• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greggs at stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

anti-pacer

Established Member
Wakefield Westgate has one. Does any other station?

Also, as the Leeds Tourist Information Centre is relocating from the station soon, do you think a branch of Greggs there would do well? There's no similar competition, the size of that unit is ideal, and let's face it, Northerners like a pasty!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DelayRepay

Established Member
Do they charge normal Greggs prices or a premium? If they charge normal prices I think they'll do very well as they'll be quite a bit cheaper than SSP's offerings. If they do the coffee and a bacon roll for £2 deal their only problem will be cooking enough bacon!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Yes, I think one could do well.

I've had cause to use Wakefield Westgate relatively early on a Sunday morning on a couple of occasions recently, and have been pleasantly surprised to find it open, which was useful.

anti-pacer

Established Member
Do they charge normal Greggs prices or a premium? If they charge normal prices I think they'll do very well as they'll be quite a bit cheaper than SSP's offerings. If they do the coffee and a bacon roll for £2 deal their only problem will be cooking enough bacon!

Possibly slightly more but certainly not a great deal.

Greggs are represented in, as far as I'm aware, four of West Yorkshire's bus stations (Leeds, Bradford, Huddersfield, Wakefield) and I think they're slightly more expensive.

Established Member
Liverpool Central and Manchester Piccadilly have one just outside. Liverpool Central I think you have to walk past to enter the station, MAN is on the station approach road.

And they do the £2 breakfast deal!

Iskra

Established Member

Greggs insist relatively normal prices are maintained- otherwise Greggs' on motorway service stations would be as expensive as everything else (excluding M&S who have a similar policy in place).

Strathclyder

Established Member
Not sure if this really counts, but there is one underneath Glasgow Central's Heilanman's Umbrella on Argyle Street.

Established Member
While I don't dislike Greggs although I preferred them when they were Thurston's in Yorkshire they seem to expanding all over the place along with Subway and the Coffee shops e.g. Starbucks, which is all very well but probably another nail in the coffin for the independent's until one day we have to buy everything from the large chains and multinational's. Coming home from Brighouse the other day as well as the Subway in Brighouse there now a Subway on the nearby motorway services, and soon to be a another at Chain Bar, along with a Greggs and a Starbucks.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Greggs insist relatively normal prices are maintained- otherwise Greggs' on motorway service stations would be as expensive as everything else (excluding M&S who have a similar policy in place).

AFAIK Greggs don't operate franchises. Most 'High Street' businesses in both Motorway Service Areas and Railway Stations are operated separate from the core business. In the case of Motorway services they're generally run by the site owners (Roadchef, Moto etc.) and at railway stations the Burger King outlets are run by SSP. For a Greggs to open an outlet in Leeds they'd be wanting to retain management of the unit.

Greggs is rubbish anyway though. I prefer Pound Bakery. ;)

Iskra

Established Member
AFAIK Greggs don't operate franchises. Most 'High Street' businesses in both Motorway Service Areas and Railway Stations are operated separate from the core business. In the case of Motorway services they're generally run by the site owners (Roadchef, Moto etc.) and at railway stations the Burger King outlets are run by SSP. For a Greggs to open an outlet in Leeds they'd be wanting to retain management of the unit.

I know they are franchises. The point I was making is that Greggs prevent the prices from being raised to exorbitant levels in franchises as it damages the brand.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Is that (and VAT) the reason why they have threatening signs saying "don't you dare eat in"? This strikes me as rather stupid, I think they should give you the option of paying the VAT if you wish to eat in.

Neil

anti-pacer

Established Member

Sorry but Pound Bakery is vile. The clue is in the name! Awful stuff.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Theres a Gregg's at Hull station - although its around the corner in the bus station area (within the trainshed).

Mugby

Established Member
The cheapest hot drinks I've found anywhere are from the kiosk at the far end of the concourse at Manchester Piccadilly.

Can't remember the name of it but I believe they have another one somewhere.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
There's a bakery in Temple Meads in Bristol that charges £3 for a sausage roll! Astronomical prices!

A Greggs would be great to be fair.

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
The cheapest hot drinks I've found anywhere are from the kiosk at the far end of the concourse at Manchester Piccadilly.

Breadbox

Established Member
Mugby:2021684 said:

Breadbox

tsr

Established Member
Also one of those in the middle of Victoria, don't know if they're as cheap there though!

And at London Bridge (behind Upper Crust, by M&S, on the terminating trains' concourse). Both these London Breadbox outlets charge £1 for basic hot drinks (tea, non-fancy coffee etc.) and about £1.50 for things like lattes, as far as I remember. The coffee isn't bad for the money, though in terms of quality, I prefer their pastries, which are surprisingly good and can be added to the price of some hot drinks for a matter of only 50p, or thereabouts.

causton

Established Member
Hull Victoria Dock ;) (never heard of it either!)

Oops, yes, London Victoria, that is!
12582684.jpg

DelayRepay

Established Member
In kind of related news (that doesn't justify a new thread) - I've noticed several WH Smiths at stations have replaced their Costa Coffee machines with Nescafe ones. The good news is the Nescafe is only £1 - probably the cheapest thing in WH Smith! The bad news is it's absolutely foul stuff!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
In kind of related news (that doesn't justify a new thread) - I've noticed several WH Smiths at stations have replaced their Costa Coffee machines with Nescafe ones. The good news is the Nescafe is only £1 - probably the cheapest thing in WH Smith! The bad news is it's absolutely foul stuff!

Obviously not Gold Blend then !

Status
Not open for further replies.