• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR Trainee Train Driver Application Question Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucy1234

I am applying to the Trainee Train Driver programme through GTR. In the application there is a question, that myself and others I have asked, just cannot make any sense of. I was wondering if the wider rail community might be able to help?

The question is as follows:

Our customer service teams are often tasked with solving problems for customers, so having the skills to assess a situation and consider practical options for resolving issues is paramount in the role. As we operate 24/7, you may be asked to work an early or late shift. Can you advise on details of your journey and what you would do if you were unable to use public transport?

It seems that there are three sentences that don't connect, meaning I am finding it impossible to get the right direction of which to answer.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

slidingdoors

See what you’re saying. However the only actual question in there is how will you get to work if you can’t take public transport. So you just have to answer ‘by car’ or such like, and outline your route to work. I guess they see getting to work as the ‘issue’, and how you get there as the ‘solution’!

baz962

Established Member
I am applying to the Trainee Train Driver programme through GTR. In the application there is a question, that myself and others I have asked, just cannot make any sense of. I was wondering if the wider rail community might be able to help?

Our customer service teams are often tasked with solving problems for customers, so having the skills to assess a situation and consider practical options for resolving issues is paramount in the role. As we operate 24/7, you may be asked to work an early or late shift. Can you advise on details of your journey and what you would do if you were unable to use public transport?

It seems that there are three sentences that don't connect, meaning I am finding it impossible to get the right direction of which to answer.
I would have thought that it's asking how you can get to work with no public transport available. Eg , do you have a car or bike etc.

Lucy1234

Hi baz962 and slidingdoors,

What both of you are saying is the only logical direction we could think of too. However, what puzzles me is that this question has a 2500 character limit and is amongst questions that are situational task based questions. Leading me to believe they are expecting a long and succinct answer.

I read the question different, not that I am saying I am right
Can you advise on details of your journey- this i read as details of your standard journey

and what you would do if you were unable to use public transport? This i read as public transport is unavailable due to an early or late start.

this is of course just how I read it

baz962

Established Member
That I can't answer to . I would probably say to don't overthink it though .

Ta89

Hi baz962 and slidingdoors,

What both of you are saying is the only logical direction we could think of too. However, what puzzles me is that this question has a 2500 character limit and is amongst questions that are situational task based questions. Leading me to believe they are

Literally does not make sense at all it’s ridiculous. I’ve split it in three parts.
Solving customer problems
Skills to access a situation & practical options for resolving it.
show how flexible you are & how you plan to get to work etc.

baz962

Established Member

Literally does not make sense at all it’s ridiculous. I’ve split it in three parts.
Solving customer problems
Skills to access a situation & practical options for resolving it.
show how flexible you are & how you plan to get to work etc.
Or are they saying that our staff solve problems . so how as a staff member , would you apply those skills to solving the journey to work. How would you resolve the situation .

slidingdoors

You can only answer the question though.. And that’s how will you get to work? It might be in that section in error or padded out to try and trick you. IMO if you read too much into it and come up with a convoluted answer as equally confusing as the question it won’t look good.

Joliver

All that is asking, is how you'd get to work without using public transport.

iwasyoungonce

If your struggling to find an answer to that question you may be applying for the wrong job or indeed industry.

Class2ldn

Its not difficult really, there's 1 question in there and as others have said it is how would you get to work, I dont see the issue?

DonkeyKong

How will you get to work and what's your back up plan if public transport is unavailable.

Dont overthink it and keep it simple. That's something you'll be told alot during your Driver training.

How will you get to work and what's your back up plan if public transport is unavailable.

Dont overthink it and keep it simple. That's something you'll be told alot during your Driver training.
Thats what I was trying to get accross with my answer

Applepie356

That question could have easily have been a ‘tick box’ style question. That’s probably why it’s confusing a few people, are the recruiters looking for a long complicated answer to this?

