• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Western Electrification Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowball

Established Member
Now live more than half way from Paddington to Bristol (Parkway or TM) or Severn Tunnel East.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

59CosG95

Established Member
Now live more than half way from Paddington to Bristol (Parkway or TM) or Severn Tunnel East.
*cranks up the Bon Jovi*

That is great news to hear! I await further pictures of Swindon to Parkway/Chippenham with interest, now that wires are over halfway there. Next big thing to watch will of course be the Patchway blockade to get the conductor rails all installed in the tunnels around there...while I think the progress on the English side of the Severn Tunnel has been fantastic, I'm still waiting for a big spurt of work between Newport & Severn Tunnel West.

oglord

Some new six-track portals have appeared at the west end of Newport High Street, in addition to the new four-track and TTC the other side of the bridge.

Attachments

• IMG_2981.JPG
    IMG_2981.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 172

59CosG95

Established Member
Some new six-track portals have appeared at the west end of Newport High Street, in addition to the new four-track and TTC the other side of the bridge.
Very informative shot there @oglord! Couple of questions; is that gantry with the bagged-up signals due to be removed at some point? It looks like it poses an obstacle to wiring.
A quick search on Flickr also showed that a 4-track portal has gone up east of the new footbridge as well.

JN114

Established Member
Very informative shot there @oglord! Couple of questions; is that gantry with the bagged-up signals due to be removed at some point? It looks like it poses an obstacle to wiring.
A quick search on Flickr also showed that a 4-track portal has gone up east of the new footbridge as well.

I suspect it will go, that’s the “old” gantry with new signals on posts.

oglord

Yes, it is already replaced by the signal poles in front. See the attached picture for when it was brand-new in September 2010, before resignalling. I thought then that it was electrification-proof. It seems rather a waste of money for less than eight years' service.
Yes, that is what I meant by "new four-track" the other side of the bridge.

Attachments

• IMG_0212.JPG
    IMG_0212.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 114

JN114

Established Member
Yes, it is already replaced by the signal poles in front. See the attached picture for when it was brand-new in September 2010, before resignalling. I thought then that it was electrification-proof. It seems rather a waste of money for less than eight years' service.

A lot of the more recent (90s-onward) resignalling schemes on the Western were made “Electrification Proof” - unfortunately that Electrification proofing was done against existing OHLE designs, and didn’t account for a whole new system with new clearance minima and so on being installed.

Didcot - Swindon has also seen a number of Electrification-proof gantries torn down and replaced by lightweight post signals.

snowball

Established Member
The only signal gantries I ever remember seeing in electrified areas are those where the signals hang down from the gantry. I'm surprised that a different one would be considered electrification-proof.

3973EXL

Established Member
Work at Theale today.
Wires went up in the last block, checking and adjusting.
DSC01043.JPG DSC01044.JPG DSC01047.JPG DSC01042.JPG DSC01045.JPG DSC01049.JPG DSC01050.JPG DSC01046.JPG

Most SPS is up from MP38 1/4 west to Theale (no SPS up east of this).
Odd mast to be fitted, including two at Calcot Mill FP crossing and around point work Theale east. One mast not up east of the M4, up side (close to overhead electric cables).
M4 bridge, registration arms fitted to brackets on the down side wall. Up side just brackets fitted so far.

Could be around four masts to go up west of Southcote J, down side.

Swindon road.
Steventon down loop wired.
Bourton down wired.
Swindon looks all complete.

Wires run nearly to Alderton Tunnel, up line same as before but the down now looks closer to the tunnel.
Some wired sections on both lines between Alderton & Chipping Sodbury tunnels. Section just before Sodbury Tunnel still to be fitted with SPS on both roads.
Wires from west portal of the tunnel for a short distance then various gaps on both roads to Westerleigh. Down stops just short of the junction. Sodbury up loop wired.

Shouldn't take much to finish the wires to Westerleigh!

59CosG95

Established Member
Work at Theale today.
Wires went up in the last block, checking and adjusting.
View attachment 47894 View attachment 47895 View attachment 47896 View attachment 47897 View attachment 47898 View attachment 47899 View attachment 47900 View attachment 47901

Most SPS is up from MP38 1/4 west to Theale (no SPS up east of this).
Odd mast to be fitted, including two at Calcot Mill FP crossing and around point work Theale east. One mast not up east of the M4, up side (close to overhead electric cables).
M4 bridge, registration arms fitted to brackets on the down side wall. Up side just brackets fitted so far.

