• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR - Trainee Driver - Cricklewood & Hornsey (02/09/22)

Twotwo

I asked a question about how long the process takes to get an average estimate but instead you to chose to concentrate on me saying that I’m bame and female when you could have said nothing if you had nothing helpful to say but instead you chose to be argumentative and bitter. Cant see where I was entitled. I didn’t say they must fast track women. I was thinking women could potentially be progressed faster as I said before. I saw another comment on this forum that said ‘unless you identify as female you won’t get a look in’ an exaggerated comment but shows me women are wanted so why wouldn’t I think it could be progressed faster. Am I saying I agree with it? No.

I have nothing to be bitter about, I'm already in the role? I've told you before I'm female and bame too. But your comments ain't really helpful for women and for POC like us, it's the fact you was expecting special treatment which isn't really the case. Getting a job like this isn't progressive if we believe we deserve special treatment to be considered is basically my point.

Good luck with your application

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
Hi everyone, found out I passed the mini scaat today, wanted to know roughly how long it takes for the assessment centre n everything else to be done by? I’ve been offered a job that’s near a train driver salary in london but don’t start until January but I’d rather take the train driver job if I get it but wanted to know if it would all be done before start of December? (When I was going to resign from current role with GTR). I’m a BAME female.
You’re assuming you’d pass all the other tests and be offered a job at interview. I’d not rely on this job materialising at all to be honest, with so many applicants, it’s a big risk if you do. Take the other job and resign if you do get the Trainee Driver job? You can effectively leave without giving any notice after joust starting a job.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I think it was targeted at women, but open to anyone to apply.

It’s worrying that people now seem to openly expect preferential treatment in a recruitment process based on their characteristics, rather than their abilities. It isn’t “I’ve had X experience and I’m good at Y”, it’s now “I’m BAME and female, will that be an advantage?”.

I suppose the other side of that question is, should a white male expect a slower process?

At least one newspaper went with the story about GTR seeking to increase the number of female drivers, and it went only one way as you might imagine.

Accusations followed of positive discrimination, and completely missing the point that they've merely been trying to advertise the job to a wider audience and encourage females to apply, not imply that they're going to jump the queue or be given preferential treatment.

Everyone has to do the same tests initially, and follow the same process. You can either do it or you can't - but for whatever reason, it has perhaps been perceived by some as a male job.

Nobody will be let off failing one of the initial tests to tick a box. Nor will a 'white male' be disadvantaged after passing them. As I said, you can either do it or you can't.

choochoochoo

Established Member
You’re assuming you’d pass all the other tests and be offered a job at interview. I’d not rely on this job materialising at all to be honest, with so many applicants, it’s a big risk if you do. Take the other job and resign if you do get the Trainee Driver job? You can effectively leave without giving any notice after joust starting a job.
The problem is if the OP leaves GTR to take the job they’ve been offered their trainee driver application will be cancelled.

spellbound330

Hi. Does that mean the DLR is a bad place to work due to their profits going down? Is the job still secure?

Last edited:

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I think we've fixated on this one issue for long enough now.

If we could please keep the thread for meaningful updates or questions to the vacancy as outlined.

MatthewLdn

Just received a link to complete the mini scaat. If successful, does anyone know if GTR require you to resit passed assessments?

richiejenks

Thank you. Mini scaat is online with letters rather than dots etc. job is trainee train driver which has been a dream of mine for a long long time
Hi there, sorry to take you back a little but I’ve only done a mini scaat test paper form and not the online one. Will I be needing a mouse to crossed the letters off? Just want to make sure I’m ready and my equipment don’t let me down.

Thanks in advance

Newboysouth

Hi there, sorry to take you back a little but I’ve only done a mini scaat test paper form and not the online one. Will I be needing a mouse to crossed the letters off? Just want to make sure I’m ready and my equipment don’t let me down.

Thanks in advance
Hi

I used a mouse and found it a lot easier than scrolling through with the keys.

Hope this helps

Mabs

I'm an external candidate.
Applied for Cricklewood: 03/09/2022
SJT : 03/09/2022
Questionnaire: 13/09/2022
Mini Scaat test: 28/11/2022

Today is 02/12/2022 : Not heard anything back yet. I've passed all the assessments with GWR although most likely il have to do the DFFT assessment as GWR don't do them.

Waiting is very difficult.

Last edited:

Lilla

Hi everyone,

Am I right for thinking that Cricklewood is Thameslink and Hornsey is Great Northern or it doesn’t matter because they are all collectively GTR?

I have an interview coming up and I was wondering if anyone has any tips? Is it going to be the basic what do you know about the company and the competency based questions?

If they ask me where do their trains go, should I include every area that GTR covers or just go with the specific one of e.g.: Thameslink routes?

