• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Western Electrification Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Linda smith

I have had postal communication from network rail recently, the lines from bristol parkway to st Brides west of Newport are being energised on Saturday morning. They then go on to say that there will be a period of testing over the coming weeks & into the autumn. I would hope that they start running on electric power in december, because Cardiff central is not due to be wired until christmas. And when you add onto that the finalising of all the cabling required, plus testing when the final section eventually goes live, I would not expect the whole line to be live until late spring at the earliest.

Mintona

Established Member
I doubt they’ll bother running in service electric until Cardiff is completed. It’ll be daft to have a pan up/down point for just a couple of months, it just causes confusion. Might as well wait until the whole lot is ready for it.

Jacob Didcote

I doubt they’ll bother running in service electric until Cardiff is completed. It’ll be daft to have a pan up/down point for just a couple of months, it just causes confusion. Might as well wait until the whole lot is ready for it.

Depends on how far the knitting runs between Cardiff and Newport. If it runs just short of Cardiff, drivers can pan down on the move and switch to Diesel mode to run into Cardiff, Shouldn't be a problem. Should be the same on returning, the OHL are strengthened to with stand Pan up and Pan down on the move. Oh well, we'll just wait to see how they do it!

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Why not just switch over whilst stationary at Newport? No need for any strengthened knitting then.

coppercapped

Established Member
Depends on how far the knitting runs between Cardiff and Newport. If it runs just short of Cardiff, drivers can pan down on the move and switch to Diesel mode to run into Cardiff, Shouldn't be a problem. Should be the same on returning, the OHL are strengthened to with stand Pan up and Pan down on the move. Oh well, we'll just wait to see how they do it!

Why not just switch over whilst stationary at Newport? No need for any strengthened knitting then.
Several GW and other railway insiders have posted, possibly in this thread but certainly elsewhere in RUK, that there is no such beast as 'strengthened' OHLE where trains may raise their pantographs if travelling at speeds in excess of 20mph. The only criteria for raising the pans at speeds in excess of 20mph are that:
  • there is no crossing work, with the contact and catenary wires running over the crossing track
  • no neutral or isolation sections
  • be clear of the wire overlap at the ends of the tension lengths.
To assist the drivers these places are signed.

Jacob Didcote

Several GW and other railway insiders have posted, possibly in this thread but certainly elsewhere in RUK, that there is no such beast as 'strengthened' OHLE where trains may raise their pantographs if travelling at speeds in excess of 20mph. The only criteria for raising the pans at speeds in excess of 20mph are that:
  • there is no crossing work, with the contact and catenary wires running over the crossing track
  • no neutral or isolation sections
  • be clear of the wire overlap at the ends of the tension lengths.
To assist the drivers these places are signed.
Have been told in the past OHLE is along several lines such as the GWML is strengthened

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Have been told in the past OHLE is along several lines such as the GWML is strengthened
I believe the hardware is strengthened compared to earlier designs/installations, (to deal with multiple pantograph running at high speeds), but it is not specifically strengthened at changeover points.

Jacob Didcote

I believe the hardware is strengthened, (to deal with multiple pantograph running at high speeds), compared to earlier installations, but is not specifically strengthened at changeover points.

Ah i see. Gonna be good to run under the knitting on the IETs to Cardiff, they bloomin' fly under the wires

59CosG95

Established Member
It is strengthened throughout the Series 1 route relative to other schemes; while the ECML, for instance, uses 11kN catenary & 11kN contact wire tensioned off the same balance weight via an equalising plate, the GWML uses 12kN catenary & 15kN contact wire, independently tensioned using Tensorex. This higher contact wire tension means that panning up & panning down can be done anywhere that it's located; it's just in the best interest of driver route knowledge to fix the pan drop point at specified locations (e.g Moreton Cutting (nr Didcot), Langley Burrell (nr Chippenham), Coalpit Heath (nr Bristol Parkway)).

Dai Corner

Established Member
Ah i see. Gonna be good to run under the knitting on the IETs to Cardiff, they bloomin' fly under the wires

Except the line speed doesn't exceed (without looking it up) 90mph. They may be quick off the mark but will feel slow compared with east of Bristol Parkway.

delticdave

I'm confused, after reading the last 4/5 pages on this thread I'm still not sure if the solid conductor rails through the Severn Tunnel are going "live" today? (14.09.'19)
If they are live when / how will the corrosion problems be corrected?

