• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Guard 'ignored red light and refused to let passengers off'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolive22

I think RMT is objecting because of pay and jobs. Otherwise they would be demanding that all trains, even those with guards, had CSR. If they are willing to strike over the safety implication of this, they would have gone out when the govenment refused to buy ATP and stayed out until they got ATP on every train and every signal.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I don't see any advantage (except the highly unlikely protection by detonators) of a guard over a ticket collector who can evacuate and can report the position and situation if the driver is incapacitated*. What is the difference between a guard and a ticket collector who can do the above?

*whether because he is dead, badly injured in a cab where the radio is out from where it could take them minutes to reach a radio, or simply trapped.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CarterUSM

Established Member
This is the same RAIB, not to mention RSSB who consider that giving office staff 5 days training on the guards role will qualify them to do my job whilst i'm on strike. In 1994 there was a fatal derailment on the wemyss bay branch around the branchton area, vandals had placed concrete blocks on the line whereupon the train derailed and hit a bridge, the driver was killed and the cab destroyed, the ticket examiner, through no fault of his own lacked the training and equipment to know what to do, unfortunately some delay was incurred in the emergency services reaching the scene.... Newton rail crash, head on collision between a DOO service and a guarded one, both drivers killed, both cabs destroyed, guard carried his duties out to the letter by safely evacuating the passengers and safeguarded the trains and adjacent track. What is imperative, is that there is always a fully trained person with the route knowledge and safety training availiable if the worst happens.

Metroland

Established Member
I can also give many examples where DOO has prevented accidents - two of which I have been involved in myself.

Stay out until ATP and CSR had been installed at every signal? Apart from it would need almost complete resignalling of the entire network, and would cost billions for slightly more benefit than TWPS, it would take 30 years to do? So if they fancy staying out for that period, considering the money would come from the public purse and take money away from more needy applications, go for it. But I rather fancy there would be no jobs to come back to.

It's firmly in my mind it is about jobs and salaries, it's the most militant in the country. They won't listen to any evidence and have publicly stated so, and prefer bully boy tactics. Bob Crow says

""A lot of these companies don't take you seriously until you have a ballot and it concentrates their minds,"

I'd like to give a lot more evidence on this whole issue, but I really can't on a public forum how accidents are dealt with and what happens.

They had over 100 strike ballots last year at all, quite honestly, most of it is for greedy, grasping workers after more pay, the same as the bosses. There was a time staff were very underpaid, but that isn't the case now, and Bob Crow fully admits

"We've used the break up of the industry to leapfrog other people. We go to the most sympathetic company and then to the others saying, 'If it's good enough for them, what about you?'"

I'm fed up of supporting the railways, with this lot steaming in to take everything going. I spend hours and hours on this forum, trying to help people cut through the myths and lazy thinking for no reason more than enthusiast reasons - because I want to see a decent network, no other reason. You really do feel at times you are banging your head against the wall with idiot unions, bosses, the pathetic and stupid media.

Last edited:

Dolive22

I was agreeing with you. My point was that if they were prepared to strike over the safety effects of removing guards, which are small, they would have come out to make the government commit to ATP, which is probably more of a safety issue than guards on some lines. They aren't striking because of the minimal H&S effect, they are doing it because they want to keep guards on the payroll.

CarterUSM

Established Member
Oh right, it's just to keep us all in a job, sorry, I will happily step aside and we can man trains on the cheap instead. Collisions and indeed accidents are rare but just because we haven't had one in a while doesn't mean we can just do away with a safety system, and what about it if the RMT are protecting jobs, that is part of their remit is it not. They are not against implementing safety systems, indeed they encourage it. The point about not going on strike for ATP has me banging my head against the wall. The unions would be laughed out of existence for proposing a multi-billion cost project like that. What you want is value for money, and guards don't meet that specification apparantley. I'm just waiting for the suggestion that we give ticket collectors some of the guards duties to compensate. That is about cost, and I have no problems stating it. The RAIB are not as independent as they could be, I believe it shows they have a vested interest in lowering costs at the expense of safety, however small you perceive it. I believe south-eastern, who work over a mixture of signal block systems commissioned a report into DOO operation of their 395 by Halcrow, sorry I cannot post a link as i'm on the mobile, this report conveniently concluded that it was safe to work DOO over all block systems. I think if you pay enough money, you will get the answer you are looking for. Call me a cynic. :)

Last edited:

O L Leigh

Established Member
Um, hello...? Three pages further on and my request for clarification remains unanswered while the source material from which it comes is still being touted as "authoritative".

