• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater anglia depot drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Blanka

I was successful at my DMI recently (having passed assessments with another TOC) and have been given a start date in march 2018 (medical pending). from what I know they were looking for january and March start dates.

From what it looks like, I think all those who have been succesful at the online assessment stage will go to complete their psychometric assessments for March start dates.

Have you been given an exact start date in March or is it a matter of them letting you know the exact day closer to the time?

Shunter_69

Sunday’s are rostered and paid at overtime. You can make yourself unavailable if you don’t want to do it and the roster clerk will try and cover your job. If they can’t you have to do it. As it’s not part of the working week you can’t book annual leave so you generally only find out on the Thursday if you are off or not.

The worst part of the job for me was other people moaning about having to actually do some work!

Shifts can be a pain, especially on short turnarounds from nights to earlies.

If you end up at Ilford, no two days are the same which makes it enjoyable. Lots of variety there and you never stop learning.

Currently no guaranteed progression but several Depot drivers are currently doing Mainline courses so it’ll be there if you want it and are prepared to work hard.

Good luck to all of you.

Blanka

Sunday’s are rostered and paid at overtime. You can make yourself unavailable if you don’t want to do it and the roster clerk will try and cover your job. If they can’t you have to do it. As it’s not part of the working week you can’t book annual leave so you generally only find out on the Thursday if you are off or not.

The worst part of the job for me was other people moaning about having to actually do some work!

Shifts can be a pain, especially on short turnarounds from nights to earlies.

If you end up at Ilford, no two days are the same which makes it enjoyable. Lots of variety there and you never stop learning.

Currently no guaranteed progression but several Depot drivers are currently doing Mainline courses so it’ll be there if you want it and are prepared to work hard.

Good luck to all of you.

Thanks for the insight! Have applied for Ilford and will see where it takes me.

Brian88

I applied for bishops. March seems like a quick turn around. I'm not sure if I can give my current job so short notice if the interview is in Feb. Maybe I can do the tests anyway though and be kept on file for future vacancies

gbi17

I applied for bishops. March seems like a quick turn around. I'm not sure if I can give my current job so short notice if the interview is in Feb. Maybe I can do the tests anyway though and be kept on file for future vacancies

Hi Brian, bishops maybe a different start date, March may just be for me as I couldnt start earlier & was placed on the next available course...better to get the psych testing out of the way!

Shunter_69

Bishops Stortford doesn’t have Depot drivers so if you manage to get in there it would actually be as a Mainline trainee.

You may find they offer you Colchester or Ilford instead.

Bulldog

Thanks for the heads up and the useful comments everyone, going to practice some dot tests I think!

Teddyward

I applied for yard control at ilford. Waiting for results of online test although I guess that sort of thing is likely to go to an internal candidate.

ZNB12

I applied for yard control at ilford. Waiting for results of online test although I guess that sort of thing is likely to go to an internal candidate.
You have a chance like any other person. No one really put in for it internal, I was talking to one of the Yard Controllers the other day. AKA yard controller Manager.

RobInNorfolk

I have completed the online assessment and have also passed. What’s next?

I have applied as my nearest depots as Norwich, Ipswich and Colchester.

Will66

I have completed the online assessment and have also passed. What’s next?

I have applied as my nearest depots as Norwich, Ipswich and Colchester.

Nice work, I'm in the same boat, I got an email saying they'd be in touch in the New Year about the next stage of the selection process. I used the chat function on the Greater Anglia Vacancies website to get in touch with their HR dept and got an almost instant response.

Will66

Anyone heard anything more? I may well try to get in contact next week.

Shunter_69

Two things to remember, recruitment is never quick in the rail industry and it’s only the third working day of the year.

I know how frustrating the waiting can be from my own experience but you really need to have some patience chaps.

Teddyward

My wife works with a woman who’s son applied for this. He got the job and took up post 2nd jan. she said they wanted him to go ilford but I think he went to one of the other depots. He said he was meant to be starting with 2 internals but they both changed their minds. That being said I can’t be sure if he actually applied this round or a previous time.

Shunter_69

At least one guard has been held back from that course (not through his own choice and some are suggesting it’s related to the guard dispute but that may just be a coincidence) which may explain the changing of minds.

Will66

Two things to remember, recruitment is never quick in the rail industry and it’s only the third working day of the year.

I know how frustrating the waiting can be from my own experience but you really need to have some patience chaps.

Thanks for the info, I did suspect that and it's not a problem (I am in my current role as a maths teacher until August and I will not struggle to find work in that area) but curiosity and a desire to get things going compelled me to ask! Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear!

SPADTrap

Established Member
Hi there, soon to be starting as a trainee driver at crown point, any info on hours and duties you could give me would be great, thanks

Good luck at Crown Point, a good depot. I've left GA but was west side so not sure on the east exactly.

TheEdge

Established Member
hi TheEdge, can you shed any light on the depot drivers shift patterns, start and finish times at crown point? Many thanks

Shifts are 0600-1400, 1400-2200, 2200-0600 (x2), 2300-0700, plus spare shifts. 13 week roster, 35 hour week, works out at about 4 - 5 day week. Every other week is nights, if I remember correctly there is two weeks of nights in there as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.