DC

hwl

Established Member
I'm confused, after reading the last 4/5 pages on this thread I'm still not sure if the solid conductor rails through the Severn Tunnel are going "live" today? (14.09.'19)
If they are live when / how will the corrosion problems be corrected?

DC
The problem isn't the solid conductor rails themselves but the earth bonding points into the brickwork.

delticdave

The problem isn't the solid conductor rails themselves but the earth bonding points into the brickwork.

My bad, query not worded properly......

Q? Is the electrification through the Severn Tunnel live yet??

kevin_roche

Project Postponements
  • Thames Valley Branches:
    • Windsor & Henley deferred to at least CP6. The first few yards of the Windsor branch (Not the Henley Branch) have been wired as an overrun.
    • Marlow removed from scope of current programme. The first few yards of the branch have been wired as an overrun.
    • Southcote Jct to Basingstoke deferred to at least CP6. The first few yards of the Basingstoke Lines have been wired as an overrun.

I went to a meeting of the Thames Valley branch of the Institution of Engineering Technology held in Reading on 5th September. At the meeting Paul Stanford Network Rail Programme Director Western Route gave an overview of changes made for Crossrail and of the overall electrification project. After his talk I asked him what was the latest plans for the Southcote Jct to Basingstoke electrification work and he said it "was not scheduled in CP6".

The Ham

Established Member
I went to a meeting of the Thames Valley branch of the Institution of Engineering Technology held in Reading on 5th September. At the meeting Paul Stanford Network Rail Programme Director Western Route gave an overview of changes made for Crossrail and of the overall electrification project. After his talk I asked him what was the latest plans for the Southcote Jct to Basingstoke electrification work and he said it "was not scheduled in CP6".

Which is a shame, however with (hopefully) the introduction of the 769's I can see why it has become a lower priority.

As such I would expect that it would start to become more of a priority late CP7 early CP8 when the 769's are possibly needing to be started to be withdrawn. Although such an infill would also benefit XC services (as duel voltage units are easier and therefore cheaper than bimodal, especially bimodal units which also been to be able to use duel voltage to avoid diesel running over the third rail network) as & when the electrification of the Chiltern Line is planned, or at least the electrification of the Birmingham services out to Leamington Spa and the like.

Meerkat

Established Member
Wouldn’t electrification to Basingstoke need frozen plans for the Basingstoke flyover and a decision on any capacity improvements at Southcote (surely its time for a flyover there?)?

kevin_roche

Wouldn’t electrification to Basingstoke need frozen plans for the Basingstoke flyover and a decision on any capacity improvements at Southcote (surely its time for a flyover there?)?
I know the Basingstoke flyover is not planned until CP7. I have seen some discussion about a third track between Southcote and Reading West. I can't remember where.

Last edited:

Fougasse

Energised from St. Bride's to Maindee at approximately 17:30.
Re-reading this, it's not as clear as I intended!
Too many night shifts! The St. Bride's section was energised as far as Maindee Junction, just to the East of Newport Station. The sub-section from Maindee out to St Bride's itself has not yet been energised but should be soon.

59CosG95

Established Member
Re-reading this, it's not as clear as I intended!
Too many night shifts! The St. Bride's section was energised as far as Maindee Junction, just to the East of Newport Station. The sub-section from Maindee out to St Bride's itself has not yet been energised but should be soon.
So, is that from BPW (or thereabouts), through the Severn Tunnel, to Maindee Jct?

Linda smith

If it is correct, according to this weeks week on network rail video released yesterday
, St Brides - Newport & Bristol parkway is now live.