Could be around four masts to go up west of Southcote J, down side.

Swindon road.
Steventon down loop wired.
Bourton down wired.
Swindon looks all complete.

Wires run nearly to Alderton Tunnel, up line same as before but the down now looks closer to the tunnel.
Some wired sections on both lines between Alderton & Chipping Sodbury tunnels. Section just before Sodbury Tunnel still to be fitted with SPS on both roads.
Wires from west portal of the tunnel for a short distance then various gaps on both roads to Westerleigh. Down stops just short of the junction. Sodbury up loop wired.

Shouldn't take much to finish the wires to Westerleigh!
Indeed, that "go live" date of 7/6/18 to Wootton Bassett Jct looks very possible! Has anything to that regard changed, @Mintona?

Phil G

Contact wire and catenary on down line extend to Langley Burrel crossing and into distance towards chippenham so I assume it reaches cocklebury road bridge which is the end of the wires. Langley Burrel compound looks pretty deserted with a few masts and booms lying on the ground.

superkev

Established Member
The latest weekly operating notice (WON) still lists that as the go live date. I have no further information than that.
Sorry I've lost track. Currently how far from Paddington do the trains use electric power and will this change when Wooton Bassett goes live?
Thanks

JN114

Established Member
Sorry I've lost track. Currently how far from Paddington do the trains use electric power and will this change when Wooton Bassett goes live?
Thanks

Didcot and No.

Energisation =\= In Passenger use.

FGW_DID

Established Member
Indeed, that "go live" date of 7/6/18 to Wootton Bassett Jct looks very possible! Has anything to that regard changed, @Mintona?

The latest weekly operating notice (WON) still lists that as the go live date. I have no further information than that.

Energisation notice sent out this morning:

Wires to Wooton Bassett Junction to be considered live from 22:50 hrs Friday 8th June 2018.

Mintona

Established Member
Thanks

It is confusing! The wires are cleared for passenger use to Didcot Parkway. stopping trains on the Up changeover whilst at the station to electric, all others (up non-stopping and down stopping and non-stopping) changeover at Moreton Cutting*.

The wires and associated equipment from Didcot Parkway to Wantage Road were energised last weekend (or at least were supposed to be, I’ve not heard this hasn’t happened). And this weekend they will be energised from Wantage Road through to Wootton Bassett Junction. None of the wires west Didcot Parkway are cleared for passenger operation yet, and so will now be subject to a test phase. I imagine they are currently being turned on as and when required, but they are to be treated as live now at all times. I’m certainly not touching them to find out. Hopefully by about September they will be signed off by the ORR and cleared for passenger use.

*Whilst down trains can changeover at Moreton Cutting, there is currently an instruction that if only one person is in the cab, the changeover should take place whilst stopped at Reading. This is to ensure the driver doesn’t forget and end up passing through Didcot still on electric and onto a currently unenergised or unauthorised section of electric track.

Jimini

Established Member
*Whilst down trains can changeover at Moreton Cutting, there is currently an instruction that if only one person is in the cab, the changeover should take place whilst stopped at Reading. This is to ensure the driver doesn’t forget and end up passing through Didcot still on electric and onto a currently unenergised or unauthorised section of electric track.

Interesting stuff, thanks Mintona.

Appreciate this is a rare one, but yesterday I caught the delayed 0700 from Paddington to Swindon (final destination Bristol Temple Meads). As it was 29mins late leaving PAD it ran fast from there to SWI. Pretty sure it didn’t stop at Chippenham or Bath Spa either because of the late running.

I’d not passed through Reading non-stop before so that was first! But my somewhat circuitous route to my question is: where would this service have changed traction given that it didn’t stop between Paddington and Swindon (if it was single-manned)? Cheers.

D1009

Established Member
ctio
It is confusing! The wires are cleared for passenger use to Didcot Parkway. stopping trains on the Up changeover whilst at the station to electric, all others (up non-stopping and down stopping and non-stopping) changeover at Moreton Cutting*.

The wires and associated equipment from Didcot Parkway to Wantage Road were energised last weekend (or at least were supposed to be, I’ve not heard this hasn’t happened). And this weekend they will be energised from Wantage Road through to Wootton Bassett Junction. None of the wires west Didcot Parkway are cleared for passenger operation yet, and so will now be subject to a test phase. I imagine they are currently being turned on as and when required, but they are to be treated as live now at all times. I’m certainly not touching them to find out. Hopefully by about September they will be signed off by the ORR and cleared for passenger use.