I would just like to take this opportunity to add some factual information into the mix. FScR TE's are not trained in any safety requirements. They are not passed competent for PTS and cannot leave the train except in the event of a full train evac. Indeed, their entire role in the event of an emergency is to inform the guard (or driver on a DOO service) when it is safe to do so. Quite what happens in the event they are incapacitated I couldn't say. So all FScR are providing are RPI's on all services.

O L Leigh

Dolive22

CarterUSM, I think the RMT are objecting to protect their members terms, which is after all what they are there for, and to protect the concept of guards on as many trains as possible, and they are overstating the safety implications. I also think there are safety benefits to guards, just not as great as the RMT claim. My preference would be for guards on all trains, but unfortunately that is not possible. It is quite shabby to get rid of guards and then replace them with people who do the job for less money, but in some cases it might be inevitable.

CarterUSM

Established Member
Thanks O L Leigh, I thought i'd already mentioned their actual role, I did mean to at any rate. :) Greeny is correct in what he states also, the railways are regulated, costs are more or less fixed for the TOC's, so when they see profit margins falling, there is not much that can be done apart from cut costs elsewhere, and Dolive it is not acceptable to lower safety by even a little to justify savings in my opinion. I don't agree with the RMT saying DOO unsafe when it clearly is, but as O L Leigh mentioned earlier safe, safer, safest.
And as I said earlier, First are saying in public that this dispute about who opens and shuts the doors. This statement, to me, shows where First's priorities lie with regards to safety.

Dolive22

I would prefer that we didn't compromise safety for money, and if it was up to me we wouldn't, but it isn't. If it is true that only £300,000 a year is at stake they may well have made the wrong decision. However the RMT does tend to cry wolf so it is hard to tell then something is a real safety issue and when it isn't.
What exactly is proposed by Scotrail? I tried to find out what was being proposed, but the RMT site wasn't exactly clear and to the point, the Scotrail site didn't seem very keen to tell me about it.

CarterUSM

Established Member
I agree wholeheartedly Dolive, there is a lot of smoke and mirrors stuff going on around this dispute, it's probably fair to say, both parties have been less than honest or downright ridiculous and disrespectful. All I want to make clear is the truth, yes, I have a vested interest, but I really am trying to be as impartial as I can be. The railways can be justifiably very proud of it's overall safety record over nearly two hundred odd years, and that is what we should aim for, a safe, reliable, extensive, well patronised network for all.
What is being proposed Dolive is that when the airdrie and bathgate sections of the new line are joined, the existing diesel operated service from bathgate-edinburgh will cease, and rightly so as it will be electric instead, instead we will have a new through route (a fourth one actually, and reinstated I might add) from Glasgow to Edinburgh, with electric trains on it. Currently, DOO is in operation on the helensburgh-glasgow queen st-drumgelloch route whereas it is guard operation on the bathgate-edinburgh section. Therefore the company want it DOO throughout for cost purposes. The main arguement is that the company is breaking an agreement of no extension to DOO. Which the RMT oppose as they hold the opinion a guard operated train is safer overall. Don't hesitate to ask any questions incidently.

Metroland

Established Member
I have no vested interests: Zero, Zilch, none, I remain entirely impartial. If anyone wants to pose a question, or ask about specific instances I will answer them to the best of my knowledge. I have been involved in accidents directly and indirectly, and the last thing I want to do is give a dishonest answer about this matter. If I really, seriously thought it significantly undermined safety, I would not take the line I am.

To answer OL Leigh's questions:

'Firstly, I agree that a DOO service poses a lesser risk in the event of a derailment, but only with the following caveats. 1) The derailment doesn't occur in a CSR blackspot, and 2) that the front of the train does not hit an obstruction like a bridge or OLE stanchion thereby squashing the driver flat. In this instance a DOO service poses a greater risk.