SRH

Its not difficult really, there's 1 question in there and as others have said it is how would you get to work, I dont see the issue?
Always 1 A**hole per thread...

Nothing wrong with the clarity being sought from what i can see

Lets hope you get everything right and get the job since you seem to know everything...

If people dont have positive or meaningful inputs i think its better to say nothing..

TheGoldfish

I’d say It’s there to assess your Non Technical skills...

This is where you can stand out from other applicants...so yep ... make sure you take the time to answer it meaningfully!

Lucy1234

Thank you everyone for your words of advice, I think keeping it simple is the way forward and the general consensus.

crebbs1

The way I see it, the first part is just setting the scene for the question.
First part is saying they want someone who can solve a problem, assess situations and come up with answers.

Now the question poses the problem of getting to work on time when they run 24/7, Do you have the skills to assess the best way to do this?

are you going to rely on public transport? What will you do if that service is unreliable etc etc.

100% only one question here in my opinion, good luck.

Class2ldn

Always 1 A**hole per thread...

Nothing wrong with the clarity being sought from what i can see

Lets hope you get everything right and get the job since you seem to know everything...

If people dont have positive or meaningful inputs i think its better to say nothing..
I dont need to get the job, im already a driver with them.
Its not being about being an a hole but one part of it is a statement, the other a question.
I dont understand whats confusing, I appreciate the op trying to get clarity but I dont think its needed here.

TheGoldfish

I said “I drive and can reach the depot within 45m”
I’d be surprised if you get a call back if you’ve answered with just that .... look at the advice on this thread ... there’s more to that question than “have you got a car?” If it’s not too late you should have a rethink and answer it properly....

Marx

I took the question to mean how will you get to work in the event that public transport is not available
I answered it with the fact that I have worked 24/7 shifts and commuted in and out of London for all of my working life and that I have a car a 4x4 in the event of adverse weather to be able to get into work and also have a motorbike which gives me flexibility through congestion and parking and as such in all my working life I have never had to rely on public transport and always made it to work on time

375_

The way I've interpreted it is with the first sentence setting the scene for all three of the questions on this page:
Our customer service teams are often tasked with solving problems for customers, so having the skills to assess a situation and consider practical options for resolving issues is paramount in the role.

I have then answered each question accordingly, including giving a comparatively brief answer to the first one since it is only asking something quite simple.

Aftv49

I have previously applied to other positions at GTR and have been asked the same exact question during the application stage and have been successful past the paper sift.

I opted to take a direct approach to answering the question as they aren’t looking for you to provide an in-depth answer to the question. Simply put, I just mentioned that I have a full and clean drivers license, that I have access to and own a vehicle, and that I come in for shift work without reliance on public transport.

Hope this helps!

djack123son

I’d be surprised if you get a call back if you’ve answered with just that .... look at the advice on this thread ... there’s more to that question than “have you got a car?” If it’s not too late you should have a rethink and answer it properly....
I honestly hope you didn't actually say that?
The question is exactly the same as other TOCs asking if you live within 60m of the depot., it's "can you get here everyday, the trains might be cancelled".. "yes I can, I live within 45m. I drive a car" < ergo, I don't rely on public transport.. should I have mentioned that I'll take J17 on the M3, turning left on hazelwood crescent?

P.S. I have previously driven for SWR, so I have passed all this before, albeit a different TOC :)

joshuan542

The question is exactly the same as other TOCs asking if you live within 60m of the depot., it's "can you get here everyday, the trains might be cancelled".. "yes I can, I live within 45m. I drive a car" < ergo, I don't rely on public transport.. should I have mentioned that I'll take J17 on the M3, turning left on hazelwood crescent?

P.S. I have previously driven for SWR, so I have passed all this before, albeit a different TOC :)
I work for this TOC and have previously also passed, I can also assure you there’s more to this question than simply I have a car and live close, they already know that through your address search that happens (which I have had to deal with before)

Status
Not open for further replies.