• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Western Electrification Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

3973EXL

Established Member
Theale this morning.

DSC00936.JPG DSC00937.JPG
Down line wired from east of the station towards Wigmore Lane. Next structure east of this, towards Reading, is missing a portal at the moment.

DSC00939.JPG DSC00938.JPG DSC00934.JPG DSC00933.JPG DSC00932.JPG
SPS still to go up on a Loop Mast.

DSC00935.JPG Looking west from the Station Road bridge, down wired.

DSC00940.JPG DSC00941.JPG Wigmore Lane. SPS missing looking east. West towards existing wires.

Envoy

Established Member
Does anyone know why they appear to be putting up catenery on the 3 way junction just east of Newport station? (This is the junction with the Marches Line).

JN114

Established Member
Does anyone know why they appear to be putting up catenery on the 3 way junction just east of Newport station? (This is the junction with the Marches Line).

Just for overrun purposes.

jimm

Established Member
Perhaps, but they are doing a bit more work than than what would be required as over-run normally if I sam remembering correctly that someone posted a long time ago that the piling for steelwork covered all of the east and west sides of the triangle and a short distance north of the top junction. That would give the ability to turn a train if one cab develops a fault with its TPWS kit, for example.

HowardGWR

Established Member
Side note: I'm going off-radar for 2 weeks while I finish my finals, so expect a bumper progress update on the 30th.
Well good luck! I must confess some concern was experienced thinking about how your revision was going with all this 'reportage'!

Envoy

Established Member
Perhaps, but they are doing a bit more work than than what would be required as over-run normally if I sam remembering correctly that someone posted a long time ago that the piling for steelwork covered all of the east and west sides of the triangle and a short distance north of the top junction. That would give the ability to turn a train if one cab develops a fault with its TPWS kit, for example.
That’s what I thought.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Maybe WG are going to announce electrification to Holyhead, with hourly Pendolinos. I’ll get my hat

No, it would have to be bi-modes. Can you imagine WG paying to electrify an inch of track in England, however much it benefited Cardiff-Holyhead services? :lol:

3973EXL

Established Member
Didcot/Swindon

Still to wire;
West end of the Down Loop Milton/Steventon.
East of Bourton crossovers on the Down.

Swindon
Down Main wired, SPS/registration arm missing west of the station.DSC00945.JPG
Gap in the Up Main west of the station now has a catenary wire. DSC00944.JPG DSC00949.JPG
Down Platform Loop (P3) wired, but contact wire not attached to reg arms. DSC00943.JPG

Kemble Line & P2 catenary wire. DSC00946.JPG DSC00955.JPG

P1 wired. Still to wire connection at the east end to Swindon Reception. P1 via Cocklebury Rec to Swindon Rec wired.
DSC00952.JPG DSC00953.JPG

Mintona

Established Member
7th June live to Wootton Bassett according to the latest Weekly Operating Notice. Apologies if anyone has already posted that and I’ve missed it.

I did a return trip from London Paddington to Bridgend yesterday and I will give an update here but no where near as good as 59CosG95
Apart from a few tiding up bits around Swindon Station, i.e. from temporary to permanent fixings for the contact wire I recon all the wiring is done more or less up to just short of milepost 97, from here to Bristol Parkway there are very few masts missing and nearly all with SPS fitted.
There is also a few lengths of wiring around MP 106 and the return wire is installed in a few more places right up to Westerleigh Junction.
Bristol Parkway to the Severn Tunnel has about 75% of the masts installed, there is no much in the way of masts between the Welsh side of the Seven Tunnel and Newport Station, only about 20%. Again nothing much until you get to the western side of Ebbw Junction, from here to about Wentloodge Freightliner Depot there a very few missing masts and nearly all have SPS fitted, then a few more masts here a there up to Cardiff and three masts installed on Platform 0 at Cardiff Central.
How far west will the wires go you may ask? well on the western edge of Canton Depot there is a new substation, so this I guess this will be the limit.
Switch on to Bristol Parkway by the end of the year is a big Yes, but to Cardiff? no way, I recon it will be spring/summer next year.
I must say that the pointwork just west of Cardiff Station is a complete mess, they have done absolutely nothing to simplify it with the recently re-signalling at the end of 2016.

jimm

Established Member
In what way is it a mess?

Presumably some people who know about these things designed the track layout - and since it now allows for bi-directional working though all platforms in Cardiff Central station, it was hardly likely to be simpler than what was there before.

In what way is it a mess?

Presumably some people who know about these things designed the track layout - and since it now allows for bi-directional working though all platforms in Cardiff Central station, it was hardly likely to be simpler than what was there before.
The trackwork at western end of Cardiff Station is basically unchanged from what I can see from the recent re-signalling, the reason that they needed so many points and crossings is that is was not bi-directional, now it is, it needs a good simplification, I am sure most of them are not needed as the crossing of trains can now be done at the Eastern end of Cardiff. It is going to be a nightmare to wire up when they get around to it.

3973EXL

Established Member
Newbury Station today.

Old footbridge being stripped out.
At least 3 more masts to go up through the platforms.
DSC00957.JPG DSC00958.JPG DSC00959.JPG DSC00960.JPG DSC00961.JPG DSC00962.JPG
First SPS east of Newbury station.
DSC00963.JPG DSC00964.JPG
Boundary Road bridge views.
DSC00965.JPG DSC00966.JPG

3973EXL

Established Member
Newbury Racecourse.

Platforms, just catenary & contact wires missing.
DSC00970.JPG DSC00971.JPG DSC00972.JPG DSC00972.JPG DSC00974.JPG DSC00975.JPG DSC00976.JPG DSC00977.JPG DSC00978.JPG
From Racecourse bridge.
DSC00967.JPG DSC00969.JPG

Other than earth wires, there were no additions to the wiring at the Newbury end during last weeks block.

All the platform extension sections are in at Thatcham & Aldermaston. Finishing off just required, fencing, levels etc. No change with the extensions at Theale.

The wire run from east of Theale down platform is now continuous to just east of the Kennet Viaduct before Newbury Racecourse.
The up road is wired through Theale platform, but there is an unwired run from west of the station to west of Wigmore Lane.
Theale Loop is not wired yet, other than some earth wire.

SPS missing by the point work east of Theale and in a couple of other locations to MP38 1/2.
Also one mast on the up side to go up, east of the M4 bridge.

3973EXL

Established Member
Reading West Station.

Three piles for the OHL masts gone in on the up side.
DSC00979.JPG DSC00981.JPG DSC00989.JPG
Pile locations marked on the down side.
DSC00985.JPG DSC00986.JPG
Murphy's piles, up side.
DSC00980.JPG DSC00983.JPG
Down side.
DSC00984.JPG DSC00987.JPG DSC00988.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.