• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR Southern or South West Trains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmm883

Hi guys, just wanted to get your opinions.

Which company would you rather work for as a driver and why?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
South West 100%

!"£$!£$ GTR and ^%&$% DOO.

tlionhart

South West 100%

!"£$!£$ GTR and ^%&$% DOO.

Hahaha DOO isn't bad. Although GTR is in the same group as Southern and they are not exactly having a great time.

I would chose SWT out of the 2. I had this dilemma when I started and went for Great Western. (FGW at the time)
As for SWT have lots of new and exciting plans ahead. Where will you be based with SWT?

Class2ldn

Sundays are outside with southern but you have to get someone to cover it, not an issue we have at TL at the moment :) That may well change though. Swt Sundays are inside

cmm883

Thanks for the replies guys.

@ tlionhart - If all goes well it'll be Waterloo

@ ComUtoR - Almost spat out my tea reading your post, I see your point :lol:

jon0844

Veteran Member
Won't SWT go DOO in a future franchise?

Sent from my HUAWEI MLA-L11 using Tapatalk

theironroad

Established Member
Won't SWT go DOO in a future franchise?

Sent from my HUAWEI MLA-L11 using Tapatalk

Well the new 707s will have in cab doo cameras so that would be the first target on the suburban network. The rest of the suburban network will need a lot of new kit for doo, either retrofitting body side cameras or putting in new platform equipment if that's still allowed.

Longer distance, such as Portsmouth, Salisbury and Weymouth would probably go OBS style I'd guess.

Don't forget there is likely to be a break clause in the new franchise to allow tfl to grab london suburban routes and I believe all tfl heavy rail is or will be soon doo.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Retrofit of on-board CCTV to anything that SWT has that isn't a 707 would be prohibitively expensive (a lot of rewiring I gather, plus where in the cab would you put the monitors?) and would probably entail reasonably large chunks of the fleet out of service for long periods of time; which is obviously not a popular option.
All of SWT's fleet other than the 707s/456s have corridor connections on the front; and you're not allowed to do DOO on trains with corridor connections without CCTV I gather. Even if it "magically" became possible; the installation and upkeep of 500 odd sets of platform monitors won't come cheaply either.
The future's a bit wobbly on the inner suburban; but outside of the M25 I'd say (with the pinch of salt that this statement always carries) guards will be there until at least fleet replacement; and that; for the Desiros/Junipers at least; is a VERY long time away.
But I digress, back to the OP's question.
SWT. I echo ComUtoR's comments as to why
Hopefully I'll hold you up at a red sometime :)

Last edited:

387star

On Moderation
swt drivers get to wear shorts which is pretty cool

I didn't realize desiros didn't have body side cameras. They also have guard offices- although maybe they will replace those eventually with more seats

Last edited:

BTU

Well the new 707s will have in cab doo cameras so that would be the first target on the suburban network. The rest of the suburban network will need a lot of new kit for doo, either retrofitting body side cameras or putting in new platform equipment if that's still allowed.

Longer distance, such as Portsmouth, Salisbury and Weymouth would probably go OBS style I'd guess.

Don't forget there is likely to be a break clause in the new franchise to allow tfl to grab london suburban routes and I believe all tfl heavy rail is or will be soon doo.
I'm thinking of applying to SWT at Salisbury, does anyone know what routes they cover? Sorry for the slight change of tact to this thread.

cmm883

Retrofit of on-board CCTV to anything that SWT has that isn't a 707 would be prohibitively expensive (a lot of rewiring I gather, plus where in the cab would you put the monitors?) and would probably entail reasonably large chunks of the fleet out of service for long periods of time; which is obviously not a popular option.
All of SWT's fleet other than the 707s/456s have corridor connections on the front; and you're not allowed to do DOO on trains with corridor connections without CCTV I gather. Even if it "magically" became possible; the installation and upkeep of 500 odd sets of platform monitors won't come cheaply either.
The future's a bit wobbly on the inner suburban; but outside of the M25 I'd say (with the pinch of salt that this statement always carries) guards will be there until at least fleet replacement; and that; for the Desiros/Junipers at least; is a VERY long time away.
But I digress, back to the OP's question.
SWT. I echo ComUtoR's comments as to why
Hopefully I'll hold you up at a red sometime :)

Hopefully! :D

Thanks for the insight. It does seem like the future for london suburban routes will depend on what the DFT and TFL agree going forward..

I didn't realize desiros didn't have body side cameras. They also have guard offices- although maybe they will replace those eventually with more seats

Shorts? I'm sold! :lol:

theironroad

Established Member
I'm thinking of applying to SWT at Salisbury, does anyone know what routes they cover? Sorry for the slight change of tact to this thread.

Core routes are Waterloo to Exeter and salisbury to Bristol.

