• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Group Bourdon Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElmPark

Not sure if it has already been mentioned on here, but certainly when you take the tests at the OPC premises you have to wear a face mask - it's worth practicing under those conditions ... might sound daft but it's worth getting used to, especially if you wear glasses and they steam up!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SVDW995

Not sure if it has already been mentioned on here, but certainly when you take the tests at the OPC premises you have to wear a face mask - it's worth practicing under those conditions ... might sound daft but it's worth getting used to, especially if you wear glasses and they steam up!
Good tip, thanks!

Daft question, but do you have to go left to right? I like to go left to right, then right to left when I reach the end of the first line, and repeat. I know, it’s a stupid question but just want to double check and practice correctly.

mstrwvr

Good tip, thanks!

Daft question, but do you have to go left to right? I like to go left to right, then right to left when I reach the end of the first line, and repeat. I know, it’s a stupid question but just want to double check and practice correctly.

The instructions are to go left to right. You are scored up to your furthest point down the page, moving left to right, row by row down the page. Now imagine the time ran out as you were on a row where you were moving right to left. You'd be scored on your last mark on the page, so anything you missed on the left hand side of the page you hadn't reached yet would be counted as an omission, which you wouldn't want. Does that make sense?

SVDW995

The instructions are to go left to right. You are scored up to your furthest point down the page, moving left to right, row by row down the page. Now imagine the time ran out as you were on a row where you were moving right to left. You'd be scored on your last mark on the page, so anything you missed on the left hand side of the page you hadn't reached yet would be counted as an omission, which you wouldn't want. Does that make sense?
Yes, thank you, it does. I will practice left to right, and not zig zag. And with a mask on!

Lumpa6259

Yes, When I have been practicing on Metodorf it has marked these as omissions when actually I haven’t got to them.

I have found now when practicing that going left to right on every line actually seems to help. Because when I was doing it the other way I think you kind of drift down and back across. Where as when you start again at the beginning of a new line on the left you sub consciously re set yourself if that makes any sense

DriverEight

I found that you can do each printed sheet just as easily if it's upside down, but it's a completey different layout. So your 5 printed sheets becomes 10 different tests, just photo copy them before you use them

Daisyjennings

I have downloaded the software but when I try and print a few sheets, it takes me to one note and I am only able to print one, anyone know how to address this?

jonge88

Hi guys, I am due to visit the OPC centre in Watford soon, I have printed off and am using their practice material to "revise" as much as I can, however their Group Bourdon practice material consists of searching for letters (upper and lowercase) rather than the dots as most other group bourdon practice material use, does anybody know what to expect on the day so that I can prepare myself correctly? Thank you!

UVB76

Hi guys new member here. Some great info on here it's been really informative reading. However I tried to download the file in the sticky on the opening post of this thread and it sent my anti virus software into meltdown. The AV removed the virus but doing so removed the entire file so unable to practice the tests

centro-323

There's no virus in it, it's been used by thousands of people on here with no problems over the years! If you can't convince your AV program to give it a pass, then I'd disconnect from the internet, temporarily deactivate/sleep mode the AV, and then install it. Just remember to turn it back on again later :)

Snaz5

I have my test in 2 weeks.... Just wondering if anyone knows if it will be paper based or PC... south east london arriva

Luckyflames

I was consistently getting 0 errors and 0 omissions, getting about 10-11 lines down on each page, with a row fluctuation of about 2.5. I got an enhanced pass last month with EMT.
Try to use paper printouts for your practice, as this is what you'll likely be using on the day. :) Print off 5 sheets, and give yourself 2 minutes for each sheet. You want to strike-through from top right to bottom left, every group of '4' dots. Make a 'cross' for the ones you mark by accident, as you would do in the real test.

Good luck!
It’s top left to bottom
Right. This test is easy. On the day sheets and imaginary squares are bigger. No mistakes you’re through.

Rhian

Hi i've recently been invited to take an online SCAAT test, I have a week to practice but wondered if anyone could tell me the timing and format of the actual test please? Is it say 3 sheets per question at 2 mins a sheet, or 5 sheets per question with a minute per sheet? Thanks in advance for any help, really struggling with this test at present but think im trying to rush through!

SeanW90

I’ve got my psychometrics coming up. Anyone know if completing 13-15 lines with 0 mistakes and 1 or 2 omissions is enough to pass at enhanced?

Owen2323

I’ve got my psychometrics coming up. Anyone know if completing 13-15 lines with 0 mistakes and 1 or 2 omissions is enough to pass at enhanced?

It's one of those things that the only people who do know are the opc who are shrouded in secrecy! From visiting this site and reading people's experiences I'd imagine that would be enough to pass at enhanced level but the enhanced scores vary from toc to toc. You might be best off posting something in the general section on a new thread or a similar existing one which relates to the exact toc/foc you have applied for......? Good luck

Luckyflames

Pretty sure I only completed 8 lines per A3 x 5 sheets. With no mistakes. And I passed enhanced. People talking about 12/13 /14 lines. Are living in a fantasy world.

Owen2323

"Pretty sure I only completed 8 lines per A3 x 5 sheets. With no mistakes. And I passed enhanced. People talking about 12/13 /14 lines. Are living in a fantasy world."
[/QUOTE]
I'd imagine they're referring to the practice material that goes with this thread which I think each line is shorter (and smaller print!) than the A3 sheets you do on the actual test. I've heard a few people say they can do 12/13 lines on the practice stuff with no errors (I was averaging between 10 and 12 so their claims could well be true....)

SeanW90

Pretty sure I only completed 8 lines per A3 x 5 sheets. With no mistakes. And I passed enhanced. People talking about 12/13 /14 lines. Are living in a fantasy world.
I passed everything in the end now just waiting for a medical/start date. The A3 sheets are quite different to the computer practice tool. I think I did about 8 or 9 lines too and passed at enhanced. I found the actual test was much easier than the computer tool.

Lotto

What app will open the papers on my phone to then print off? No PC available.

Andreas25

Have you tried this and if so do you know what the app version is like?
RailTest prep apps are continuously updated and also available for iPad and Android. They recently added also the TRP2 (Dials and Rules) and Everyday Attention tests.

Training

Hi all,

I have this test coming up with EMR. Just wondering if anybody knows if EMR use paper or computer? And confirmation on how long we can per sheet… I have seen some say 2 mins and some say 1 minute!

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Hi all,

I have this test coming up with EMR. Just wondering if anybody knows if EMR use paper or computer? And confirmation on how long we can per sheet… I have seen some say 2 mins and some say 1 minute!
The dot test is a paper test, not sure if EMR state differently but should be 1 minute for sheet though it feels longer

lunlen45

Was on paper when I did it last year, assessment was ran by someone from the OPC. I'd recommend printing off the pages for practice instead of doing it on screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.