To my knowledge CSR blackspots are quite rare, an accident in such a spot would be unlucky

If a driver approaches an obstruction or derailed, he would very likely hit 'Emergency on the DOO radio' anyway. Even so, if the train derailed its highly likely that staff and passengers, and people on the line side, would make emergency calls. I've witnessed this happen, and emergency services rang us, not the other way about. This was within 3 minutes, which is a damn site quicker than guards running up the line and scrambling through wreckage looking for dets, flags and clips. Passengers have also been known to use lineside phones - they aren't daft.

However, I am not sure what these "uncertainties" are that the RSSB claim make the difference between DOO and full-manning insignificant.

Uncertainties in data, with some TOCs DOO is statically slightly safer, with others it's not. It also depends how the data is normalised.

But what really strikes me as odd is the inference that TPWS is more effective on DOO services than fully-manned services. This I really do not understand. All services have TPWS, so why should it be more effective on one type of service than another?

To be frank, I'm still thinking on that. I'll see if I can find the full report to understand what they mean by this better.

Turning to the PTS course, frankly everyone should have one anyway. You can learn it in an hour or two. I guess it's just the way it works, even simple skills like that, attract extra pay agreed through the union/management machinery. But of course, in an emergency, it doesn't stop anyone going on the lineside anyway, to prevent loss of life.

There has been several reports on DOO, and there is ongoing risk assessments. I'm not entirely sure who you would rather do the report other than the HMRI or RSSB, or RAIB. If it was a bunch of consultants, the RMT would say they came to the conclusions ATOC wanted. As far as I can see, there will always be accusations they are not independent. Having said that, people put their names to these things, and if something did go wrong they would have their professional independence put under scrutiny. If they were found to be manipulating data there would be serious consequences.

The RMT oppose as they hold the opinion a guard operated train is safer overall. Don't hesitate to ask any questions incidently.

Dear Colleagues

ROLLING STOCK ISSUES, ROLE & RESPONSIBILITY OF THE GUARD – SCOTRAIL

NO EXTENSION OF DOO ON THE AIRDRIE TO BATHGATE LINE

THE TRUTH

Q: Why are the Guards, Drivers and Sleeper Train Managers on Scotrail being balloted for strike action?

A: Because First Scotrail and the Scottish Government are hell bent on extending DOO onto the new line between Edinburgh and Glasgow via Airdrie and Bathgate. This is in breach of the RMT’s agreement with First Scotrail which states that they will not extend DOO and that the Guards will continue to have control over the power operated doors.

Q: But First Scotrail say that they are not bound by any such agreement because they did not own the franchise when it was signed in 2001?

A: Our position is that the 2001 agreement was TUPEd over from National Express to First Group because it was a key agreement protecting the jobs and operational safety role of the Guard. In all other TUPEs involving the TOCs the 2001 Guards Agreement has been TUPEd across to the new franchise holder. This is what happened on Scotrail. Until now First Scotrail have NEVER cancelled that agreement with this union nor entered any discussion to do so.

Q: But RMT didn’t object to the conversion of the Larkhall branch line to DOO four years ago?

A: The Larkhall branch line is a part of the railway covered by the Strathclyde Manning Agreement (SMA). The Airdrie to Bathgate link is outside the boundaries of SMA and is therefore precisely an extension of DOO in breach of the 2001 agreement. The SMA was imposed on our Union in the 1980s following an unsuccessful national ballot of all RMT Guards. Since then every single Guard’s ballot conducted by this union has been overwhelmingly carried.

Q: But haven’t the Hitachi 395 “Javelins” come into service with DOO on the High Speed link to the Channel Tunnel?

A: Yes, some Javelins have started a trial running with DOO, but not yet on all planned routes. The RMT has balloted all our Guard members on Southeastern Trains twice against the extension of DOO on the SET network and they have returned an overwhelming YES vote. The employers ran to the High Court using the undemocratic and repressive anti trade union laws. Once again the High Court judge upheld the employers
“reasonable argument” and declared the RMT ballot null and void. We have NEVER AGREED to DOO on the Channel Tunnel rail link and remain in dispute with Southeastern over this issue.

