• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Rolling Stock Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shunter_69

I’m sure a solution will be found at some point but probably bigger issues to deal with at present.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Have heard on the grape vine today might be the last day for the 90’s as next week GA are running a 2 hourly service and there is enough 745’s in service to cover the diagrams.

Yes, I believe so. I heard on another forum that they were all stood down from today, but one will remain as cover until the end of the month.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
It's hard to say - there will be far reduced demand for at least the next 6 months, but the general situation at the moment is likely to see PRM deadlines not enforced, yet on the other hand, a reduction (or total halt) to the commissioning, training and testing process. Between now and when people literally aren't allowed out of their homes, if that ever happens, is an opportunity to play catchup to reduce how far these units are behind the schedule they need to be on in order to replace the legacy stock. The question is how far can they catch up before things return to normal. It's not at all obvious at the moment.
Not sure how you can train drivers and keep to social distancing even in the generous Aventra cabs best you can do is mileage accumulation and keep the Bombardier fitter in a different coach

dk1

Veteran Member
Not sure how you can train drivers and keep to social distancing even in the generous Aventra cabs best you can do is mileage accumulation and keep the Bombardier fitter in a different coach
Same in the Stadlers. As DIs we end up sitting on the trainee drivers shoulder.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Did any 90s and Mk3 run today or are they all over now as per suggestions above? Any likely to be out this week does anyone think?

Established Member
Did any 90s and Mk3 run today or are they all over now as per suggestions above? Any likely to be out this week does anyone think?

The 09.00 and 14.00 Norwich to Liverpool St were both class 90, which is the same diagram. Didn’t see which horse was on the front though.

A report from the front line 23 March 2020.

I have taken the following rides today:
Liverpool Street 6:02 – 6:37 Chelmsford
Observed operations at Chelmsford 6:37 – 7:40 (apart from a 15-minute break in which I went to Tesco's)
Chelmsford 7:40 – 8:13 Liverpool Street
Observing a line from a train going in the opposite direction is twice as fast as static observation, so I have effectively observed arrivals into & departures from London from 6:02 to 8:13.
The first thing to note is that the timetable being operated was completely different to that in my pocket & on Google Maps. On the Covid-19 timetable, most trains have been shifted by 5 minutes.
I saw one Class 90, number 8 (90008 The East Anglian). I saw it at Liverpool Street in platform [9], whence it operated the 6:30 to Norwich, calling at Chelmsford at 7:12. I did not see any other locomotive-hauled passenger train. I found no evidence disproving the hypothesis that this may now be the last one in service, but I only observed 2 hours of a 5-hour cycle
I saw one Class 745, which I believe to be number 3. It operated the 6:54 from Chelmsford. I then saw it again sitting in [9] at Liverpool Street. The screens displayed a remark asking passengers to close the doors (which cannot actually be done on a Flirt), & it had an excessively long dwell time, so I reckon this train was originally timed to be a Class 90, but they had a surplus of newer trains. I did not see any other Flirt.
The vast majority of trains were unmodernised Class 321s, some of which were coupled to a modernised Class 321.

I saw 90008 today (twice). It operated the 06:30 Down.
The 09.00 and 14.00 Norwich to Liverpool St were both class 90, which is the same diagram. Didn’t see which horse was on the front though.
The 09:00 would probably have been No. 8.

Told last one is on Monday.
BUGGER! I was at Chelmsford just today. I gave up at 7:40, in the hope that I would be able to catch the morning light tomorrow. I should have waited 2 hours 42 minutes more.
The 321 that I ended up getting back was surprisingly busy (as in some people were standing due to not many seats left).

Railperf

Established Member
90008 is on the 19.00 Norwich to Liverpool Street and looks set to return on the 21.30 Liverpool Street to Norwich

dk1

Veteran Member
Looks like a 90/DVT are out today. Diagram starting with 1P13 07:00 up.

Confirmed as a clean looking 90001.

Last edited:

Railperf

Established Member
Looks like a 90/DVT are out today. Diagram starting with 1P13 07:00 up.

Confirmed as a clean looking 90001.
I'm guessing the faulty 745 from last night did not make it into service today. Though reports that another 2 745's have been accepted including a Stanex unit.

dk1

Veteran Member
I'm guessing the faulty 745 from last night did not make it into service today. Though reports that another 2 745's have been accepted including a Stanex unit.
I can only think it's because of that & maybe because they are still leasing them until the end of the month. Nice to see it's had a bit of a scrub up. Interesting to see how long it takes for the 745/1 to operate on the GEML.

Railperf

Established Member
I can only think it's because of that & maybe because they are still leasing them until the end of the month. Nice to see it's had a bit of a scrub up. Interesting to see how long it takes for the 745/1 to operate on the GEML.
More interesting to see how soon the 745/1 takes to find its way onto West Anglia.

Bikeman78

Established Member
More interesting to see how soon the 745/1 takes to find its way onto West Anglia.
Have any drivers at Bishops Stortford or Liverpool St (West Anglia) been trained on them yet? I guess Cambridge are okay because they know 755s but they have less Stansted Express work than the other two.

Class 170101

Established Member
Its been suggested that a Class 90 set may be in Orient Way tonight overnight if you are really desperate for one tonight / tomorrow.

Railperf

Established Member
It makes sense to clear the decks and create space at Norwich for the remaining 745/755's

Railperf

Established Member
Second day on the trot.
Why has it gone to Norwich second day in a row..when these will primarily be used on commuter services on West Anglia and Great Eastern? How is driver training gearing up?

Status
Not open for further replies.