• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia are recruiting Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverash-007

Hi guys

A long shot but does anybody know if the Mechanican Comprehesion test is still part of the tests at the assesement centre as I'm going Stratford in the morning!

A friend said they may have changed it for the fault finding test, does anyone know if this is correct?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mix107

That is correct. No mechanical test, fault finding instead. I did the tests for GA in May and passed. Good luck!

MR_P

Hi guys

A long shot but does anybody know if the Mechanican Comprehesion test is still part of the tests at the assesement centre as I'm going Stratford in the morning!

A friend said they may have changed it for the fault finding test, does anyone know if this is correct?

Good luck is that for depot driver ?

ghost

I can confirm no mechanical test, but the Dfft instead. There is a telephone test (really easy) You call this number and listen to a pre-recorded message, then you repeat what you just heard. 10 minute long and several phrases to repeat back, some are muddled up so you have to repeat them back to make sense. It is to measure if you can communicate and repeat back information correctly.

What depot have you applied for and when is the next course likely to start?

Good luck

Paul.S

So who has used the new reaction test machine? are you allowed to comment on what its like? Whos had structured interviews? I have my reactions test on the 5th September....

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
So who has used the new reaction test machine? are you allowed to comment on what its like? Whos had structured interviews? I have my reactions test on the 5th September....

Paul, I have used the new machine and passed. It was very difficult. No date on structured interviews yet.

david_VI

Paul, I have used the new machine and passed. It was very difficult. No date on structured interviews yet.

Very difficult? Aw man I was feeling confident! Surely for guys like us, young, used to gaming, a reaction test isn't too hard?

I've been feeling rather confident about this part as I assumed it may be easier if you're the kinda person who plays computer games, or an instrument. I like to think my reactions are pretty good, but under pressure like that i'm not sure.

Paul.S

hi guys i have my reaction test tomorrow (5th) mid morning, coming up from Norwich. Fingers crossed all will go well. Anyone had structured interview news yet?

david_VI

hi guys i have my reaction test tomorrow (5th) mid morning, coming up from Norwich. Fingers crossed all will go well. Anyone had structured interview news yet?

Someone may correct me but I believe around October for interviews. But then nothing proper will happen afterwards until March when courses start again.

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
So Chris, did you travel all that distance again, for just 20minutes on a machine? I was pretty much in and out but I only have to travel for just over an hour each way!

Yes, yes I did, paying over £50 for the honour of doing so. There's dedication for you! :P it'll all be worth it if I get a job out of it though!

To be fair, they were very apologetic about the extra trip and were more than accomodating changing my appointments, so I can't really complain.

Paul.S

Well that was an interesting day! Boarded the 0830 out of Norwich for my reaction test at 1045 to be told the 0800 had struck a person! So hopped onto cambridge train then headed to stanstead airport, to Harlow then into Stratford. Rolled up about an hour late but had the presence of mind to contact the academy and everything was ok :)

Passed the test and as I'm applying for Norwich (course starts November) I could have interview as early as next week!!

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
Well that was an interesting day! Boarded the 0830 out of Norwich for my reaction test at 1045 to be told the 0800 had struck a person! So hopped onto cambridge train then headed to stanstead airport, to Harlow then into Stratford. Rolled up about an hour late but had the presence of mind to contact the academy and everything was ok :)

Passed the test and as I'm applying for Norwich (course starts November) I could have interview as early as next week!!

Congratulations :) yet more proof of GA being very accomodating (Northern Rail take note!)

Be sure to let us know how the interview goes.

Mix107

So are there any new starters out there yet? Anyone going Ilford?

I passed all tests/interviews in June following the April vacancies. I passed the reaction test before it broke! Subject to my medical this month, I start on a November course for Chingford.

Paul.S

Well done! So what's the secret to getting through the next stage... The good old structured interview...???

Mix107

Well done! So what's the secret to getting through the next stage... The good old structured interview...???

Hi Paul

No secret really. Just make sure your prepped for the structured interview with all your possible examples to hand for the written part before your get questioned on them. The types of questions are widely mentioned on the forum as i'm sure you've seen.

