• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia are recruiting Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jthorne82

Well got through the structured interview which I thought I had messed up. Won't have my managers interview till January I was told. Yeah I was there on Thursday my interview was 2.30

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

playmore64

Whoa congratz mate....fancy the chances of the 'I think I messed up the interview' next minute to be told you've passed!

Nice one fella good luck with the final interview :)

Emilymay86

Well got through the structured interview which I thought I had messed up. Won't have my managers interview till January I was told. Yeah I was there on Thursday my interview was 2.30

Well done!! What depot are you applying for?

david_VI

I've got a date for my structured interview now, which I can't do so will attempt to change it.

Pretty scared to be honest. After so long in this process it feels too important!

Edit: Just noticed my letter has no phone number so i'm not sure how to contact them to get a different date. Could anyone offer some help here? I'm sure I had a number for HR at GA before!
If anyone would be so kind to message me the number for Clare/HR at GA I'd be very grateful. I've no idea why they haven't put it on the letter :(

Last edited:

Emilymay86

Wahoo! Husband finally has his Structured Interview date on 27th Nov!! Its amazing how horrible it is for you guys to be waiting so long inbetween each stage!!

Finder

I would really appreciate a bit of help from someone. I've got my structured interview in a weeks time, has anybody got some examples of questions that are likely to asked?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Wondered if you had any examples of questions regarding the structured interview

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
It's been quite some time since I had mine, and I am sure there are people who are better qualified to answer because they conduct interviews or have had one more recently, but I think the big question is still to give an example of how you reacted in a crisis/emergency. I'm not sure I am exaggerating when I say the job offer hinges on how you answer that. If you have never been in a crisis or emergency then now is the time to think of a good story.

Other stuff? I vaguely recall questions about being able to work alone, to not get bored, how you can handle shift work (early starts, late finishes, anti social hours) and can you handle repetitive tasks. Tell them you enjoy a good jigsaw or something. I'd hope if you have got this far then the rest is a formality, but good luck anyway!

Dave1987

On Moderation
Hi Finder

For your structured interview you will be given a booklet with questions like "when have you had to deal with an emergency situation?". It is a competency based interview to prove you have the life experience to be a train driver. Another question i had was "when have you worked on your own for long periods of time?". Before you go think up some good examples because you will get asked further questions on your examples, and they will tell whether you are fibbing. I found it the most challenging interview of my entire life. But if you have some good examples you should be fine. Good luck!!

Regards

David

Driver for GA

Last edited:

Finder

Never been in an emergency so gonna have to think hard about that one, how many questions do they ask and how long does it go on for
Never been in an emergency so gonna have to think hard about that one, how many questions do they ask and how long does it go on for

Dave1987

On Moderation
Hi finder

From what I remember there are about 7-10 questions

Another one is "give an example of when you have been on a training course that was longer than 2 weeks."

Another is "give an example when you have had to follow a set of rules before."

You are asked to write your answers in a pre printed booklet that contains the questions then the interviewer has that booklet while asking you to elaborate on your examples.

Hope that helps (it may have changed since I did it though!)

Regards

David

frontosa

I've got my assessment with GA on wed 21st. Could someone please confirm if there will be an interview on that day if you complete the assessment successfully? The letter from HR states a structured interview will take place on a separate day but at the back of the practice material it suggests to prepare for an interview. Are there two interviews?

Thanks

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
I've got my assessment with GA on wed 21st. Could someone please confirm if there will be an interview on that day if you complete the assessment successfully? The letter from HR states a structured interview will take place on a separate day but at the back of the practice material it suggests to prepare for an interview. Are there two interviews?

Thanks

Hi Frontosa,

You'll complete your assessments only on Wednesday 21st. These consist of mechanical comprehension, concentration, reactions etc.
If successful, you'll then have a structured interview on a different date.
Following that, there is another interview, known as the manager's interview. Finally there's a medical to pass before you're offered a job.

Mix107

Don't forget GA don't do the mechanical comprehension test anymore. It's the fault finding instead regarding a new type of train, similar to the practice materials you get through the post.

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
Don't forget GA don't do the mechanical comprehension test anymore. It's the fault finding instead regarding a new type of train, similar to the practice materials you get through the post.

Oh yeah! You'd think I'd just been through the process :roll:

frontosa

Hi Frontosa,

You'll complete your assessments only on Wednesday 21st. These consist of mechanical comprehension, concentration, reactions etc.
If successful, you'll then have a structured interview on a different date.
Following that, there is another interview, known as the manager's interview. Finally there's a medical to pass before you're offered a job.

Thought so, thanks for clearing that up!
Good luck with your assesment! I have mine with GA on Fri 23rd - they must have a lot of people to get through! Which role/depot are you applying for?

Its a Driver position based at southend. Trying to get myself as prepared as possible. Good Luck!

Mix107

Had my SI at 12:30 today. Head still hurts!

You weren't the young guy sitting there around lunchtime were you? Noticed a few having their SI yday as 9 of us started the train driver course. Plenty of anxious faces and then saw another guy come out looking totally exhausted blowing his cheeks. It is definitely like going 9 rounds with Mike Tyson lol

Beveridges

Established Member
Imagine having your Structured Interview on the same day as the other 5 pyschometric tests thats how I had it that was one very hard day. Or should I say 3 hard days because I have done it 3 times. Though the Structured Interview really is as hard and as long as the other 5 tests put together, and the worst stage of the psychometric tests. Out of all the criteria that has to be ticked off to achieve a psychometric pass, the Structured Interview alone contains half of it.

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
You weren't the young guy sitting there around lunchtime were you? Noticed a few having their SI yday as 9 of us started the train driver course. Plenty of anxious faces and then saw another guy come out looking totally exhausted blowing his cheeks. It is definitely like going 9 rounds with Mike Tyson lol

Yes I was. Were you the in the bunch destroying the sandwiches?

This is going to be a long week...

Dave1987

On Moderation
Ah those days at th academy with those sandwiches lol! Who have you got as you instructor? Wiz and Colin are both excellent instructors.

Mix107

Yes I was. Were you the in the bunch destroying the sandwiches?

This is going to be a long week...

Yes we were. Nice spread. Best of luck, hope you don't have to wait too long. I got a phone call the next day with the good news. Which vacancy/depot have you applied for?

Ah those days at th academy with those sandwiches lol! Who have you got as you instructor? Wiz and Colin are both excellent instructors.

I believe it'll be Glen and Neil if you know them.

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
Yes we were. Nice spread. Best of luck, hope you don't have to wait too long. I got a phone call the next day with the good news. Which vacancy/depot have you applied for?

The vacancies were for all of the West Anglia depots. I've specified Cambridge as my preference, but will happily go to Stortford.

Status
Not open for further replies.