• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Rolling Stock Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheEdge

Established Member
Why has it gone to Norwich second day in a row..when these will primarily be used on commuter services on West Anglia and Great Eastern? How is driver training gearing up?

Because it sounds like they are regularly going to be coming to Norwich, to the extent that Victoria sidings has certain features specifically for the 720s. And London to Norwich is the longest available run on GA so probably best for test runs...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Why has it gone to Norwich second day in a row..when these will primarily be used on commuter services on West Anglia and Great Eastern? How is driver training gearing up?

Mileage accumulation, presumably. Easiest way to do it in Anglia.

dk1

Veteran Member
Not having anything to do with this one. I would doubt any driver training (apart from instructors) has started yet & all in-cab training has been suspended due to Covid-19. Based at Ilford so just accumulation or proving runs I would think.

LAX54

Established Member

I assume, as the third train to Norwich (when it happens) will the the Ipswich extended, which again I assume will be 720s ? also 321s do not, until recently have work to do at Norwich, but did not stop them going there.
The 720's at Norwich will also be gaining route clearance :) (They are currently barred from P4 at Ipswich)

Astro_Orbiter

Because it sounds like they are regularly going to be coming to Norwich, to the extent that Victoria sidings has certain features specifically for the 720s. And London to Norwich is the longest available run on GA so probably best for test runs...
London to Kings Lynn? Sorry just being a pedant lol that wouldn't be a practical place to take them at this stage.

RailWonderer

Established Member
London to Kings Lynn? Sorry just being a pedant lol that wouldn't be a practical place to take them at this stage.
They will be doing Kings Lynn services although I think they are totally inappropriate for the route, and inferior to 379s. They have 3+2 seating and far too many airline seats and not enough facing seats.

Does anyone know if it was a DfT directive they had to have 108-110 seats per coach?

Bringback309s

I'm pretty sure the 720's will work one service per hour to Norwich (as mentioned above, the Ipswich service extended) with the other two being 745's. Me, I would run a pair of 755's and have a split at Ipswich sending one two hourly to Cambridge and one to Lowestoft, but I guess that would be asking for trouble with delays on reverse incoming services heading to London

dk1

Veteran Member
I'm pretty sure the 720's will work one service per hour to Norwich (as mentioned above, the Ipswich service extended) with the other two being 745's. Me, I would run a pair of 755's and have a split at Ipswich sending one two hourly to Cambridge and one to Lowestoft, but I guess that would be asking for trouble with delays on reverse incoming services heading to London
Yes that does sound an operating & performance nightmare. There are plans to stable at least two 720 rakes at Norwich Victoria each night & these will form the morning (SX) Stowmarket starters.

Railperf

Established Member
I read the 720s were to be used first on Southend Victoria services - surely they would test extensively on that route plus anywhere else that would be on a typical days diagram. Not sure the 321's just shut to Southend all day. Surely they serve Witham Colchester etc and Southend on days diagram?

samuelmorris

Established Member
I read the 720s were to be used first on Southend Victoria services - surely they would test extensively on that route plus anywhere else that would be on a typical days diagram. Not sure the 321's just shut to Southend all day. Surely they serve Witham Colchester etc and Southend on days diagram?
As far as I know Southend and Braintree are worked by the same diagrams, but not any other destinations. This is why disruption on the Southend branch leads to cancellations of the 1tph service to Braintree and some confused and angry passengers!

AC47461

I wonder whether they are just taking an initial run out to every route for clearance testing etc whilst it's easy and quiet? In one sense the Southend Vic line doesn't really need it as the 345s have already been down on test many times (and the carriages are the same length aren't they?), so once or twice may be enough for now. I'm just wondering out loud though, many more have far more knowledge than me....

hwl

Established Member
I wonder whether they are just taking an initial run out to every route for clearance testing etc whilst it's easy and quiet? In one sense the Southend Vic line doesn't really need it as the 345s have already been down on test many times (and the carriages are the same length aren't they?), so once or twice may be enough for now. I'm just wondering out loud though, many more have far more knowledge than me....
Length - no they aren't

345s are 23.62m for driving vehicles and 22.50m from intermediate vehicles

720s are 24.54m for driving vehicles and 24.22m from intermediate vehicles

720s are also very slightly narrower to deal with being longer

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

As said above, it’s mileage accumulation, and on part of the network where it can reach top speed and causes little damage to the service if it breaks down.

hwl

Established Member
As said above, it’s mileage accumulation, and on part of the network where it can reach top speed and causes little damage to the service if it breaks down.
Exactly and even less damage at the moment so time to get them out accumulating...

LAX54

Established Member
Plus the G.E Outer had their fair share of grief / hassle with the 755/745 testing, so share it out ! :)

LAX54

Established Member
Yes that does sound an operating & performance nightmare. There are plans to stable at least two 720 rakes at Norwich Victoria each night & these will form the morning (SX) Stowmarket starters.

Might as well make them Norwich Starters ! currently not allowed to 'reverse' at 550 ! (745/755/720)

dk1

Veteran Member
Might as well make them Norwich Starters ! currently not allowed to 'reverse' at 550 ! (745/755/720)
I'm sure they mentioned that that is the plan although I'm sure they would need a guard allocated from Norwich-Stowmarket.

Established Member
I'm sure they mentioned that that is the plan although I'm sure they would need a guard allocated from Norwich-Stowmarket.

The current Stowmarket starters have a guard from Stowmarket to Colchester for the 12 car train and Stowmarket to Ipswich for the 8 car train for operational reasons. So perhaps if those two trains start from Norwich they would both need a guard from Norwich to Ipswich in future.

dk1

Veteran Member
The current Stowmarket starters have a guard from Stowmarket to Colchester for the 12 car train and Stowmarket to Ipswich for the 8 car train for operational reasons. So perhaps if those two trains start from Norwich they would both need a guard from Norwich to Ipswich in future.
Yes that sounds abought right. Even if the third hourly service ever materialises (& I have my doubts) it will require the same full staffing North of Ipswich too.

RailWonderer

Established Member
That 12 car is almost always an 8 car whenever I see it pass or look on journeycheck, around 70% of the time. Does that mean the guard just gets off at Ipswich instead of staying on to Colchester in that case?

Established Member
If there is a 360 missing the Stowmarket starter is usually the first choice to short form. As for the guard, depends on what their next working is. No point getting off at Ipswich if their next working is from Colchester.

Shunter_69

I think it’s been short formed all the time recently as it’s due into platform 14 at LST which currently has a track fault and can only take 8 coaches.

RailWonderer

Established Member
It’s still not fixed. P13 and 14 are currently blocked so I assume it’s getting fixed shortly.
I noticed it too. With the lack of 12 car trains at the moment I don't think they see it as urgent, although it would be ideal timing to fix it now so when things return to normal P14 can take 12 car trains again.

Class 170101

Established Member
With the amount of Shenfield to Liverpool Street all Line Blocks NR should have fixed this by now!

Status
Not open for further replies.