Any questions that might be a tricky one that I need to be aware of?

Are they going to be asking about your personality test results?

Thanks for any help

baz962

Established Member
Hi everyone,

Am I right for thinking that Cricklewood is Thameslink and Hornsey is Great Northern or it doesn’t matter because they are all collectively GTR?

I have an interview coming up and I was wondering if anyone has any tips? Is it going to be the basic what do you know about the company and the competency based questions?

If they ask me where do their trains go, should I include every area that GTR covers or just go with the specific one of e.g.: Thameslink routes?

Any questions that might be a tricky one that I need to be aware of?

Are they going to be asking about your personality test results?

Thanks for any help
It will usually be competency questions and why do you want to be a driver . Cricklewood is Thameslink, not sure for Hornsey. It will usually matter and you should know the routes for whichever you will be doing.

Lilla

It will usually be competency questions and why do you want to be a driver . Cricklewood is Thameslink, not sure for Hornsey. It will usually matter and you should know the routes for whichever you will be doing.
Thank you for the reply.

MatthewLdn

Just received the email that I’ve passed the mini scaat. Now waiting on next steps. I recently passed the CBI, if I was to sit and pass the MMI, would my CBI pass still be valid for the other toc I’ve applied for?

Mabs

I got the email I passed the Mini Scaat.

They'll now check the database for what assessments I need to do.

They can check all they like because I've passed everything with GWR last year including the MMI. Only thing i might need to do is the DFFT.

Il now start preparing for the DFFT.

I'm not over the moon, I'm over Mars Jupiter and Pluto if that still counts.

I think if you did the MMI and failed it, it will cancel out your CBI.

It's a big risk and that's why I'm thinkin about cancelling my Avanti application.

Last edited:

Koko07

Hi All

Good morning, i have been sent an invitation to do the mini scaat yesterday by opc

My question is ; does this include part of the two strikes driver assessment required ?

I have previously passed the driver assessment, I just want to be sure of what I am doing .

Any help will be much appreciated

Thanks

Mabs

Hi All

Good morning, i have been sent an invitation to do the mini scaat yesterday by opc

My question is ; does this include part of the two strikes driver assessment required ?

I have previously passed the driver assessment, I just want to be sure of what I am doing .

Any hp will be much appreciated

Thanks

NO
No it's not part of the two strike rules but it will be for any toc that does the mini scaat.

I confirmed with GTR before doing it myself and luckily I passed.

Koko07

No it's not part of the two strike rules but it will be for any toc that does the mini scaat.

I confirmed with GTR before doing it myself and luckily I passed.
Thanks so much for clearing that up

I plan to do mine by tomorrow

Sorry
Just a quick one , I can use my laptop to do it and won’t really need an actual mouse for it ?

Mabs

Sorry

Just a quick on

an use my laptop to do it and won’t really need an actual mouse for it ?

I used my puter and mouse and it was very eay. I practiced on paper for

I used my computer and mouse and it was very easy. I practiced on paper for two hours to get my concentration to required level before I did it on the computer.

I wouldn't use the laptop without a house as you could have a problem. What if you have problems and the time has started. You won't get a second chance. I can guarantee you that. There is no second chance in the railway (Usually).

Koko07

I used my computer and mouse and it was very easy. I practiced on paper for two hours to get my concentration to required level before I did it on the computer.

I wouldn't use the laptop without a house as you could have a problem. What if you have problems and the time has started. You won't get a second chance. I can guarantee you that. There is no second chance in the railway (Usually).
Thank you so much

I really appreciate

Will keep you posted how I get on

Koko07

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.
Got email this morning to say I passed the Mobin scaat and they will have a look to find out what assessment I will have to come to the centre to attend

I’m waiting on that email

Got email this morning to say I passed the Mobin scaat and they will have a look to find out what assessment I will have to come to the centre to attend

I’m waiting on that email
Mini scaat

Chippychips

Same here. Seems like a lot of people have been waiting for a form of update or invite to next stage.

Railway recruitment is slow. Lot of people in the same boat I guess.

Has anyone had an assessment invite or DMI or heard anything from the time they applied/passed the mini scaat?

Koko07

Same here. Seems like a lot of people have been waiting for a form of update or invite to next stage.

Railway recruitment is slow. Lot of people in the same boat I guess.

Has anyone had an assessment invite or DMI or heard anything from the time they applied/passed the mini scaat?
Personally I think will probably be sometime in the new year for assessment centre or such due to the holiday period etc

We just have to wait and hope it’s worth it all in the end

Amex88

My brother in law got an email to book his asessment date for january. He is over moon about it. Hopefully you guys should hear soon if you have not already! Good luck.

Lilla

I am officially in a talent pool for Cricklewood awaiting medical ! :) I wish everyone luck and hope to see them on the course.