Q: But surely we all know that money for public service is very tight at the moment and is only going to get tighter whichever party wins the next General Election. Isn’t First Scotrail entitled to make whatever cuts and savings in order to get “the best value” for money for the taxpayer?

A: First Group is already massively subsidised by the UK taxpayer for “running” its franchises to the tune of £140 million last year. First Scotrail receives subsidies amounting to 75% of the cost of operating the railways in Scotland. Yet the salary of the highest paid director was £429,274 last year compared to the £300,000 additional cost of employing 32 new Guards on the Airdrie and Bathgate service. Last year First Scotrail made profits of £18.444 million with a massive £18 million dividend going straight back to the First Group shareholders. Wouldn’t you agree that paying obscene amounts to Directors and £18 million back to shareholders in a business which is 75% subsidised by the taxpayer is hardly “best value” for the tax payer?

The RMT want a further 32 Guards on the new Airdrie – Bathgate route. £300K is a small price to pay for the massive safety dividend that a fully operationally trained Guard provides. All other new rail projects that are planned in Scotland are being upgraded by electrification and the introduction of new rolling stock AT THE TAXPAYERS EXPENSE. First Group will not be paying for any of this. It will be Transport Scotland and the Scottish Government that’ll be forking out the money (Guards are taxpayers too!) while First Group has its snouts in the trough and pockets all the so called profits from successive subsidies to the tune of 75%. Is it any wonder that RMT campaigns for renationalisation of the railways to get these bloodsuckers out of the industry?

Q: But the Scottish Government has cancelled the Glasgow Airport Rail link (GARL) due to costs and the current economic situation.

A: Almost a year ago Scotrail management threatened this Union that any action over DOO on Airdrie to Bathgate line would cause the cancellation of several future projects, including the GARL. But well before this union moved to ballot its members Scottish Finance Minister John Swinney had cancelled GARL as part of public sector spending cuts caused by the economic meltdown, caused by the bankers. Many rail construction projects may well be cancelled or postponed over the next few years but that won’t be the fault of the RMT protecting the safety role of Guards in Scotland. What we say with absolute certainty is that unless we keep Guards on the Bathgate to Airdrie line management will make every single line in Scotland DOO by either electrification, the introduction of new DOO rolling stock or both.

Q: First Scotrail say that Transport Scotland has told them that DOO would be more efficient and that the extra costs of the Guard are NOT irrelevant as the unions have claimed.

A: RMT is quoting what Stewart Stephenson, the Scottish Transport Minister told the union’s delegation when we met him on the 5th January 2010. The Minister made it crystal clear that he agreed with the union’s figures - £300,000 being the annual cost difference between the cost of keeping the Guard on board rather than a Ticket Examiner and a one off £1.4 million conversion cost for the 334 rolling stock. He then went on to say that he also agreed with the union that in the context of the £300 million overall cost of the Airdrie to Bathgate project the cost of retaining the Guard was “irrelevant.”

Q: But management’s bulletin says that Transport Scotland say it isn’t “irrevelant”?

A: Transport Scotland is a quango run by highly paid unelected civil servants. Stewart Stephenson is the democratically elected Transport Minister for Scotland. We are very angry as a democratic union that the management of a global multi-national First Group would seem to be conspiring with unelected civil servants to undermine the clear and unequivocal views of the elected Transport Minister.

Q: But won’t it be safe because of always having a T/E on board (the second person)?

A: First Group has been caught red handed by this whole issue. The Minister told us that he believed that every service in the Strathclyde area had a T/E on board as the second person. We told him that many services ran without a T/E at all or only for part of a turn. He said he wanted to know more because First Group was supposed to pay a fine to Transport Scotland when there was no second person on board. Since then we have written to the Minister indicating that in just one of the seven T/E depots 400 services in a 14 day period were uncovered or only partially covered. We also told him that the T/Es were not trained in any route knowledge, any evacuation or safety procedures and were not even issued HI-VI vests by Scotrail’s owners. First Group are daily in breach of their franchise agreement in not having a T/E on every DOO train in the Strathclyde area. First Group’s Steve Montgomery told your union on 2nd November 2009 that if the T/E didn’t turn up for DOO service on the Airdrie to Bathgate then the train would run without a T/E on board. RMT is processing hundreds of attendance sheets from several more T/E depots in the Strathclyde area and will be presenting a detailed safety dossier to the Minister as he has requested us to do. We have just been informed that Scotrail have launched a recruitment drive for T/Es on the Strathclyde area.

