• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Western Electrification Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

XDM

As well as being in case of an electric train routed the wrong way, it also means that if that branch is later wired, then they don't have to mess around with the junction and close the main line.

Not always true that wires extending on to the Marlow branch, as exampled, are to save trouble if they later decide to electrify it.
In fact it can add to costs.
The first 400 yards onto the Gospel Oak Barking line were electrified when the North London line was 25kv'd years ago. All torn down a few months ago by NR's contractors & replaced with sticks etc feet from the ones that had been trashed. Why?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

59CosG95

Established Member
Quick question on the state of play at Reading West Curve: are both the Down & Up lines there wired now? Last I heard the Up Curve has Catenary & Contact wires installed, while the Down Curve only has Catenary.

3973EXL

Established Member
Quick question on the state of play at Reading West Curve: are both the Down & Up lines there wired now? Last I heard the Up Curve has Catenary & Contact wires installed, while the Down Curve only has Catenary.

Still a contact wire missing when I last saw it, Tuesday.

I was at Cardiff Station on a freezing cold night last Friday and I am sure that steelwork was not there, there was a pacer in platform 0 at the time, anyway that is one less to put up then!, thanks for pointing this out.

Three masts have appeared in the last 72-48 hours on Platform 0 and there is a small area fenced off on platforms 1&2 today.

I'm plesently surprised that it's happening now I assumed wiring the station would be a long way off.

Last edited:

ANP1990

On a slightly related note, the new footbridge at Newbury has been going up at a rate of knots. In the past two days, Network Rail have put in the steps and the deck across the line.

3973EXL

Established Member
B&H first catenary and contact wire run up on the down between Thatcham and Newbury RC.

Couple of not very clear shots from a Turbo.
DSC00368.JPG DSC00369.JPG

Also a lot of other wire gone up on masts between Thatcham and Newbury RC.
DSC00365.JPG DSC00366.JPG

Added more photos to post #6135 of Newbury FB.

Lineside and compound from Frouds Lane Aldermaston.
DSC00372.JPG DSC00373.JPG DSC00370.JPG

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
^^^
Seems odd that they sometimes choose to arrange the lifts with doors on opposite sides at platform and footbridge level. Seems to me it adds complexity, there are similar footbridges around where the platform doors are under the stairs and bridge...

Non Multi

^^^
Seems odd that they sometimes choose to arrange the lifts with doors on opposite sides at platform and footbridge level. Seems to me it adds complexity, there are similar footbridges around where the platform doors are under the stairs and bridge...
At least you won't need to reverse or turn around in the lift to get out.

Southsider

^^^
Wheelchair or pram can pass straight through.

deltic08

On Moderation
Also, new bridge now up at Newbury Station, fast work!

I can't believe it, a replacement station footbridge with a roof for protection from the elements. The passenger coming first for once! How many times does that happen?
Do readers know of any other instances here this has happened with replacement station bridges?

Last edited by a moderator:

Non Multi

I can't believe it, a replacement station footbridge with a roof for protection from the elements. The passenger coming first for once! How many times does that happen?
Do readers know of any other instances here this has happened with replacement station bridges?
Goring and Streatley: old versus new.

jimm

Established Member
Twyford, Goring & Streatley, Axminster.... hardly a revelation

coppercapped

Established Member
Tilehurst - but no lifts. (Can be added later, though).

Sean Emmett

Well on the Waterloo to Reading line quite a few.
Staines had an uncovered Station Foot Bridge, now has covered SFB with lifts.
Ditto Virginia Water, Bracknell and Wokingham.

Ascot has a new covered SFB across all 3 platforms with lifts to replace the uncovered one spanning only two. This complements the subway.

HowardGWR

Established Member
wait what does this mean? Bristol is back on the table?
Who has said it is 'off'? AIUI, it is just a dish to be served later, at least at present. Or did you mean Bristol Parkway? That's full steam ahead at present.

snowball

Established Member
One or both routes to Bristol TM will probably be wired in CP6 but, as has been repeatedly stated, there is no guarantee of this. They were deferred indefinitely just over a year ago. Similarly Didcot-Oxford and the two Thames branches. They will have to re-justify themselves financially.

Status
Not open for further replies.