Questioning is probing and relentless, but the interviewer may ask for a better example if they not satisfied. So be
prepared for other examples in your head. They are there to give you the best opportunity.

Good luck!

Regards

jthorne82

past my reaction test back on august 16th was supposed to have structured interview on august 28th but could not make it. Has any one got a date for a stucture interview or has had to cancel one and heard back.

Paul.S

ive got my structured interview on tuesday afternoon. im going for norwich depot so they need applicants processed for the course which starts in november

Emilymay86

That is correct. No mechanical test, fault finding instead. I did the tests for GA in May and passed. Good luck!

My husband is going for his assessment on Wednesday and I just now see that they have replaced mechanical comprehension with Fault Finding....

Is there anyone else out there who can confirm this?? Could it be they choose one or the other or are we sure it is definitely Fault finding with no mechanics??

Why do they continue to send out the mechanical practice tests if they are not doing it??

Thanks any help appreciated
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hi Paul

No secret really. Just make sure your prepped for the structured interview with all your possible examples to hand for the written part before your get questioned on them. The types of questions are widely mentioned on the forum as i'm sure you've seen.

Questioning is probing and relentless, but the interviewer may ask for a better example if they not satisfied. So be
prepared for other examples in your head. They are there to give you the best opportunity.

Good luck!

Regards

Hi, someone mentioned they ask you to complete the paperwork for the structured interview at the end of the assessment day, then they will pull them out on the date of the interview...is this true? As my husband has assessment day on wednesday which they already say in the letter will not include the interview so we haven't prepared for it....but if they ask for the examples on wednesday we'd better get thinking for good examples??

Is this true or will they not ask until the interview day itself?

Last edited:

Mix107

You are referring to both my replies on the forum.

Yes as sure as I can be, no mechanical test. Just fault finding, the HR lady clearly started at near the beginning of the tests that this had been replaced by the more reliable 'Fault finding test'. Although for some reason certain TOC's still do it, but not GA.

Re: Structured Interview. Both parts will be done on a separate day in small groups (3 inc. me on mine), as there is so much to fit in with the other psychometric tests on the first day. Occasionally it may be different depending on numbers being tested, but the letter states it will be done on a different day and it will.

Regards
Meant to add, reason they still send you the practice mechanical tests is to keep you on your toes I suppose. Gives you some basics behind mechanical processes which won't hurt, when you come to the traction training.

Regards

badassunicorn

Got the interview with the depot manager on Thursday at Shenfield station! Bricking it to say the least!
=)
x

Emilymay86

You are referring to both my replies on the forum.

Yes as sure as I can be, no mechanical test. Just fault finding, the HR lady clearly started at near the beginning of the tests that this had been replaced by the more reliable 'Fault finding test'. Although for some reason certain TOC's still do it, but not GA.

Re: Structured Interview. Both parts will be done on a separate day in small groups (3 inc. me on mine), as there is so much to fit in with the other psychometric tests on the first day. Occasionally it may be different depending on numbers being tested, but the letter states it will be done on a different day and it will.

Regards
Meant to add, reason they still send you the practice mechanical tests is to keep you on your toes I suppose. Gives you some basics behind mechanical processes which won't hurt, when you come to the traction training.

Regards

Thanks so much for confirming :) Very helpful!
Is there anyone else going for the Ipswich Depot?? Noone seems to mention it...

robby p

Unless things have changed Ipswich doesn't have a depot driver link and anglia depots only take trainees on as depot drivers.

Emilymay86

Unless things have changed Ipswich doesn't have a depot driver link and anglia depots only take trainees on as depot drivers.

How strange, my hubby definitely applied to an Ipswich position as a Depot Driver....maybe he'll be lucky and they'll throw him straight in as a Trainee Mainline driver instead ;)

I guess we'll see as he goes through the process :D

robby p

Well like I said as far as I knew, if they advertised a vacancy then more than likely it now does exist, maybe they're introducing it to coincide with the december timetable change with the hourly lowestoft service.

Status
Not open for further replies.