Also, salisbury to romsey to Southampton to Eastleigh and vice versa (romsey rounders)

Eastleigh to Basingstoke for diversion (not sure if all the depot sign)

Also some stuff around Yeovil, there are now a couple of services salisbury to Weymouth via westbury but not sure exactly how much.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Until you see some of the legs wearing them.....

vikingdriver

Like already mentioned...

All drivers sign:

Salisbury to Waterloo
Salisbury to Exeter St Davids
Salisbury to Bristol West Junction / Bedminster
Westbury to Yeovil Junction via Frome and the avoider
Salisbury to Eastleigh via Southampton Central
Eastleigh to Basingstoke
Eastleigh to Romsey via Chandlers Ford

A few sign:

Yeovil Pen Mill to Weymouth

99% 158/9 work with a small link who also sign 444/450 traction and a small link who sign MPV traction.

cmm883

On that same subject, what routes/traction would one sign at waterloo in the starter links?

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Not sure exactly; but definitely 455/456/458. Possibly 450 as well. 444s and 158/159s in the higher links.
There are a fair few links at Waterloo but as far as I understand it Link 2 add Alton/Bournemouth and Link 1 add Salisbury+159s. The number of years to get into those links is currently running well into double figures (as I understand)
Not sure how many links there are; I think the starters do a lot of Kingston/Hounslow rounders; which are not exactly riveting I gather; plus Chessington/Hampton Court. Guildford (via Woking; Epsom & Oxshott) could be a starter; or it could be added later. Possibly Windsor and Weybridge as well; but again I'm not sure what link. Waterloo drivers no longer go past Virginia Water or Guildford I believe. Clapham Yard is more or less a given; not sure if they do Wimbledon Park though
If anyone can correct any of the above; please do so.

Last edited:

BTU

Like already mentioned...

All drivers sign:

Salisbury to Waterloo
Salisbury to Exeter St Davids
Salisbury to Bristol West Junction / Bedminster
Westbury to Yeovil Junction via Frome and the avoider
Salisbury to Eastleigh via Southampton Central
Eastleigh to Basingstoke
Eastleigh to Romsey via Chandlers Ford

A few sign:

Yeovil Pen Mill to Weymouth

99% 158/9 work with a small link who also sign 444/450 traction and a small link who sign MPV traction.
Many thanks to you and ironroad.

cmm883

Not sure exactly; but definitely 455/456/458. Possibly 450 as well. 444s and 158/159s in the higher links.
There are a fair few links at Waterloo but as far as I understand it Link 2 add Alton/Bournemouth and Link 1 add Salisbury+159s. The number of years to get into those links is currently running well into double figures (as I understand)
Not sure how many links there are; I think the starters do a lot of Kingston/Hounslow rounders; which are not exactly riveting I gather; plus Chessington/Hampton Court. Guildford (via Woking; Epsom & Oxshott) could be a starter; or it could be added later. Possibly Windsor and Weybridge as well; but again I'm not sure what link. Waterloo drivers no longer go past Virginia Water or Guildford I believe. Clapham Yard is more or less a given; not sure if they do Wimbledon Park though
If anyone can correct any of the above; please do so.

Thanks for the detailed response :)

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Thanks for the detailed response :)

You're welcome :) As I say it could be inaccurate. Also I forgot to mention they do Shepperton; and Waterloo is one of the (I believe) relatively few SWT depots that has night turns. (Last one to Guildford and first one back from Guildford is one of them)

Last edited:

cmm883

Any idea how long the training is with swt and what it will likely consist of?

WA_Driver

On that same subject, what routes/traction would one sign at waterloo in the starter links?

Starter Link Traction Knowledge: 444/450/455/456/458(5)

Starter Link (4 & 6) Route Knowledge:
Waterloo to Waterloo (Via Richmond/Hounslow vv)
Waterloo to Waterloo (Via Kingston/Richmond vv)
Waterloo to Woking
Woking to Guildford
Waterloo to Chessington South
Waterloo to Dorking
Waterloo to Guildford (Via Cobham or Epsom)
Waterloo to Weybridge (Via Hounslow)
Waterloo to Windsor & Eton Riverside
Waterloo to Shepperton (Via Kingston/Richmond)
Point Pleasant Junction to Wimbledon Park (Via East Putney)
Clapham Yard & Wimbledon Park Depot

Link 3: Add Waterloo to Reading and soon Waterloo to Portsmouth (Direct Only)
Link 2: (and 5, which is Night Link) Add Waterloo to Poole and soon Waterloo to Alton
Link 1 Add 158/159s and Waterloo to Sailsbury
Any idea how long the training is with swt and what it will likely consist of?

