now available on the GCR website. It is good to see that there will be a variety of authentic motive power to haul our 25+ "Lengthy Train" of 16T mineral wagons. (9F, 8F, Std 5, and Std 2). A sight and sound not to be missed!

Flying Phil

Established Member
Any idea of this weekend’s loco roster at all?
Well several locomotives will be running tomorrow for the Bonfire night specials and 78019 was in steam during this week as was the 9F 92214 together with the 8F 48305 I believe.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Our "Lengthy train" of 16T Mineral wagons....The Windcutters, from the brake van exiting Swithland sidings.
DSC02134.JPG

We had 23 minerals and two brake vans, so 25 in all. We had hoped to have at least another three, but it was not to be. Still many people said it was an impressive sight - and sound! It will be running tomorrow as well.

Teaboy1

FP, May one enquire just who is able to ride in the brake vans??
Would love to spend a day with the duty guard if this were allowed.
Is this a privilege only open to a select few?

LowLevel

Established Member
Staff with appropriate permission or for a significant donation a trip can sometimes be arranged, sorted in advance via the railway's management, in a nutshell!

Flying Phil

Established Member
Hi Teaboy
This was by way of a "Thank You" from the GCR to the active members of the Windcutter team who have been restoring the wagons over the years. So a hard earned and well deserved privilege.....and yes - more volunteers are always welcome!

Here is a picture of the "Lengthy train" taken today (Sunday) at Quorn.
DSC02153.JPG

Last edited:

Flying Phil

Established Member
On the Boscastle Website there is news of a new "Boscastle Official Supporters Club", which is free to join for anybody wishing to be kept informed of the restoration progress and opportunities to help in various ways. (I'm sorry, but my limited IT skills do not stretch to getting a direct link posted.)
In other news BR Std class 2 N0 78019 has been overhauled and is now back in operation on the GCR.
DSC02162.JPG
(With apologies for my flying finger on the right!)

Flying Phil

Established Member
From the latest GCR Rail Mail is the news that
..." the Board of directors is now very pleased to announce that Malcolm Holmes will be joining GCR as General Manager in March.

Malcolm has been associated with GCR in a number of volunteer roles for 28 years and, to that extent, his face will be a familiar one. His professional life has largely been in the public transport sector, particularly rail operations, most recently as Executive Director, West Midlands Rail Executive.

The whole Railway will warmly welcome Malcolm to GCR and the experience he will bring to the General Manager role".

LowLevel

Established Member
From the latest GCR Rail Mail is the news that
..." the Board of directors is now very pleased to announce that Malcolm Holmes will be joining GCR as General Manager in March.

Malcolm has been associated with GCR in a number of volunteer roles for 28 years and, to that extent, his face will be a familiar one. His professional life has largely been in the public transport sector, particularly rail operations, most recently as Executive Director, West Midlands Rail Executive.

The whole Railway will warmly welcome Malcolm to GCR and the experience he will bring to the General Manager role".
Malcolm has a lot of experience on the railway both in operational roles (he was a senior conductor/train manager at Intercity and then Midland Mainline) and management (with various TOCs and latterly the West Mids local government) so hopefully he should be a steady hand on the tiller during some difficult times. Best of luck to him!

Flying Phil

Established Member
This has been posted on social media from the GCR
2022-12-31-New-year-social-media-post.jpg
I'm looking forward to some exciting events during the year....and yes I have been involved since 1969, where has the time gone?

railfan99

Established Member
Our "Lengthy train" of 16T Mineral wagons....The Windcutters, from the brake van exiting Swithland sidings.

We had 23 minerals and two brake vans, so 25 in all. We had hoped to have at least another three, but it was not to be. Still many people said it was an impressive sight - and sound! It will be running tomorrow as well.

This is terrific but the one aspect that could make it look true to form would be to have only a brakevan at the rear, and for the loco to shunt that vehicle from one end of the train to the other at each terminus. This takes extra time, but goods trains in the days of old weren't renowned for speed.

It always looks silly to my eyes to see a brakevan immediately behind the loco(s).

Flying Phil

Established Member
Hi Railfan
I agree with you that a brake van behind the locomotive does not look quite "Right", but the reality of running to a tight timetable during a gala event means that the extra time to relocate a single brake van at each terminus would severely impact on the number of trains that can be run. For charter events they have run with a single brake van.
We are just grateful that they get to run and be seen out and about.
In 2023 it is the 30th Anniversary of the volunteer team (19th June 1993), so we will be making an extra effort to get an even longer train running!

Great news in a press release from the GCR

"92214 to remain at the Great Central Railway!

We’re delighted to announce the successful outcome of negotiations enabling prized loco no 92214 to remain at its Great Central Railway home.

In mid-2022, the loco’s owner, indicated a wish to secure its longer term future. As a result, negotiations began with a view to 92214 staying at GCR. Chairman Richard Patching comments: “Negotiations can’t always be rapid and maintaining confidentiality for everyone is paramount; nevertheless, the discussions proved to be positive and cordial throughout, leading to a most successful outcome for all parties. Patience pays off and I’m sure all GCR supporters will welcome the result.”

