Great Northern single - cheaper to get a web return?

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Mobydick, 16 Aug 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mobydick

Mobydick New Member

Hello,

The week before last I got some great help on here and as part of that the Great Northern web only fares were suggested.

This Monday I am taking the family up to Edinburgh from London on the sleeper (great value!) and returning on Friday from Edinburgh to Peterborough on Virgin East Coast (in 1st class by cashing in some old East Coast rewards). There are five of us (2 adults, three children but two are 4 and under) and we have a Family Railcard.

We need tickets to travel down from Arlesey to London on Monday evening (to catch the sleeper) and then from Peterborough to Arlesey on Friday evening (when we return). It seems that the Great Northern web only fares are for returns only but they seem cheaper than singles. Am I therefore best getting the web fare returns for both legs (2 adults and one child with a Family Railcard) and then not use the return portion of both?

It seems mad!

Thanks in advance.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Hadders

Hadders Fares Advisor

That's correct! The Great Northern Web Fares are a promotion until September to encourage leisure travel by train. I know we don't like supermarket comparisons on here but think about it like 500g Cornflakes being on promotion but not 1kg ones. It's better value to buy the 500g ones!

So in this case it's cheaper to buy a web day return and throw away the return portion.

A couple of other things:

- Great Northern offer Groupsave where 3 adults can travel for the price of 2. Purchase an adult ticket for your older child an it's effectively free. A child travelling with an adult ticket is perfectly allowable. Great Northern's website will automatically apply the Groupsave discount.
    - You will need to make your own way between Kings Cross and Euston. It's a 15 minute walk or take the bus. It'll take longer to get the Underground!
    - You can get a web saver fare between Peterborough and Arlesey for your return journey.

4. 34D

34D Established Member

Too early in the morning for my brain, but is a FAMily railcard for 2 adult and 1 child not cheaper?

Ie 200% for three adults on groupsave, but 67% + 67% plus whatever the CHFAM percentage is?

5. Hadders

Hadders Fares Advisor

Oops! I'd missed the bit about the OP having a Family Railcard :oops:

In that case it's cheaper to use the Family Railcard rather than Groupsave.

6. Stats

Stats Member

And that's why DfT want to introduce single leg pricing, and which GTR will be introducing next year.

7. Mobydick

Mobydick New Member

Strike all this. Was either me being an idiot or the system playing up. Quite probably the former.

Many thanks. Even odder now though. I just priced up the tickets using the Great Northern website (which appears to use Southern) and the prices for the Arlesey - Kings Cross return tickets are as expected:

£22.75 Web fare using the Family Railcard
    £24.75 if using Groupsave (no railcard)

However on the Peterborough - Arlesey return tickets the Groupsave is cheaper:

£18.75 if using Groupsave (no railcard)
    £20.50 Web fare using the Family Railcard

Confused!

Last edited: 16 Aug 2015
  8. Hadders

Hadders Fares Advisor

It shows £14.30 for me. Make sure you've selected 2 adults and 1 child and you've selected Family Railcard.

9. gray1404

gray1404 Established Member

I've not heard of these GTR webfares. Is there a page online giving details about them? .................... :) Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.