Q: Wouldn’t DOO be safe anyway? First Group claim that services have been run safely for over 25 years in the Strathclyde area?

A: RMT would like to draw attention to at least 3 major incidents that have occurred during that time.

Accidents do happen.

* 1990 - Derailment at Finnieston West Junction
* 1991 - Fatal collision at Newton Junction
* 1994 - Fatal derailment / obstruction on line at Branchton

In the first incident the Guard performed his duties to the book preventing a much worse situation developing by applying his emergency brake. In the second incident one train in DOO operation was in a head on collision with another which was guarded. Both Drivers were killed – once again the Guard did his job to the letter and safely evacuated the passengers and safeguarded the trains and adjacent track. In the third – known as Wemyss Bay – the train hit concrete lids laid on the track and derailed. The Driver and a passenger were killed. The T/E through no fault of his own lacked the training and equipment to know what to do and some delay was incurred in the emergency serviced reaching the scene. Our point is that accidents can and will happen.

What is always necessary is that there is a fully trained person with route knowledge and the safety training afforded to a Guard to ensure that in the event of such incidents, injuries, deaths and destruction is minimised and perhaps avoided all together. That’s the safety role of the Guard. That’s why this union’s view is safety first at all times and not the modern cult of Risk Assessment that introduces the notion of dicing with death for the sake of PROFIT.

Q: But the Transport Minister says that he’s going to consult independent outside bodies to ascertain whether it’s safe or not to remove the Guard.

A: Yes, he said he’d be consulting regulatory bodies such as the Rail Safety Standards Board (RSSB) and the Rail Accident and Incidents Board (RAIB). We immediately replied that we had no faith in these so-called independent bodies, especially the RSSB.

Q: But they are independent aren’t they?

A: The RSSB’s certainly not independent. It is a limited company all of whose running costs are paid by the Association of Train Operating Companies (ATOC) and Network Rail. It is a classic case of who pays the piper calls the tune. Ever since the 2001 agreements were signed by all the TOCs, ATOC have been working to undo that agreement and one of the main ways they have plotted to do so is by taking over control of the RSSB.

A little bit of history might explain.

The 2001 agreement with the TOCs had 15 clauses. The first two are well known. They are:

1. No extension of DOO for the life of the franchise.

2. Guard control over the power operation of doors.

It was agreed that the other 13 safety issues would be referred to the RSSB. Over a year later the RSSB had still not given its verdict on whether these clauses should be put back into the Rule Book.

Your union decided that it had to deal with the situation industrially. Under the anti-trade union laws, it isn’t possible to ballot for strike action against the decisions of a body like RSSB. We can only take strike action against the employer. Legal advice was that we could however ballot the individual employing companies to force them to approach RSSB together with the RMT to persuade them to put the Guards’ safety role back into the Rule Book. At that time, GNER and, yes, First Group (for all their TOCs) agreed to sponsor the approach to RSSB. But this meant that we could no longer be in dispute with these companies and their TOCs. Rather than proceed with a dispute involving only half of our Guards membership, we decided to wait for the RSSB’s decision. RSSB came back in June 2003 with an absolute rejection of all the points. They based this view on the Risk Assessment approach.

Then, in 2007, RSSB deleted the Railway Group Standard covering the role of the guard and devolved the decision by any TOC to introduce DOO to the TOC itself.

Q: With no conditions?

A: Yes, as long as they did their own Risk Assessment.

Q: Are there any independent Risk Assessors in the railway industry at all?

A: No, only ones that give the answers that they’re paid for. For instance, Halcrow did a Risk Assessment for Southeastern Trains saying that the Hitachi Javelins (395s) could operate in DOO on any form of signalling on Southeastern Trains. They have all possible types – block signalling, track circuit signalling and moving block signalling on the High Speed Link. Therefore, in one “Risk Assessment”, Halcrow gave a green light to any DOO stock throughout the whole railway network. Our experts looked at it and it was a shoddy, inaccurate piece of work. But it fitted the bill for the TOCs.

