• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greenford branch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
My main concern here in regards to the Greenford branch is that cutting it to West Ealing made the service more undesirable. West Ealing station itself is not the best in the world particularly when it comes to changing trains there. I am not surprised, just as I had feared, that the line's usage has dropped further.

Personally to revive usage, I think the service needs to:
  • Gear towards being 4 times an hour (at least during the peaks)
  • Introduce a Sunday service too once a 4-track timetable is in operation.
  • Connections between TfL Rail trains and the branch need to be made better
  • Try and provide a clock-face timetable again - this disappeared when the line got cut back!
  • Make the stations feel safer, cleaner and secure and also more open and accessible - whilst it's not an issue with most stations on the line, this is actually directed towards South Greenford where you have to go through the Amazon rainforest (!) to access the platform.
The demand is there, believe me! The public transport in the area between West Ealing and Greenford isn't the best particularly at the intermediate stations. Castle Bar Park during the week has one bus service, the E11, which is quite unreliable and itself is every 20 minutes (nearly the same frequency as the trains on the line) which is indirect and only serves the Ealing area. South Greenford only has one bus on the station's doorstep, the 95, which is also unreliable due to the nature of the route (uses the A40 for most of it which can get congested easily).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LBOTG

The main problem with the Greenford line since its cutback is the fact the connection from London is so poor. Due to the nature of the GWML, trains are very often delayed on the suburban lines and arrive at West Ealing a couple of minutes late. Due to the number of freight trains using the Greenford line, often it can't really be held until the connection arrives, so you essentially have a load of passengers running over that footbridge and down the other platform only to find there is no train. As a local to West Ealing, I have also noticed ridership has declined significantly - just after the change was introduced the arrivals at West Ealing at around 7:30am were reasonably full, but now they're less than half of that. During the off-peak you'll struggle to find more than five people on the train.

I do still think the introduction of the Hayes shuttle was worth it, especially during the peak hours. Now, they are almost always standing room only and gives a much improved service to the busy stations of Southall and Hayes & Harlington. However, the Greenford Line does seem to have a sense of neglect surrounding it, especially as the train often ends up cancelled or in the form of the run-down stations, as many other users have pointed out.

In an ideal world, what I would propose is that the Greenford Line was electrified (which I know won't happen) and then perhaps a 4-car EMU could attach to another 4-cars at West Ealing and then run through to Paddington. Of course, as TFL Rail run the services now, this won't happen.

Additionally, as the GWML is so tightly timetabled coupling at West Ealing isn't really viable. From what I've seen, Castle Bar Park is the only station which generates any sort of usage - South Greenford is in the middle of nowhere whilst with Drayton Green, the E1 bus service offers a faster alternative to Ealing Broadway and is very busy in comparison.

I understand that the Greenford Line probably won't close due to freight traffic, but if you want passenger numbers to get any higher, the stations need a makeover and perhaps the service does need to be made more attractive. I don't know how this can be achieved, maybe through an increased frequency, or perhaps instead of the Hayes shuttle making an additional Reading/Didcot service at Southall, West Ealing and Acton Main Line, or even just holding the connection a little bit more, but what we can infer is that the Greenford Line has certainly seen better days, especially since the local bus network has become far more attractive despite the traffic-filled nature of London's roads.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
In an ideal world, what I would propose is that the Greenford Line was electrified (which I know won't happen) and then perhaps a 4-car EMU could attach to another 4-cars at West Ealing and then run through to Paddington. Of course, as TFL Rail run the services now, this won't happen.
As has been said, it is impossible to path down trains over the junction with the originally planned Crossrail timetable in place, never mind the recently improved numbers west of Paddington. This limitation has been known about for many years, ever since the Crossrail Act was confirmed.

The 'Hayes Shuttle' was very much a temporary service, and shouldn't actually be running anymore. It is only there now because the signalling changes on the airport branch have not been completed.

I tend to agree with an earlier poster that the perception of the 'unnecessary extra change' will go away when the through Crossrail service starts, as the present change at Paddington will be removed for many passengers.

cle

Established Member
It was proposed to be 4tph way back when, but probably when all the branches were being wired. It doesn’t matter too much, it wouldn’t impact journey times materially.

Future talk of High Wycombe services could increase usage, if an OOC Chiltern link doesn’t happen. Journey times might be pretty slow though overall.

IainG81

In regard to the terminating at Ealing Broadway i think there was once a siding between the relief and main lines which could be used by services terminating at Ealing Broadway heading into London and then sent back out but that has been gone for a long time.

It's a shame what's happened to the Greenford Branch i used to use it to get to West Ealing but can't see that GWR or TFL rail care about it. If you look at the first Greenford train of the day from Paddington you have an 8 car 387 that leaves 3 minutes before and a TFL used to be (GWR shuttle) rail service that leaves 3 minutes after. Normally the Greenford service is the Front Train as well so a walk along the platform is required to reach the Greenford service.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It was proposed to be 4tph way back when, but probably when all the branches were being wired. It doesn’t matter too much, it wouldn’t impact journey times materially.
To the best of my knowledge the Greenford line has never been included in “all the GW branches” as published in the various CP4 or CP5 enhancement plans; I think any mooted frequency increases must have been with more DMUs.

matt_world2004

Established Member
In regard to the terminating at Ealing Broadway i think there was once a siding between the relief and main lines which could be used by services terminating at Ealing Broadway heading into London and then sent back out but that has been gone for a long time.

It's a shame what's happened to the Greenford Branch i used to use it to get to West Ealing but can't see that GWR or TFL rail care about it. If you look at the first Greenford train of the day from Paddington you have an 8 car 387 that leaves 3 minutes before and a TFL used to be (GWR shuttle) rail service that leaves 3 minutes after. Normally the Greenford service is the Front Train as well so a walk along the platform is required to reach the Greenford service.
There would be no point terminating at ealing broadway without a dedicated line being built for the greenford services. The point of them terminating at west ealing is so they dont cross the gwml.

If they could terminate them at Ealing Broadway it would be better to continue them all the way to paddington whereby they could terminate them in the platforms vacated by the launch of crossrail.

Status
Not open for further replies.