• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greggs in Manchester Victoria.

Hi all, I was in MCV last week when I noticed Greggs was completely Gutted and closed.
Has it closed for good?, It has always been packed whenever I have visited, Or a refurb?
I hope its the latter.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Hi all, I was in MCV last week when I noticed Greggs was completely Gutted and closed.
Has it closed for good?, It has always been packed whenever I have visited, Or a refurb?
I hope its the latter.
A quick google search suggests temporary closure, hard to say how accurate that info is though?

Leyland155

I hope its the latter.
I was told it's closed for a refit, it was giving out free food on the last day before it closed apparently. I know a fair few of the station staff would be devastated if it were permanent :lol:

I was told it's closed for a refit, it was giving out free food on the last day before it closed apparently. I know a fair few of the station staff would be devastated if it were permanent :lol:
Thank you for the info, I thought it was a bit silly to close such a busy outlet- Its too small though.

It always looks busy, so a refurb would seem most plausible.
Thanks.

It has been gutted but isn't the sign still up?
I didn't notice a sign as I was rushing for my train.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
If it's an SSP franchise then I'm surprised it's so busy as they are more expensive than the regular Greggs and even the regular Greggs is getting a bit pricey these days especially given the quality or lack thereof, honestly can we not have local good quality outlets at stations anymore instead of endless branded outlets and large chains serving mass produced crap at highly controversial prices? My same complaint applies to motorway services and goodness only knows how many other outlets and locations

Established Member
You could have told me! :D

Trackman

Established Member
I only go to Man Vic a few of times a year, can someone tell me where it is please? I've googled about it, but not been able to find anything. It says it's inside the station, but when I went in early December I didn't see it.

Leyland155

I only go to Man Vic a few of times a year, can someone tell me where it is please? I've googled about it, but not been able to find anything. It says it's inside the station, but when I went in early December I didn't see it.
It's directly opposite the booking office, next to the stairs which lead up to the arena.

Revaulx

The tiny coffee shop that had previously been a barber’s did the best espresso in Manchester. Sorely missed, though the Victoria Tap provides some compensation.

Edit: Java. The one just outside Oxford Road is still going.

Last edited:

96tommy

Noticed the other day there was a sign saying it was reopening in February (possibly 10th??)

Geeves

Established Member
They were working on it today so they must be keen to reopen! I had heard it's the most profitable Greggs in Manchester and maybe beyond...

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Has the Costa on the bridge concourse at Piccadilly reopened yet?
Last time I went past the physical unit had been removed, but rumoured to come back in bigger form.
Like the Vic Greggs, it was on my usual itinerary.

SteveM70

Established Member
If it's an SSP franchise then I'm surprised it's so busy as they are more expensive than the regular Greggs and even the regular Greggs is getting a bit pricey these days

Yes, but if everywhere else in the station is also run by SSP then the Greggs will presumably seem relatively inexpensive?

The tiny coffee shop that had previously been a barber’s did the best espresso in Manchester. Sorely missed, though the Victoria Tap provides some compensation.

Edit: Java. The one just outside Oxford Road is still going.

Absolutely. I used to have a coffee there and take 15 minutes to organise myself before going into work when I commuted into Manchester. Lovely coffee and really nice staff. I miss it too

Geeves

Established Member
The long gone M&S food outlet has been cleared and had workers in there over the weekend.

Wonder if it's been let?

They wont be bothering with a shop there again after the first two iterations were robbed blind to the point of having to lock doors and close half the shop off, you know the clientele around the station lol.

That entrance where M&S was should become the new entrance to the Network rail offices, reception area and what not :)

More work going on at Greggs this afternoon, looks like the desk is moving to in front of the doors giving a longer till area. Hopefully they have a chiller cabinet! I would imagine everything will be behind the counter now but I might be wrong

vic-rijrode

...honestly can we not have local good quality outlets at stations anymore instead of endless branded outlets and large chains serving mass produced crap at highly controversial prices?
One reason why Greggs (and indeed other "brands") is popular is that you know exactly what you are getting and how much you pay. I also think "mass produced crap" is insulting - especially in the case of Greggs (who must be doing something right to still be in robust business).

I have used quite a few "local" outlets over the years and find the quality varies enormously from "excellent and value for money" to "mediocre and rip-off prices". I now tend to steer clear of "local outlets" unless recommended (as on this fourm) - although having said that I have been in one or two highly commended here and would not return.

jamesst

One reason why Greggs (and indeed other "brands") is popular is that you know exactly what you are getting and how much you pay. I also think "mass produced crap" is insulting - especially in the case of Greggs (who must be doing something right to still be in robust business).

I have used quite a few "local" outlets over the years and find the quality varies enormously from "excellent and value for money" to "mediocre and rip-off prices". I now tend to steer clear of "local outlets" unless recommended (as on this fourm) - although having said that I have been in one or two highly commended here and would not return.
This!
I know a lot of people rail against the big brands and say buy local etc. The problem though is quality can be incredibly poor at some of them

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
This!
I know a lot of people rail against the big brands and say buy local etc. The problem though is quality can be incredibly poor at some of them

This is why local shops have been done so much damage by Tesco Express etc. The problem is that almost every independent local shop is expensive and poorly-stocked. If they weren't, the mini-supermarkets may not have taken off.

SteveM70

Established Member
This is why local shops have been done so much damage by Tesco Express etc. The problem is that almost every independent local shop is expensive and poorly-stocked. If they weren't, the mini-supermarkets may not have taken off.

And of the independent corner shops still left, a lot get their stock from Booker……..which of course is owned by Tesco

Every little helps!

Ant158

Have been in the Costa At Victoria over the last week and the staff have said they have seen a big uplift in sales with Greggs being shut. The Greggs at Victoria does always seem busy, and has long opening hours. I’m not sure what other outlets Victoria needs, already having WhS, Starbucks, Costa and 2 pubs, plus the coffee horsebox behind the gate line.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Have been in the Costa At Victoria over the last week and the staff have said they have seen a big uplift in sales with Greggs being shut. The Greggs at Victoria does always seem busy, and has long opening hours. I’m not sure what other outlets Victoria needs, already having WhS, Starbucks, Costa and 2 pubs, plus the coffee horsebox behind the gate line.

A small proper supermarket and an M&S Food are to me absolute minimum requirements for any major city station. It needs both like Piccadilly has.