Q: So why did you accept the Transport Minister’s decision to go to the RSSB and RAIB?

A: We did not accept it. We told the Minister that we have no confidence whatsoever in the RSSB or the RAIB and most importantly in any Risk Assessment method whatsoever.

Q: What do you mean?

A: The very name Risk Assessment is in direct opposition to the RMT position of safety first. It’s like saying that because there hasn’t been a fatal disaster for, say, 10 years on a certain franchise, that we can now decide to do away with the operational safety role of the guard.

It’s as if you said I haven’t had a house fire or a burglary for 20 years so I’ll not bother with my buildings insurance or contents insurance any longer: not a very wise decision.

And to quote Stuart Stephenson, Scottish Transport Minister once again “There’s nothing harder to get than insurance when you need it!”

Q: Management have said that the Guards ‘course’ they are giving their strike-breaking force is safe?

A: That’s an insult to every single Guard on the rail network. On Scotrail, a new Guard does a four-week course before commencing extensive route learning. The strike-breakers ‘course’ is just one week for “training” and “route learning”. The ‘course’ in the school is being done with the answers provided. Route learning is being done by sending them out with the exam papers alongside copies of the right answers.

Q: What’s the Union doing about it?

A: First, we are fully aware that many Supervisors, Managers and Trainers are being forced to do these “courses” with threats of losing their jobs if they don’t.

We wrote to Steve Montgomery telling him to cease and desist and to confirm this in writing by noon on Thursday 20th January 2010. He has failed to reply. The matter will be placed in front of the GGC. Both RMT and TSSA have written to their members concerned telling them to decline to do the course if they can and to report all bullying and harassment to the RMT’s Scottish office or Head Office immediately.

Any victimisation of any member on Scotrail leading to them losing their job will lead to a ballot of all RMT Scotrail members for their reinstatement.

Q: But management say the strike-breaker’s course has been safety validated?

A: They would say that wouldn’t they? But they have not said by whom. Perhaps it is the HMRI, which would be no surprise as their role in all disputes is a disgrace. They simply rubber stamp whatever management wants during a dispute. The HMRI is now part of the Office of Rail Regulator (ORR) which is based within the Department of Transport, which of course doles out the franchise in the first place.

Q: As you have mentioned civil servants, can I ask what the union makes of the letter or letters between Transport Scotland and First Group quoted in management’s propaganda leaflet no.3?

A: Good question. The union has never seen them. What we can say is that they completely contradict what your union was told at its meeting with the Scottish Transport Minister. There are two possibilities.

First, the Minister was soft soaping us or maybe simply lying OR the Minister is simply not in control of his civil servants. It’s probably a little bit of each. In any event, it should not surprise us that the elected representatives and the civil servants are nowadays no longer there to serve the public but to serve the major multi-national corporations like First Group.

Head of First Group, Muir Lockhead, is a major donor to the SNP and no-one should forget that Transport Scotland and the SNP government gave First Group a two year extension on their franchise without even any bidding process.

Q: Why will any strike action cost the Scottish taxpayer millions, as management are spinning to the media?

A: Because we have totally demolished their economic arguments, First Group are still trying every which way to convince the Scottish public that it will be their tax money and theirs alone that will be at stake.

The fact is that there is a clause in EVERY SINGLE franchise agreement indemnifying the franchises for all revenue losses and fines in the event of strike action. It means that the privatised rail managements have absolutely no economic reason to sit down and come to agreements with the unions.

RMT and its group of MPs at Westminster have campaigned long and hard against this scandal.

Remember DOO on the Airdrie to Bathgate line will only be the thin end of a wedge for DOO to come in throughout Scotland. Vote YES in the ballot, return your ballot papers now and at the latest, for the 9th February 2010.

