• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR Station Assistant

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprinterMan

Established Member
After finally finishing Uni after 5 long years, and a month of hell working on a Holyhead to Dublin ferry I finally have my dream job! I am now a station assistant (customer service rep and train dispatcher) for Great Northern. Currently on a 6 month fixed-term contract but have been told that unless I do something really stupid I will be kept on permanently afterwards. I have been at it for 3 weeks now and I am loving the job. Does anyone have any advice for me for the future? I would love to build a career on the railway.

Adam :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FGW_DID

Established Member
After finally finishing Uni after 5 long years, and a month of hell working on a Holyhead to Dublin ferry I finally have my dream job! I am now a station assistant (customer service rep and train dispatcher) for Great Northern. Currently on a 6 month fixed-term contract but have been told that unless I do something really stupid I will be kept on permanently afterwards. I have been at it for 3 weeks now and I am loving the job. Does anyone have any advice for me for the future? I would love to build a career on the railway.

Don't do anything really stupid!!!

Stick to the rules, regs and procedures, someone's life and your freedom may depend on that!!

SprinterMan

Established Member
Don't do anything really stupid!!!

Stick to the rules, regs and procedures, someone's life and your freedom may depend on that!!

Yeah, they showed us the CCTV of that Merseyrail Guard in training, I found it hard to sleep that night tbh

Firestarter

What you study at uni?

Simon11

Established Member
I'm surprised you went for a station assistance role? Are you keen to work on the front line or just the railway in general?

Would you consider working in the head office, as there are plenty of roles in finance and commercial departments which will take advantage of your degree?

SprinterMan

Established Member
I'm surprised you went for a station assistance role? Are you keen to work on the front line or just the railway in general?

Would you consider working in the head office, as there are plenty of roles in finance and commercial departments which will take advantage of your degree?

Yeah, I just wanted to get into the industry to be honest, I prefer to be front line staff as it is more involving:) I did not enjoy my degree and am glad to see the back of it to be honest :)

Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.