• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR/1878 - Orpington Depot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MelTD@CFT

Where did you hear that? I emailed Trudy today but no response yet?
I called Trudy this morning. Back in November she said to give her a call about the medical if I hadn’t heard from her by mid-January which I did today. If you hear back from her let us know.

Last edited:

bionic

Please note this is based on rumour, not fact... but...

I'm still fully expecting most of the Orpington GTR depot vacancies to go to SE drivers from the same location, over 60 of whom already sign the routes and traction. That sucks for people waiting to get in there as trainees but the general consensus among many is that's what will happen.

I hope I'm wrong, but if I was waiting for these jobs I'd also be busily looking elsewhere to start my driver training.

Niek88

I called Trudy this morning. Back in November she said to give her a call about the medical if I hadn’t heard from her by mid-January which I did today. If you hear back from her let us know.
Did Trudy tell you this directly?

Terryp1984

Gutted tbh.
Can't believe they would do all interviews last year if there were no courses or start dates just seems crazy

Need2

Please note this is based on rumour, not fact... but...

I'm still fully expecting most of the Orpington GTR depot vacancies to go to SE drivers from the same location, over 60 of whom already sign the routes and traction. That sucks for people waiting to get in there as trainees but the general consensus among many is that's what will happen.

I hope I'm wrong, but if I was waiting for these jobs I'd also be busily looking elsewhere to start my driver training.

I'm not.
From what I understand a few SE drivers applied and then the process of Thameslink 'poaching' drivers was stopped abruptly, it was then supposedly to restart in December.
It hasn't to my knowledge.
I have spoken to a few SE drivers and none of them are aware of any drivers from Orpington SE going over to Thameslink............................(yet!)

bionic

I'm not.
From what I understand a few SE drivers applied and then the process of Thameslink 'poaching' drivers was stopped abruptly, it was then supposedly to restart in December.
It hasn't to my knowledge.
I have spoken to a few SE drivers and none of them are aware of any drivers from Orpington SE going over to Thameslink............................(yet!)

That's because SE drivers currently do the work for less than GTR drivers. MORE than half of Orpington SE depot applied for GTR jobs after a flyer SPECIFICALLY ASKING SE DRIVERS TO APPLY was left "lying around" at all SE metro depots except Orpington. Notably GTR took on drivers from other depots without them having to honour their notice period. It's not in their interests to take Orpy drivers until SE lose the work. Then half the SE depot will be left twiddling it's thumbs. They'll take Orpington SE drivers en masse when the time is right. If they don't I'll eat my hat!

Need2

That's because SE drivers currently do the work for less than GTR drivers. MORE than half of Orpington SE depot applied for GTR jobs after a flyer SPECIFICALLY ASKING SE DRIVERS TO APPLY was left "lying around" at all SE metro depots except Orpington. Notably GTR took on drivers from other depots without them having to honour their notice period. It's not in their interests to take Orpy drivers until SE lose the work. Then half the SE depot will be left twiddling it's thumbs. They'll take Orpington SE drivers en masse when the time is right. If they don't I'll eat my hat!

The drivers pay might be less for a SE driver but overall it costs more to get SE to do the work than a TL driver!
There's not 1 ex SE driver at my depot and are you saying that SE employed and trained drivers specifically to cover Thameslink work so that when the work is taken back by TL they will have nothing to do?

Niek88

Is there likely to be any trainee courses further down in the year? It would be nice to get an official update as to what is going on.

ComUtoR

Established Member
It's not in their interests to take Orpy drivers until SE lose the work. Then half the SE depot will be left twiddling it's thumbs. They'll take Orpington SE drivers en masse when the time is right. If they don't I'll eat my hat!

There's not 1 ex SE driver at my depot and are you saying that SE employed and trained drivers specifically to cover Thameslink work so that when the work is taken back by TL they will have nothing to do?

May I politely suggest you take this to private messages. The internal discussions about Orpington/GTR/SE/Poaching etc and the in's and outs aren't really suitable for public consumption and would be close to breaching the social media policy.

Should a depot lose a fair portion of their work they may become over establishment and therefore have a surplus of Drivers. Whether this would be resolved by TUPE or Redundancy is a matter for those involved and certainly would be done after consultation and most likely voluntary. There would most likely be a shuffle of work between the Metro depots and Orpington may even get their Mainline work back etc etc. There is also a question of the franchise and if any new incumbent would continue the working arrangements etc. Time will tell and I know that the establishments level at Vic is on the increase and they normally change overt ime regardless.

Before I digress further. Remember this is a recruitment thread.

bionic

The drivers pay might be less for a SE driver but overall it costs more to get SE to do the work than a TL driver!

Yes. That is exactly what I'm saying.

Lab

So is it a matter of waiting and is there a possibility this course would be this year

KentDriver

May I politely suggest you take this to private messages. The internal discussions about Orpington/GTR/SE/Poaching etc and the in's and outs aren't really suitable for public consumption and would be close to breaching the social media policy.

Should a depot lose a fair portion of their work they may become over establishment and therefore have a surplus of Drivers. Whether this would be resolved by TUPE or Redundancy is a matter for those involved and certainly would be done after consultation and most likely voluntary. There would most likely be a shuffle of work between the Metro depots and Orpington may even get their Mainline work back etc etc. There is also a question of the franchise and if any new incumbent would continue the working arrangements etc. Time will tell and I know that the establishments level at Vic is on the increase and they normally change overt ime regardless.

Before I digress further. Remember this is a recruitment thread.
What ComUtoR said

bionic

Should a depot lose a fair portion of their work they may become over establishment and therefore have a surplus of Drivers. Whether this would be resolved by TUPE or Redundancy is a matter for those involved and certainly would be done after consultation and most likely voluntary.

To be honest your mentioning of TUPE and redundancies is quite alarming and courts contoversy far more than any personal opinions myself and others may have mooted on the subject. Clearly you are privy to inside information. I never dreamt there would be talk of drivers being TUPE'd across or voluntary redundancies.

I just assumed GTR would cherry pick the drivers they wanted and the others would stay working for SE. That was just an opinion. Based on what you've posted about possible redundancies, I've obviously been barking up the wrong tree.

I know that the establishments level at Vic is on the increase

And what's the increasing establishment at Victoria got to do with any of this?

You suggested people should keep their personal opinions to private messages and then went and dropped a bombshell!

Point taken. I'll not say another word on the subject.

bigbeerbelly

Does anyone have an email address for the recruitment team at GTR? Would have messaged one of you directly but no idea how to do that on here!!

Terryp1984

The only email I have is for Trudy. Just spoke to her on the phone. There is no courses now booked she didn't know why. Said she is waiting for an update as to when that might be. So frustrating to be sitting in limbo

Ray90

Not yet, though Trudy advised me to call back in April, when she should have more info/news. I'll call back then.

MelTD@CFT

Not yet, though Trudy advised me to call back in April, when she should have more info/news. I'll call back then.
It seems like everyone is receiving the dreaded email from Trudy that training dates in 2019 are unlikely, regardless of the depot. Just received mine, as did people for Cricklewood & Hornsey...

Niek88

Its just a matter of being patient ladies and gents. The email did not rule out an eventual start date.

DM92

I've been waiting for course date with Gtr since March 2016. Still told same thing.

Cavey81

I just find it hard to understand why they would waste so much time and resources on recruitment then just keep people waiting for years. Doesn't make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.