59CosG95

Established Member
GWML Electrification: State of Play, as of week commencing 16/9/19.
All mileages given from Paddington, except where noted.
Paddington to Wootton Bassett Jct - LIVE
  • All main line tracks wired as far as Wootton Bassett Jct, and are to be considered "live" as such. From Wootton Bassett Jct, the envelope of "live" wires continues along the South Wales Main Line to Filton Jct (inc. Bristol Parkway), and to the Limits of Wiring on the Berks & Hants line and Reading-Basingstoke Line; details are given below.
  • TTCs have replaced/been replacing headspans at various locations within London - locations include Westway (beneath the A40), Acton Main Line, Ealing Broadway, and between Southall & H&H. These are part of the works for the Elizabeth Line.
  • Everything wired at Reading (bar P4-6 which were never in the plan). Includes the TCD & the curves, down to Reading West (see B&H section).
  • West of Didcot Parkway, all lines are wired & live heading towards Swindon.
  • Everything wired at Swindon (bar the goods lines north of P1, where provision is provided).

Small Points
  • ATF wires in operation from Maidenhead to Wootton Bassett; Kensal Green to Maidenhead currently operating as boosterless classic but will be AT-ready in the near future. AT wires up along this stretch now; whether they are live remains to be seen.
  • Parapet Work extended upwards at Southbury Lane Bridge, Ruscombe; the wing walls remain unfinished. Original Coping stones have now been replaced.
  • Platforms all extended from Reading (exc.) to Didcot Parkway.
  • Few masts and cantilevers now up on the Didcot Avoiding Line, which finish at Appleford; Appleford LC being the limit of structures for the time being.
  • Oxford Lines west of Didcot Pkwy wired as far as the loco fuelling sdg; Down Oxford as far as 53m 31ch, Up Oxford as far as 53m 42ch. Didcot avoiding lines have sprouted masts (4 portals, 2 TTCs), with a wire pair over the Down Didcot Avoider.
  • A note on Steventon: Wires up under the High St Bridge (aka the "Brunel Bridge"); however, the bridge may well be demolished in CP6. "Temporary" parapet work to protect passers-by from stray currents now complete. Wires west of Causeway Crossing are only authorised for passenger service on 80x trains in both directions, however, 387s are allowed to run empty to/from Cocklebury sidings under AC. Modelling data suggests that electric trains can run safely beneath the bridge at 110mph; as such, the current speed differential of 60mph for EMUs and 125 for DMUs is due to have been replaced with a universal 110mph PSR from 15th September 2019. IETs will no longer have to undertake traction changeover at Denchworth(?) to the west, and Moreton Cutting to the east. The discussion continues.
  • Overruns through Swindon Jct (77m 36ch) onto the Golden Valley Line have also been wired.
  • Swindon Cocklebury Sidings in operation for Class 387 stabling as of 2/1/19.

The "Main Line"; Wootton Bassett Jct - Chippenham (Cocklebury Lane Bridge) - LIVE
Until further notice, the 25kV transmission wires will run in a trough from Cocklebury Lane Bridge (just east of Chippenham) to Thingley Jct. Large steelwork is expected to remain in situ until wiring is authorised west of Thingley, but some specific items may be poached if required elsewhere (and duplicates aren't stored at RAF Wroughton). Details given in the "Postponements" section.
  • Both lines are LIVE, signed off for passenger use, and in service from Wootton Bassett Jct to Christian Malford (93m 31ch) as of 0700 on 21/04/2019 (Easter Sunday).
  • Catenary, contact & Earth wires are up over/adj. to both lines from Cocklebury Lane to Wootton Bassett Jct.
  • Limit of AT Feeding: the Auto-Transformer at Christian Malford.

Chippenham (Cocklebury Lane Bridge) - Thingley Jct
  • No piles in Chippenham station, nor any masts affixed to the viaduct.
  • All piles in and majority of masts (and cantilevers) up from the western end of the viaduct to Thingley Junction (where the feeder station will be). Most TTCs have booms from beyond the viaduct to Thingley East Junction. About 14 masts are up in the vicinity of Thingley Feeder Stn, 2 of which have TTC booms affixed. Another has an STC boom.
  • Piles continue westwards to the next bridge.