The owner felt an important factor was that 92214 should remain at GCR where it will be well looked after and continue to play its part as a true main line loco on a double track railway.

The loco is an ex British Railways 9F 2-10-0 tender loco – a type designed in the 1950s specifically for hauling heavy freight trains, but also often used on passenger trains. Locos of this class were employed extensively on GCR until the mid-1960s which coincided with the line’s rundown/ closure by British Railways.

The acquisition has been achieved by the GCR’s supporting charity David Clarke Railway Trust becoming its owner, and financed with the help of a benefactor who wishes to remain anonymous".

This locomotive looks so good in front of our Windcutter wagons.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Great news in a press release from the GCR

"92214 to remain at the Great Central Railway!

We’re delighted to announce the successful outcome of negotiations enabling prized loco no 92214 to remain at its Great Central Railway home.

In mid-2022, the loco’s owner, indicated a wish to secure its longer term future. As a result, negotiations began with a view to 92214 staying at GCR. Chairman Richard Patching comments: “Negotiations can’t always be rapid and maintaining confidentiality for everyone is paramount; nevertheless, the discussions proved to be positive and cordial throughout, leading to a most successful outcome for all parties. Patience pays off and I’m sure all GCR supporters will welcome the result.”

The owner felt an important factor was that 92214 should remain at GCR where it will be well looked after and continue to play its part as a true main line loco on a double track railway.

The loco is an ex British Railways 9F 2-10-0 tender loco – a type designed in the 1950s specifically for hauling heavy freight trains, but also often used on passenger trains. Locos of this class were employed extensively on GCR until the mid-1960s which coincided with the line’s rundown/ closure by British Railways.

The acquisition has been achieved by the GCR’s supporting charity David Clarke Railway Trust becoming its owner, and financed with the help of a benefactor who wishes to remain anonymous".

This locomotive looks so good in front of our Windcutter wagons.

That is good new Phil. It’s an excellent loco and it suits the line so well.

Many will not like this but for me a tourist/leisure line has about as much need for one of these as the proverbial fish for a bicycle. Railways please learn to control your expenses for it's curtains if you don't.

LowLevel

Established Member
Many will not like this but for me a tourist/leisure line has about as much need for one of these as the proverbial fish for a bicycle. Railways please learn to control your expenses for it's curtains if you don't.
Nowhere has any practical use for a 9F or any other heavy freight loco. However for demonstration purposes there's no reason not to have at least one or two working and the GCR is as good a place as any to see one.

On Moderation
There's rather more use/need for a working 9F than there is for a Castle that both duplicates other locos and hasn't run in 50 years. I rather think you have the wrong target.

Flying Phil

Established Member
This is a very valid point of view ....But - when significant funding is coming from various sources which emphasise "Educational" aspects of railways as well as donations from enthusiasts, large freight locomotives are an essential element. Many visitors also travel to see such locomotives. Witness the changing fortunes of the Spa Valley line since the arrival of a large green engine - to be followed by another! It should be noted that the GCR is, of course, a preserved Main Line.....

Magdalia

Established Member
Read this bit again:

92214 should remain at GCR where it will be well looked after and continue to play its part as a true main line loco on a double track railway.

The GCR is the most appropriate preserved railway of all for a 9F.

Magdalia

Established Member
Oh come on. All 9Fs should have stayed in Barry... ;)

9Fs are a hugely important part of our railway history. We need a working example of something that we still thought was a good idea to build in 1959. If we could only save one BR Standard steam loco it would need to be a 9F.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
9Fs are a hugely important part of our railway history. We need a working example of something that we still thought was a good idea to build in 1959. If we could only save one BR Standard steam loco it would need to be a 9F.

Completely agree and the GCR is the perfect place to see one in action.

d9009alycidon

This is terrific but the one aspect that could make it look true to form would be to have only a brakevan at the rear, and for the loco to shunt that vehicle from one end of the train to the other at each terminus. This takes extra time, but goods trains in the days of old weren't renowned for speed.

It always looks silly to my eyes to see a brakevan immediately behind the loco(s).

I grew up in a house that overlooked the embankment between Coatdyke and Airdrie stations and in the 1960s and 70s the unfitted freight flows on this line were mainly coal and scrap from Bathgate to Mossend, as all these trains reversed on the Gunnie Branch at Sunnyside Junction Coatbridge they all had a brake van at each end so I find it totally normal to see this

Skymonster

Established Member
Well, GCR hasn’t wasted any time repainting the 9F, which is now BR lined black. Hopefully the inauthentic “City of Leicester“ nameplates will also be a thing of the past soon, if not already.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well, GCR hasn’t wasted any time repainting the 9F, which is now BR lined black. Hopefully the inauthentic “City of Leicester“ nameplates will also be a thing of the past soon, if not already.

So why have a dig about that then? Did you have to pay for the Dulux? :lol:

D6968

Isn’t BR Lined Black as inaccurate as BR Green for 92214? (And yes I know it carried lined black at the start of its current ticket under its previous owner) :D

Harvester

Established Member
Does not 92214’s boiler ticket expire this year? Hence a longish spell out of use is looming!