• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater anglia depot drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angrydrunk

Hi, first time for me so please be gentle!! I have applied for this position and was wondering if anyone has had a reply yet?
And secondly I'm a volunteer crew member for the RNLI and I'm guessing that they will not appreciate me rocking up late because I have been on a shout?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mowgli

Hi, first time for me so please be gentle!! I have applied for this position and was wondering if anyone has had a reply yet?
And secondly I'm a volunteer crew member for the RNLI and I'm guessing that they will not appreciate me rocking up late because I have been on a shout?
I would imagine that if you turn up late for the assessments you will not be allowed to sit them. The good news is that your work with the RNLI should give you some great examples if you progress to the MMI.

Will66

Hi, first post for me!

I've applied for this role. After submitting my application I got an almost immediate invite to do the online tests which I have completed. I am yet to hear anything back yet but I am hopeful!

My background is as an Officer of the Watch in the Navy although I am currently a Maths teacher (random I know) but I am looking for something that has less of the nugatory hassles of teaching and the opportunity seemed too good to pass up.

I was just posting to see if anyone had heard back? Also to wish anyone else who has applied best of luck!

rhys37429

i didnt pass the online test, good luck to everyone else who managed to pass them.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Sorry to hear it too mate.
At least they're sending out the replies and not keeping us hanging on...

Will66

Still waiting! According to their site my application is still under consideration.

gbi17

Hi, just a quick question for those who may know about this. Does anyone know how many days the working week is as a GA depot driver?

Will66

According to the ASLEF site they work 6-10 hour shifts which would mean a 4 day working week on 10 hour shifts.

ZNB12

Hi, just a quick question for those who may know about this. Does anyone know how many days the working week is as a GA depot driver?

Hi
The Depot Drivers work a 5 Day week with Sundays outside for now. This is only at Clacton, Colchester, Southend and Ilford. Don't know what Crown point work.
Roster is average of 35hrs week with 8 weeks on 2 weeks off A/L built into the two weeks off. However this may change in the future with harmonisation between GE, Anglia and WA. It looks like the 4 day week may come into force. The shifts average of 8hrs.
Hope this helps.

gbi17

Hi
The Depot Drivers work a 5 Day week with Sundays outside for now. This is only at Clacton, Colchester, Southend and Ilford. Don't know what Crown point work.
Roster is average of 35hrs week with 8 weeks on 2 weeks off A/L built into the two weeks off. However this may change in the future with harmonisation between GE, Anglia and WA. It looks like the 4 day week may come into force. The shifts average of 8hrs.
Hope this helps.

awesome thanks for this!

TheEdge

Established Member
Crown Point depot turns are set at 8 hours, honestly I'm not sure exactly what the working week is, but I think in theory its 35 hours and 5 days. Crown Point is an Anglia depot so doesn't have the odd annual leave system, its just a rota and falls when it falls.

Will66

Just got hold of Greater Anglia's HR dept on their careers chat. Apparently I should hear in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully that means next stage!

Saracen_83

Just had email to say I passed online assessments and they will be in touch in 2018 for train driver assessments

martin2345uk

Established Member
I just got this email from them:

Dear Martin

Thank you for applying for the role of Trainee Depot Driver.

Just to let you know that you have passed the online assessment and we will be in touch early 2018 to organise train driver assessments.

Kind regards

Recruitment Team

Will66

I just got that too. Was it from someone called Sally? Because that was the name that came up on the chat!

MrPIC

hey guys, I used to work as a DD with GA, I'll answer any questions you might have within reason!

Bulldog

This is my first post as I found out about the Trainee Depot Driver job through this website (THANK YOU!!) Just got notified that I passed the online assessments, very happy at that!

MrPIC - there is a lot of messages on here about working hours, what is a "typical" working pattern also any advice on where you can get practice assessments for the assessment day ?

Brian88

Passed too. Anybody know how many slots they are recruiting for? Or is it a talent pool.

gbi17

Passed too. Anybody know how many slots they are recruiting for? Or is it a talent pool.

I was successful at my DMI recently (having passed assessments with another TOC) and have been given a start date in march 2018 (medical pending). from what I know they were looking for january and March start dates.

From what it looks like, I think all those who have been succesful at the online assessment stage will go to complete their psychometric assessments for March start dates.

Bulldog

gbi17 - congrats, what was the assessments like and where did you find practice questions/assessments?

Brian88 - congrats where did you apply for?

gbi17

gbi17 - congrats, what was the assessments like and where did you find practice questions/assessments?

Brian88 - congrats where did you apply for?
hi Bulldog, i did the assessments with another TOC which require enhanced scores similar to Greater Anglia, so all I had to do was the Managers Interview.

There is a lot of information on this forum that will help you for the assessments, I used this forum along with the practice material provided by the TOC and passed it all!

I would say best thing to do now is to get practising the Great Bourdon Test as the tool is available on this forum. The practice material will be sent to you in good time before your assessment day!

MrPIC

Hi, no idea about practice stuff for the asessments, as it was different when I did it. Typical day involves shunting units around the yard, preparing trains for service, laying the points for arrivals and departures, and other general railway yard stuff!

Blanka

Also received the email saying I passed the first part.
Anybody able to explain the "Sunday outside working hours" aspect? I work for a TOC currently but Sunday is included in the working week, so I'm a little curious as to how this works? Is one rostered to work Sundays and paid at overtime rates or???

Blanka

Hi, no idea about practice stuff for the asessments, as it was different when I did it. Typical day involves shunting units around the yard, preparing trains for service, laying the points for arrivals and departures, and other general railway yard stuff!

What would you say are the best and worst parts of the role?

Status
Not open for further replies.