Thingley Jct - Keynsham
  • No wiring for the foreseeable future, but overbridges between Thingley Jct & Box Tunnel have all been rebuilt. Corsham Main Road Bridge needs its parapets raising. New aqueduct & footbridge at Corsham complete.
  • Both Box & Middle Hill Tunnels have had track lowered.
  • A new footbridge has been built at Ashley Box.
  • Piles also in (and have been for over a year) at Ashley (beyond Box Tunnel) - these might well be trial piles.
  • Bathampton Jct to beyond Sydney Gardens has had track lowered. A new signal gantry at Bathampton Jct was installed over Xmas 2017 and is now in use after the removal of the old gantry in May 2019.
  • Bath Spa platforms realigned & raised, with track also slewed.
  • Track through Oldfield Park & Keynsham now lowered.
  • A lot of piles are in along the embankment around Saltford and Keynsham in readiness for future wiring.

South Wales Main Line (Wootton Bassett Jct-Bristol Parkway-Severn Tunnel-Newport-Cardiff)

Wootton Bassett Jct to Patchway Jct (inc. Bristol Parkway) - LIVE
  • Wires from Wootton Bassett Jct to Bristol Parkway in passenger service since 30/12/18.
  • All 6 through Lines at Bristol Parkway have been wired and are live.
  • Live wires continue to Patchway Jct (112m 68ch) & Stoke Gifford IEP Depot; Chipping Sodbury Goods Loop and the Cheltenham Curve overrun (as far as the limit of wiring) are also fully wired and live.
    • Limit of Live Wires on the Filton Lines (+ Down Bristol Parkway Relief): 112m 23ch.
    • Limit of Live Wires on the Charfield Lines (from Westerleigh Jct): 120m 59ch.
  • Filton Bank bridge works (mileages all from Temple Meads):
    • Easton Rd Overbridge (1m 18ch) completely rebuilt.
    • Narroways FB (2m 12ch) & Ashley Hill FB (3m 11ch) replaced.
    • Bonnington Walk Overbridge (3m 62ch) - parapets raised.
    • FB south of Filton Abbey Wood (4m 18ch) will need work if wiring is to occur.
Filton Jct - Severn Tunnel - Newport - St. Brides: due to go LIVE on 14/9/19
  • Stoke Gifford IET Depot all wired and energised.
  • Patchway Tunnels conductor rail installed.
  • Wires extend westwards from Filton Jct through Patchway and Pilning (across all lines) to the Severn Tunnel (on BOTH lines).
  • Severn Tunnel Conductor rail in place.
  • All wires are now LIVE from Up & Down Tunnel Line structure "BSW 181/747" and Up & Down Bristol Line structure "BSW 181/200" to Relief Lines & Main Lines structure "SWM 220/160" (162m 01ch). This also includes:
    • Both Pilning Loops;
    • the Up Tunnel Loop;
    • the Up Branch Down Loop in East Usk Yard;
    • all 4 platforms at Newport; and
    • the Up/Down Goods Loop adjacent to ADJ Yard.
    [*]The overruns at the following locations are also LIVE:
    • Main Lines + Down Relief from STJ to Caldicot structure "SWM 198/313" at 148m 33ch;
    • Up Service Line at structure "SWM 210/422" at 155m 78ch;
    • Up and Down Hereford Line at structure "HNL 213/668" at 41m 50ch (from the former Rotherwas Jn);
    • Gaer Branch Line at structure "SWM 216/293" at 159m 49ch; and
    • the Up/Dn Cardiff Curve at structure "SWM 216/844" at 0m 11ch.
    • Wires are now up over all lines (both Tunnel Lines, both Main Lines & the Down Relief) at STJ Station; this also includes the overruns on the mains towards Chepstow. Wires continue westwards to Somerton Rd Bridge (East Usk Yard); all 4 lines have C&C.
    • The Up Tunnel Loop between STJ & the Tunnel is fully wired.
    • Ground trunking installed at STJ in preparation for the electrical feed.
    • Feeder cables now hang from both the eastern set and western set of Switchgear Masts at STJ Feeder.
    • All previous gaps of C&C have now been closed between STJ & Newport.
    • 6-track portals, probably 'Vierendeels', going up around East Usk Yard (approx. MP157 1/2).
    • Switchgear installed on a TTC near Moorland Park, Newport.
    • Between the Maindee Jcts (157m 74ch to 158m 16ch), a cluster of piles is in beside the Down Relief; these are complemented by masted piles on the Main side (adjacent to the Up Main).
    • Both Up & Down Hereford Lines are wired between Maindee West Jct & Maindee North Jct (41m 03ch from the former Rotherwas Jct, just south of Hereford); the Limit of wires is just north of signal "NT 1559".
    • The gap between the Maindee Triangle (Caerleon Rd Bridge) & East Usk Yard (Somerton Rd Bridge) is closing, with the erection of a number of back-to-back non-Series 1 TTCs in East Usk Yard. The Reliefs are now fully wired between Somerton Rd & East Usk Yard.
    • At the AT Feeder Station at the Maindee Triangle, the tall masts have now gained their spanwires in readiness for the C&C below.
    • Wires are up over the Usk Bridge; C&C is now up over BOTH Relief lines from the Tensorex portal immediately east of the bridge, through P1 & the Through Lines at Newport and up to Hillfield Tunnel.