Average is 12 months (depending on Depot & availablity of Driving Instructors)

The current training programme is:
Basic Rail (including doing some turns with a driver)
Rules
Slow Movements in the Yard
Driving Hours w/ Driving Instructor
Traction (including attaching & deattching units)
Driving Hours w/ Driving Instructor (must do 225 hours day light & 75 hour night time)
Five Day Final
Route Learning
Fully Productive

However.....the Mcnualty Report suggests that the railway can save money by cutting costs through training so the plan is:
Basic Rail
Driving Hours w/DI
Rules
Traction
Driving Hours w/ DI (up to 400, which will include route learning)
Five Day Final
Full Productive

cmm883

Waterloo to Woking
Woking to Guildford
Waterloo to Dorking

Link 2: (and 5, which is Night Link) Add Waterloo to Poole and soon Waterloo to Alton

Rules
Driving Hours w/ Driving Instructor (must do 225 hours day light & 75 hour night time)
Five Day Final
Route Learning
Fully Productive

However.....the Mcnualty Report suggests that the railway can save money by cutting costs through training so the plan is:
Basic Rail
Driving Hours w/DI
Rules
Traction
Five Day Final
Full Productive

Thank you for that WA_Driver!

Hi guys, just wanted to get your opinions.

Which company would you rather work for as a driver and why?

This is a very easy question. 100% South West Trains. Govia (GTR) are awful. I would never want to work for anything that is run by Govia or Go Ahead. They are a terrible incompetent company. I would recommend staying away from them. SWT however actually seem quite good and in my opinion are the best TOC in the UK. So i would definitely recommend working for SWT instead of GTR.

cmm883

This is a very easy question. 100% South West Trains. Govia (GTR) are awful. I would never want to work for anything that is run by Govia or Go Ahead. They are a terrible incompetent company. I would recommend staying away from them. SWT however actually seem quite good and in my opinion are the best TOC in the UK. So i would definitely recommend working for SWT instead of GTR.

Thanks, after reading everyone's comments it does seem like a no-brainer now

theironroad

Established Member

Waterloo to Woking
Woking to Guildford
Waterloo to Dorking

Rules
Five Day Final
Route Learning
Fully Productive

Basic Rail
Driving Hours w/DI
Rules
Traction
Five Day Final
Full Productive

Thanks. Very informative post.

Do link 1 drivers also do the reading/Poole/Portsmouth/Alton work as well as salisbury plus the rest? Or is Poole only in link 2 and salisbury only in 1 etc.

How long roughly does a new driver take to get into link 1?

Patters1983

I'm curious...why has southern got such a bad reputation? what's it like for drivers specifically?

Thanks in advance

WA_Driver

Thanks. Very informative post.

Do link 1 drivers also do the reading/Poole/Portsmouth/Alton work as well as salisbury plus the rest? Or is Poole only in link 2 and salisbury only in 1 etc.

How long roughly does a new driver take to get into link 1?

No. Link 1 don't Reading or Alton or Portsmouth. But they do get more cover/spare turns as do link 2

Erm.....guess the phrase "How long is a piece of string" is properly the best answer to give. However looking at it now. I'd would say at least 10+ years. Depends on the turnover of drivers in those links.

BTU

I'm curious...why has southern got such a bad reputation? what's it like for drivers specifically?

Thanks in advance

I can tell you that whoever is writing this crap does not work for Southern.
Just because there is a dispute ongoing with the conductors and the DFT are trying to grind everyone down, and the management are inept at doing their job properly does not mean that all of a sudden Southern drivers have rubbish TC's and C's in fact quite the opposite, I won't go into details as I'll be here all day but to cut a long story short it's a lot better than some of the TOC's out there.The reputation of Southern is in tatters because Govia and other people are running it into the ground, making promises that are impossible to keep.
There are some excellent people at Southern in fact some of the nicest people I've worked with drivers,platform,gate line etc... It's just a shame that everyone has decided that we are all to blame for this whole sorry mess that is going on.

pompeyfan

Established Member

Waterloo to Woking
Woking to Guildford
Waterloo to Dorking

Rules
Five Day Final
Route Learning
Fully Productive

Basic Rail
Driving Hours w/DI
Rules
Traction
Five Day Final
Full Productive

The new system is now in place, drivers are now starting to move trains in passenger service after 5 weeks, as apposed to the original 13 weeks, this has lead to some of them being called 'ball in the bag drivers' by a very small number of old school drivers. Intermittent assessment are being done on company issued iPads at home.

WA_Driver

The new system is now in place, drivers are now starting to move trains in passenger service after 5 weeks, as apposed to the original 13 weeks, this has lead to some of them being called 'ball in the bag drivers' by a very small number of old school drivers. Intermittent assessment are being done on company issued iPads at home.

Yes...I noticed. Had a trainee & DI take my train over the other day definitely see the difference straight away. The trainee certainly looked like "a rabbit in the headlights"

Shame really, our "old" training programme is going has it works brilliantly. Seems to be that all driver training by TOCs is to become the same national standard (like everything else on the railway) which is a good thing at times but can also be bad as well

Status
Not open for further replies.