Greenford

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2005
Messages
7,572
Location
Rail replacement bus cab
When was this station last refurbished? It has two sets of stone stairs and one escalator, which goes up - and it's wooden! Plus it still has semaphore signals!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Julian G

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2005
Messages
3,511
joea1 said:
When was this station last refurbished? It has two sets of stone stairs and one escalator, which goes up - and it's wooden! Plus it still has semaphore signals!
aren't those the escalators which were in the KXSP fire?
 

Met Driver

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
1,734
Julian G said:
aren't those the escalators which were in the KXSP fire?
I assume you mean wooden escalators in general rather than the example at Greenford?

King's Cross did indeed have wooden escalators at the time of the fire, as did pretty much all escalator-equipped stations at that time. The fire resulted in their (almost) complete removal. Greenford has one of the few (if not, the only) surviving examples on LU.
 

Galvanize

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
955
Location
South East london
Greenford is different, because it's above ground the rules for wooden esculators are relaxed. They don't come under section 12 (IIRC) unlike stations like Marylebone and Bethnal Green (both of which had wooden esculators.
 

Coxster

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2005
Messages
9,244
taw valley said:
so after so after 39 years after steam had finished theres still semophore signals becuse NR havnt been out to replace them
There are quite a lot of semaphores still about really. Infact one line recently had it's semaphores upgraded rather than replaced!
 

RJ

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2005
Messages
7,572
Location
Rail replacement bus cab
taw valley said:
so after so after 39 years after steam had finished theres still semophore signals becuse NR havnt been out to replace them

GO MODNERISATION!!!!!!!



I don't think that it's obligatory for the signal to be replaced for a single reversible line! As for the freight line, it only sees a few services a week from Park Royal/Angerstein/West Ruislip/Calvert, and the odd ECS.

Just wondering, does the Gospel Oak-Barking line still have semaphores in parts?
 

Tomnick

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2005
Messages
5,374
What's wrong with semaphores? As the man says, it ain't broke, so don't fix it!

In fact, at Barnetby, I wonder if a 'modernised' scheme would be able to handle the heavy volume of traffic as efficiently as the current (largely semaphore) signalling does?
 

Jordy

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2005
Messages
8,464
Location
Leighton Buzzard
Tomnick said:
What's wrong with semaphores? As the man says, it ain't broke, so don't fix it!

In fact, at Barnetby, I wonder if a 'modernised' scheme would be able to handle the heavy volume of traffic as efficiently as the current (largely semaphore) signalling does?
Good question, to be honest, I dont think it would!!!

Jordy
 

Sprinter

Member
Joined
14 Jun 2005
Messages
319
Location
Walthamstow, London
joea1 said:



I don't think that it's obligatory for the signal to be replaced for a single reversible line! As for the freight line, it only sees a few services a week from Park Royal/Angerstein/West Ruislip/Calvert, and the odd ECS.

Just wondering, does the Gospel Oak-Barking line still have semaphores in parts?
The GOBLIN does indeed still have semaphores, notably heading westbound from Harringay GL to Crouch Hill
 

RJ

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2005
Messages
7,572
Location
Rail replacement bus cab
Royalscot said:
The Greenford area sees a half hourly stopper from Paddington, the one Paddington-Banbury train via High Wycombe per day and a batch of ECS movements 'turning for old oak, plus the occasional engineers trains. All it's its pretty low priority.
Or the 11:55 Paddington-Princes Risborough ;) And today, Paddington to Birmingham! Time to ride a Chiltern 168 (which won't whisk me off to wherever the depot is ;))

Ta for that Sprinter, I might go there soon to get some pics!
 

Oracle

Established Member
Joined
19 May 2006
Messages
1,410
Location
Near Ashurst New Forest Station
If you want semaphores there are a lovely pair of doubles on two gantries either end of the former Marchwood station and the loop on the Totton Junction>Fawley branch. There are also two hand-operated crossings at Marchwood and School Road, Hythe.

I was amazed to see semaphores at Banbury still, and Newhaven Marine.
 

Oracle

Established Member
Joined
19 May 2006
Messages
1,410
Location
Near Ashurst New Forest Station
Cheers for that.

Just got back from the RHDR....Hythe and New Romey both have semaphores. I take it that the Arun Valley line still does or have they gone? Littlehampton used to and those on the Bognor Regis branch, not the starter at Barnham, were still there last Saturday!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top