Newport
    • All canopies now cut back.
    • All steelwork in Newport is complete.
    • All wires are now up through the station; all are permanently registered.

St. Brides - Cardiff
    • The western limit of live wires is at St. Brides Feeder Station, at structure "SWM 220/160" (162m 01ch), as of 11:00 on 14th of September 2019.
    • Wires up across all 4 tracks between Pengam Jct (168m 40ch) & Marshfield; these are assumed to continue to St. Brides.
    • About 4 or 5 portals have been erected just west of Pengam Jct; 5 masts are up on the Up side east of Rover Lane bridge, complemented by 2 on the Down side.
    • 1 run of C&C has gone up between Moorland Road Jct (168m 65ch) and Long Dyke Jct (169m 35ch) over the Reliefs; this is assumed to be a crossover as it crosses from one Relief line to the other.
    • At Long Dyke Jct, all masts are up, and the ATF wire is now up over the Relief Lines.
    • In the Pellet St area, a Mid Point Anchor Portal Boom has now gone up.
    • Just east of St. Mary's St Bridge, 2 hexagonal Tensorex Portals have been erected over all tracks.
    • Over the bridge over St. Mary's Street in Cardiff (just east of Central), and immediately to the west of the bridge, 5 portal booms spanning all tracks have gone up.
    • Similar bespoke mast foundations are going in just east of Bute St Bridge, near the junction with the line from Queen Street.
    • Splott Rd Bridge upgrade work now complete.
    Cardiff Central - Platforms 0-4 to be wired
    • Re-signalling completed. Platform 0 now open. 3 masts now up over P0/1 with TTC booms.
    • An Anchor Portal (of the hexagonal "TGBU" variety) has gone up over P2/3, just east of the canopies.
    • All large steelwork for P4 is now in position.
    • Most (if not all) TTC masts for P2 & the Up Through Line, along with P3 & the Down Through Line have gone up at the station. Some already have SPS.
    • Brackets appear to be in place on the coping stones on the Taff Viaduct (at the western end of the station).
    • Plenty piles up adjacent to Cardiff Canton. Increasing numbers of these now appear to have masts on them, as seen from a westward-facing shot from Central.
    • 4 portal booms have gone up over the P2, P3 & Through lines immediately west of the station, behind the signal gantry.
    • Brickwork Sidings to be increased in length (and electrified) to accommodate GWR Class 387s; the first masts and cantilevers have now gone up, with around 2 boomed TTCs and 2 STCs in position.
    • Proposed Limit of Wiring: Leckwith Loop North Jct (171m 55ch) at a guess.
    Swansea IEP Depot
    • New IEP Depot at Maliphant Sidings, Swansea now complete; all steelwork up. SPS, such as Insulators, Switchgear and Cantilevers have all been taken down, leaving only bare masts/booms in situ.

GWML/SWML Blockade Works (2018):
    • 6/7 to 3/12: Reduced capacity (2 lines only) for wiring work between Newport & Cardiff Ctl.
    • 15/9 to 6/10, and 13/10 to 14/10: Bristol Parkway electrified.
    • 27/10 to 18/11, 24-25/11, 1-2/12: Filton Bank 4-tracked.
    • 11/11: Bristol TM to Bath Spa resignalled.
    • December blockades at Bristol Parkway & Didcot Parkway done.
    • Christmas-New Year Blockade at Severn Tunnel Jct done.

