• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Western Electrification Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
and as a bonus about a mile west of Maidenhead the first wiring between Maidenhead and Taplow is installed on the up relief, the support arms are installed from Maidenhead to about half way to Taplow.

Presumably you meant Twyford rather than Taplow?

I was just trying to work out when the first masts went up at Reading during the station rebuild.
Must have been about 3 years ago (Dec 2013?).
That's a long period for those big double-boom portals to be erected before anything was hung on them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chris125

Established Member
Hull is officially described as dropped, but that doesn't mean it will never be revived.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it was never confirmed as going ahead, it was simply a proposal that isn't currently going to be funded.

According to a mate of mine who has recently been down to Reading after the Christmas Engineering Works, Platforms 13 and 14 are now wired, which is good porgress. Pictures available in link:

https://flic.kr/p/QoQnFA

I've just come across another from platform level, looking good:

First Great Western 43147 (with 43138) 1C13 1227 Reading - Bristol Temple Meads. Reading Platform 14. 27th December 2016 by Ajax46., on Flickr

Last edited:

coppercapped

Established Member
Doesn't the constant wire height apparently being specified for the GW scheme mean it can't have any level crossings anyway?

At an IMechE meeting recently one of the Network Rail people working on the GW modernisation made some points relevant to this thread:

• as far as possible, a constant wire height was being aimed for. However it is known that this is not possible so the overhead design has to make sure gradients and changes in stiffness are within certain limits.
  • the Steventon issue has been known about for a long time. As the highways authority is not planning to replace the bridge within the next 10 years, NR has been trying to reach a compromise wire design that gets from the low height under the bridge to the height needed at the level crossing(s) without exceeding the desired limits. After many iterations a design that meets the requirements has not been found to be possible so many months ago NR accepted that an ideal design was not achievable. As a result NR is expecting, and planning for, a significant increase in wire wear rates at that location.
  • when the bridge is replaced the wire runs will be optimised.
  • this is a separate issue to the question of whether either or both level crossings can be replaced by one or more bridges.

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The 140mph spec which forced the constant wire height seems to be in the bin now, as DfT only requires 125mph.
That should simplify some of the bridge-and-crossing clearance issues (which also exist on the ECML).
We just can't seem to get the major system spec right.

The WCML managed to get rid of all its remaining crossings south of (I think) Preston as part of the 125mph upgrade.

coppercapped

Established Member

I was just trying to work out when the first masts went up at Reading during the station rebuild.
That's a long period for those big double-boom portals to be erected before anything was hung on them.

In the platform area the stanchions are integrated with the canopy supports so they were installed as the canopies were erected. There are no separate electrification masts in this area.

The supports in the station approaches were put up by the civils teams as part of all the other work - track realignment, building of platform walls, drainage installation and so on. The masts appeared in no particular order except when and where a construction team was active. So, without looking at photographs, the exact dates are moot!

Sorry it is Twyford, I should know what part of the country I am in!

Andrewlong

I seem to remember the station being closed during Easter 2013 and that's when the first masts appeared to east of station.

Does anyone know of any plans to run an electric powered test train from Paddington to Reading in 2017 !

HowardGWR

Established Member
The 140mph spec which forced the constant wire height seems to be in the bin now, as DfT only requires 125mph.
That should simplify some of the bridge-and-crossing clearance issues (which also exist on the ECML).
We just can't seem to get the major system spec right.

The WCML managed to get rid of all its remaining crossings south of (I think) Preston as part of the 125mph upgrade.
Is there an announcement to that effect (no 140 mph)? It's not exactly future-proofing is it, especially as there is no plan for HSL between London and Bristol.

Elecman

Established Member
Yes, I thought Norton had been replaced by a (bridleway) underpass but maybe not.
Otherwise Brock near Garstang is the next one to the north.

Norton still exists ( I was the 4 weeks ago) Brock is closed and replaced with a footbridge the only other crossing I can think of North of Lancaster is Hest Bank which is still open

Last edited:

snowball

Established Member
Is there an announcement to that effect (no 140 mph)? It's not exactly future-proofing is it, especially as there is no plan for HSL between London and Bristol.

The National Audit Office report that was published and discussed a few weeks ago said that the DfT took a long time to decide what speed to tell NR to design for and then settled on 125.

snowball

Established Member
There's an LC at Floriston between Carlisle and Gretna. I've driven over it several times by car though the last was some years ago. It's on the OS map and the Quail/Trackmaps map.

The same maps show two between Lancaster and Carnforth, one at Hest Bank and one at Bolton-le-Sands.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

Yes it was in the NAO report that DfT had finally told NR 125mph would be enough (in 2015 I think).
But NR were still working to 140mph in places.
The whole think reeks of finger-pointing.
NR will have spent a fortune already on the higher spec, knowing that dropping back to 125 will nullify all that work.
Most of the overspec piles will have been sunk, and the HOPS kit was expensively modified to cope with them, etc etc.
Apart from the OHLE structures, it will feed into the formation and resignalling costs.
There were also plans to upgrade the southern ECML, presumably also dead.

