• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Guard checking tickets without ticket machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boiledbeans2

A month ago, I was on a Voyager XC service, with the guard (or OBS?) walking through the train checking tickets. I overheard a converstation where a passenger wanted to buy an additional ticket from the guard for a future journey. The guard replied that he didn't have his ticket machine with him so couldn't sell him the ticket.

I thought that was strange. If the guard had encountered someone without a ticket on the train, what would the guard have done? I think he was only carrying something which looked like a mobile phone scanning e-tickets. On my carriage, it seemed everyone had tickets, so I didn't get to see/hear what the guard would have done.

I also encountered 2 similar instances on SWR recently. Normally, SWR guards have a very obvious blue ticket machine hanging around their waist. In both instances, the guards who checked my ticket didn't have the blue machine - they were only holding the mobile phone, scanning e-tickets. What would they have done if someone didn't have tickets?

(Note, only the XC guard said he didn't have his ticket machine. The SWR guards didn't say such a thing - it was purely my observation. Unless they've moved to newer and smaller ticket machines which are not so obvious)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Scans are of value even without sales as they flag that a ticket was used and prevent it being refunded.

XC staff are guards by the way, OBS is a GTR (Southern or GatEx brand) thing.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The Guard could've taken the names and addresses of anyone without a ticket so that an Unpaid Fare Notice could be issued, or the details sent to the Prosecutions Department for relevent follow-up.

Joshua_Harman

I saw one lady on a southern train checking tickets within London people showing her oyster and contactless cards and she wasn’t validating them, so holding a paper ticket I decided to show her a contactless card she asked if I tapped in and I said yes and she nodded and walked off, idk what the purpose of that exercise was but she was checking everyone and checking railcards and everything for those with paper and e tickets.

CheapAndNerdy

A few weeks back I was on a Merseyrail service to Southport with a Saveaway ticket. When I was checked I presented my Metrocard - "nice one" :D

Alex365Dash

I’d say roughly half the time I travel on the GTR network on The Key and get a ticket inspection, my smartcard isn’t actually checked for a valid ticket but just accepted on presentation.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
A few weeks back I was on a Merseyrail service to Southport with a Saveaway ticket. When I was checked I presented my Metrocard - "nice one" :D

You'll see a lot more of that on Merseyrail with the coming of the 777s. Checking tickets is part of the job then, but nothing says it has to be done thoroughly :)

sheff1

Established Member
Seen this many times. I think I saw a post which said the guards on at least one TOC get a few pence for every e ticket they scan. If so, would be worthwhile to them even if they did not have a working ticket machine.

Joshua_Harman

I’d say roughly half the time I travel on the GTR network on The Key and get a ticket inspection, my smartcard isn’t actually checked for a valid ticket but just accepted on presentation.
TFL And GTR (Thameslink Revenue Protection, And Southern Gaurds) Are the only people that I’ve had actually validate the card, everyone else is the same. Even at gate lines if it doesn’t work they look at it and let me in/ out no questions asked!!

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
XC staff are guards by the way, OBS is a GTR (Southern or GatEx brand) thing.
Do XC still have any Travelling Ticket Inspectors? I think I encountered one on a morning peak train out of Reading around 7-8 years ago, but he was clearly close to if not past retirement age then. I think I surmised that he was a ticket inspector as he was obviously not the guard but clearly very knowledgeable about tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.