GWML/SWML Blockade Works (2019):
    • 20/1/19, and 10/2/19: Newport to Bridgend blockaded (inc. Cardiff Central) for electrification work AT Cardiff Central; both done.
    • 17/2/19: Bristol Parkway to Newport blockaded for electrification work over the Usk Bridge at Newport; done.
    • 31/3/19: Newport to Bridgend blockaded (inc. Cardiff Central) for electrification work AT Cardiff Central; done.
    • 19/4/19 to 22/4/19, and 27/4/19 to 28/4/19: Bristol Parkway to Newport blockaded for electrification work in the Severn Tunnel Junction area; done.
    • 9/6/19, and 16/6/19: Newport to Bridgend blockaded (inc. Cardiff Central) for electrification work; done.
    • 27/7/19 to 28/7/19: Bristol Parkway to Cardiff Central blockaded for electrification work; done.
    • 25/8/19 until 14:00: Bristol Parkway to Cardiff Central blockaded for electrification work; done.
    • 8/9/19 until 14:00: Bristol Parkway to Cardiff Central blockaded for electrification work; done.
    • 14/9/19 to 15/9/19: Newport to Bridgend blockaded (inc. Cardiff Central) for "the big switch-on"; done.
    • 22/9/19 until 14:00: Newport to Bridgend blockaded (inc. Cardiff Central) for electrification work.
    • 29/9/19 until 14:00: Newport to Bridgend blockaded (inc. Cardiff Central) for electrification work.
    • 13/10/19 until 14:00: Newport to Bridgend blockaded (inc. Cardiff Central) for electrification work.
    • 20/10/19 until 14:00: Newport to Bridgend blockaded (inc. Cardiff Central) for electrification work.
    • Details of any further OLE-related blockades will be added as they are made available.

Berks & Hants Line (Reading-Newbury) - LIVE
    Electric trains in squadron service.
    • Wires from Oxford Rd Jct are LIVE to the limits of electrification (53m 42ch on the Newbury Lines, 38m 07ch on the Basingstoke Lines) since 0650 on 21/10/18.
    • Class 387s are now in service on Reading-Newbury services as of 31/12/18.
    • Within Reading West, piles for the new footbridge (under Murphy's remit) are in, but have been "decapitated" (i.e. shortened) and capped until a new footbridge solution is found.
    • Immunised signalling continues to about MP55 1/2.

Project Postponements
    • Thames Valley Branches:
      • Windsor & Henley deferred to at least CP6. The first few yards of the Windsor branch (Not the Henley Branch) have been wired as an overrun.
      • Marlow removed from scope of current programme. The first few yards of the branch have been wired as an overrun.
      • Southcote Jct to Basingstoke deferred to at least CP6. The first few yards of the Basingstoke Lines have been wired as an overrun.
    • Appleford LC to Oxford paused; if CP6 accounts allow for wiring to be extended to Oxford, it would be very likely to happen now that Oxford has been remodelled.
    • Catenary & Contact wires between Chippenham (Cocklebury Lane Overbridge) & Thingley Jct have been deferred until at least some point in CP6. All Large steelwork to remain, unless required elsewhere.
    • Bristol Temple Meads to Bath & Bristol Parkway paused, dependent on Bristol resignalling:
      • Taunton-Bristol Parkway completed over Easter 2018;
      • Bristol Temple Meads to Bath Spa completed in November 2018;
      • The WSM stretch from Flax Bourton Tunnel to Cogload Jct remains outstanding;
      • Track remodelling of Bristol East Jct remains outstanding;
      • Filton Bank 4-tracking completed Autumn 2018.
      • Further Signalling works due in 2019: Bath Spa due to be resignalled over the 11th/12th of May, and the 23rd of June (both done).
    • Bristol Temple Meads' "Midland Shed" to be reopened in CP6 at the earliest, after Bristol resignalling is complete and the PSB is demolished.
    As always, do let me know if I've missed anything!
    (apologies to anyone who saw it in a state of source code chaos too).

Status
Not open for further replies.