Dave1987

On Moderation
Yes it was in the NAO report that DfT had finally told NR 125mph would be enough (in 2015 I think).
But NR were still working to 140mph in places.
The whole think reeks of finger-pointing.
NR will have spent a fortune already on the higher spec, knowing that dropping back to 125 will nullify all that work.
Most of the overspec piles will have been sunk, and the HOPS kit was expensively modified to cope with them, etc etc.
Apart from the OHLE structures, it will feed into the formation and resignalling costs.
There were also plans to upgrade the southern ECML, presumably also dead.

It was 140mph working AND the need for two pantographs to be raised because the DFT had ordered 5 car sets that meant the OHLE had to be so over engineered. Single pantograph working at 140mph would not have been so bad but it was the DFTs insistence on doubled up 5 car workings at 140mph.

Taunton

Established Member
I hope the National Audit Office dig deeper into this.

Some consultant somewhere along the way has likely been paid on a percentage basis of the total project cost. Fees of 1% on a total £1bn project give you £10m in fees. Jack the overall project cost up to £2bn and you now get £20m in fees. So it is in the interests of those paid on a percentage basis to over-specify and design the most expensive solution they can get away with to drive costs up as much as possible.

Whoever was the "salesman" that sold the HOPS train needs to be specially investigated.

Last edited:

MK Tom

Established Member
Is continuous wiring in place as far as Reading yet? I'm just wondering how long it'll be until some of the 387s can be deployed onto Reading locals.

SWT_USER

Slightly related to electrification and probably not worth its own thread so I'll ask it here! Apologies if I have missed this elsewhere.

How are the reversals at Ealing Broadway working this week? All four platforms in use I assume but where are the nearest crossovers?

Are all four lines in use from Ealing Broadway to Reading with fasts and reliefs segregated in the usual way? Or are Host's terminating in P4 to avoid people having to use stairs when changing for the tube?

TheKnightWho

Established Member
I hope the National Audit Office dig deeper into this.

Some consultant somewhere along the way has likely been paid on a percentage basis of the total project cost. Fees of 1% on a total £1bn project give you £10m in fees. Jack the overall project cost up to £2bn and you now get £20m in fees. So it is in the interests of those paid on a percentage basis to over-specify and design the most expensive solution they can get away with to drive costs up as much as possible.

Whoever was the "salesman" that sold the HOPS train needs to be specially investigated.

That isn't how consultancy fees are calculated. Ever.

mathmo

Slightly related to electrification and probably not worth its own thread so I'll ask it here! Apologies if I have missed this elsewhere.

How are the reversals at Ealing Broadway working this week? All four platforms in use I assume but where are the nearest crossovers?

Are all four lines in use from Ealing Broadway to Reading with fasts and reliefs segregated in the usual way? Or are Host's terminating in P4 to avoid people having to use stairs when changing for the tube?

RTT seems to show what's happening quite well:
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/EAL/2016/12/29/1613?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

It looks like local trains and Oxford fasts are terminating in P2 whilst longer-distance HSTs are terminating in P4, presumably for the reasons you say. Everything seems to be on the main lines between Twyford and Southall so which way round they are at Ealing Broadway doesn't really matter.

The ECS moves show that trains are booked to reverse at Acton West.

takno

Established Member
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/EAL/2016/12/29/1613?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

It looks like local trains and Oxford fasts are terminating in P2 whilst longer-distance HSTs are terminating in P4, presumably for the reasons you say. Everything seems to be on the main lines between Twyford and Southall so which way round they are at Ealing Broadway doesn't really matter.

You can watch it happening at https://traksy.uk/live/M+25+ACTONML+-10 . Pretty much just carrying on down the fast/slow line slightly to the signal past Acton West, and then turning onto the shunt signal to come back

SWT_USER

Thanks. Presumably stopping anything at Hanwell and West Ealing was on the 'too difficult' pile then in view of the HST's using the reliefs, easier just to close them for 10 days :cry:

Last edited:

Trailfinder

Just done a return trip from Ealing Broadway to Hayes.

Local services, which seam to be all 5/6 carriages, are using platforms 1 and 2. and the long distance HSTs are using platforms 3 and 4. Trains terminate in platforms 2 and 4, then head east to Acton West and reverse back into the appropriate westbound platforms. Trains can also access Old Oak Common.

Passengers from the local services on platform 2 have to leave the platform by the new emergency footbridge at the London end of the platform, then walk back down platform 4 - this got very busy when I was there as all the passengers were at the back end of the train I arrived on, and then a HST arrived on platform 4 from the west.

Plenty of GWR staff in and outside the station. In fear of another Finsbury Park, I think they have worked this one out. Haven't seen any bad press.

As for ongoing work, the new crossover at Hayes is installed, although it looks as though it is clamped, OHL was present and there were a few orange men in the vicinity. Major work was taking place on the down relief platforms at Hayes and Southall. There were orange men at the new stabling sidings at West Ealing, they may be preparing to install the OHL as that appears all that is missing from there, although they could have been sorting out whatever sinalling is required.

On the question of electrification, are the Royal Oak sidings at Paddington to be electrified?

TheKnightWho

Established Member
They certainly are calculated on a percentage of construction value basis, but unlikely to have been on this particular NR project.

Yes, but they won't ever be contracted to scale with unprojected additional costs. That would be insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.