It certainly is confusing, and someone up thread posted that (assuming all goes well) authority for passenger use of the wires west of Didcot from the ORR will come in December, and actual use by passenger trains will not happen before the big timetable change in Jan 2019.

Are we to imply from your last paragraph that 800s normally have more than one person in the cab, or trains not calling at Didcot normally change traction mode at Reading?

Mintona

Established Member
Sincere apologies. I’ve just realised I missed a line out of my previous post. It should have read:

“*Whilst down trains can changeover at Moreton Cutting, there is currently an instruction that if only one person is in the cab, and the train is being driven with a generic headcode rather than the correct service headcode, the changeover should take place whilst stopped at Reading. This is to ensure the driver doesn’t forget and end up passing through Didcot still on electric and onto a currently unenergised or unauthorised section of electric track.”

If the correct service headcode is being used the above doesn’t apply as there is balise protection at Moreton Crossovers to ensure a train that hasn’t changed from electric to diesel will have the pantograph dropped automatically.

JN114

Established Member
Sincere apologies. I’ve just realised I missed a line out of my previous post. It should have read:

“*Whilst down trains can changeover at Moreton Cutting, there is currently an instruction that if only one person is in the cab, and the train is being driven with a generic headcode rather than the correct service headcode, the changeover should take place whilst stopped at Reading. This is to ensure the driver doesn’t forget and end up passing through Didcot still on electric and onto a currently unenergised or unauthorised section of electric track.”

If the correct service headcode is being used the above doesn’t apply as there is balise protection at Moreton Crossovers to ensure a train that hasn’t changed from electric to diesel will have the pantograph dropped automatically.

To expand for the lay-person - when setting up the train the crew have to enter the services’ headcode into the TMS - this enables features like the reservations; auto-announcements; and the auto traction changeover.

There have been issues with the database; so while these are resolved a series of “generic” headcodes are provided for the crew to use in the event the train doesn’t accept their normal headcode. Due to other database issues a train running on a generic headcode cannot currently be relied upon to initiate an auto-changeover itself.

Software updates were pushed to the TMS last weekend to theoretically resolve all the above; but either they haven’t actually resolved the issue, or there’s not enough confidence they’ve resolved the issue for them to rescind the instruction to drivers yet.

D1009

Established Member
To expand for the lay-person - when setting up the train the crew have to enter the services’ headcode into the TMS - this enables features like the reservations; auto-announcements; and the auto traction changeover.

There have been issues with the database; so while these are resolved a series of “generic” headcodes are provided for the crew to use in the event the train doesn’t accept their normal headcode. Due to other database issues a train running on a generic headcode cannot currently be relied upon to initiate an auto-changeover itself.

Software updates were pushed to the TMS last weekend to theoretically resolve all the above; but either they haven’t actually resolved the issue, or there’s not enough confidence they’ve resolved the issue for them to rescind the instruction to drivers yet.
Given the trains have been in service now for over seven months, that is rather worrying.

3973EXL

Established Member
B&H Wires

Both lines are wired from east of Theale (between platform ends and the crossover) to MP51 1/4 east of the Kennet Viaduct.
Theale Loop is wired from MP41 1/2 west, including point work at the Wigmore lane end.

Both lines are then wired from just east of the Racecourse bridge, off the Hambridge Rd roundabout, to just east of Racecouse station. This includes the pointwork and down passenger loop east of Racecourse station.

Masts
West of Theale I can see just two masts missing. These are at Newbury station.
The mast on plat 2 will have to go through the canopy roof. Plat 1 will be car park side of the canopy.
DSC01054.JPG
Booms/Portals
West of Theale I counted three missing. One east of Newbury and two in the station, includes one with no masts yet.
DSC01063.JPG
There are brackets on the underside of the bridge at the east end of Newbury station. SPS to be fitted here and on the missing steelwork when it goes up.
SPS also required on one structure just west of Newbury station and masts east of Rockingham Rd.
DSC01070.JPG DSC01058.JPG DSC01059.JPG

Other views west of Newbury.
DSC01056.JPG DSC01057.JPG DSC01060.JPG DSC01061.JPG

3973EXL

Established Member
Reading West access work.

Down side, looks like the asbestos waste has been removed.
DSC01075.JPG DSC01078.JPG DSC01077.JPG DSC01076.JPG

The_Engineer

Thanks for the update 3973EXL. It seems to be on course for the planned electric operation of Newbury trains.

alxndr

Established Member
Do we know if they successfully went live to Wootton Bassett last night?

Status
Not open for further replies.