Last edited:

Metroland

Established Member
Some of it is hyperbole and pure exaggeration, other parts are not. It's all written in Daily Mail conspiratorial language to wind the membership up and it doesn't mean its right, but I'm happy to comment on the bits I think are wrong if anyone comments on them. I don't personally care if they put DOO in throughout Scotland or not - although that's an exaggeration, lots of lines would need extensive resignalling first and no way would they wash their face. What annoys me is the downright pandering to the lowest common denominator and exaggerating things out of all proportion, it doesn't actually do anyone any favours.

A spokesman for ScotRail branded the vote for strikes as ‘disappointing’, adding: “The services will be no different from those which have run in Scotland for more than 25 years – and will create 130 new jobs and offer major benefits to passengers. No one is losing their job and current terms and conditions are guaranteed. But the scheduled reopening of the £300 million link is now put at risk by a union campaign which boils down to who opens and shuts doors on trains.”

http://www.railnews.co.uk/news/general/2010/02/09-three-strikes-announced-on-scotrail.html

The ASLEF Executive has voted to accept ScotRail's plans for the Airdrie-Bathgate line, also pointing out that although ten conductors' jobs will be shed, 32 new drivers and 32 new ticket examiners will be needed, with a net gain of 54 jobs.

But the RMT has steadfastly opposed any extension of the driver/ticket examiner system, because it wants trains to retain conductor guards who control the doors. The result of a strike ballot of more than 550 RMT staff at ScotRail should be known later today.

There has been no comment on the disagreement from either union, but ScotRail said savings in employing ticket examiners rather than conductors would benefit the Scottish Government, which would pay a lower subsidy but therefore have more funds to invest in other rail services and projects.

http://www.railnews.co.uk/news/general/2010/02/09-unions-clash-over-doo-proposal.html

MCR247

Established Member
Sorry this may have been answered ealier but even on a Driver & Guard operation doesn't the driver actually release the doors and the then the guard shuts them?

Seems to be the case on Southern.

If the above is true for SWT then how would the guard not let passengers off?

On 377s the doors are opened by GPS, hence the delay at places like Victoria

Just to point out that the Airdrie to Edinburgh route will be commissioned with GSM-R and GSM-R introduces a new safety feature whereby a driver can initiate an Emergency Group Call which will instruct all other trains (fitted with GSM-R) in a predefined area to stop as well as alerting the controlling signaller(s) and NR control.

All of ScotRails EMU fleet is now fitted with GSM-R

Dolive22

The 1994 accident they mentioned was the Greenock accident where two people died. The front of the train where the two casualties were hit the bridge support. The driver was crushed, and probably died instantly. I doubt any speed of response would have saved the passenger, who was ironically sitting right against the drivers cab so as to be out of the way of any broken glass if the train was stoned. Not entirely the impression you get from their description of events.

CarterUSM

Established Member
Off topic, but that accident resulted in jail sentences for the vandals, about 12-15 years each they received if I recall correctly. I don't know what you think they missed out Dolive? The train was derailed by vandalism and that's it. A complete waste of life.

Dolive22

15 each after some very good detective work and a very intensive investigation by the police.

You could reach the conclusion from the RMT description that the delay in summoning assistance had something to do with the death of one or both of them.

Metroland

Established Member
I don't know a huge amount about GSM-R, only its being rolled out nationwide, indeed throughout Europe. But all staff can use it, including buffet staff and RPIs in an emergency

But nevertheless going back to those accidents, such a system fills the recommendations of inquires into the following accidents:

* Clapham (1988 )
* Abbeyhill (1994)
* Cowden (1994)
* Ais Gill (1995)
* Doncaster (1995)
* Winsford (1999)
* Ladbroke Grove (1999)
* Llanbrynmair (2000)
* Tregoss Moor (2000)
* Hatfield (2001)

The system even detects if the driver is not responding to DSD, and allows signallers to make announcements over the PA.

"If the DSD is not reset by the driver within the warning time, a Priority 2
DSD alarm pre-defined text message is sent to the signaller and is
identified on the fixed terminal’s incoming call message queue with the
TRN with a suitable audible tone. This appraises the signaller of the event
and allows mitigating action to be taken.'

It also allows drivers to make emergency broadcasts to stop all trains, once this is received:

Once the Railway Emergency Group Call has been received, the
controlling signaller shall assume lead responsibility for the call. Once the
nature of the emergency is understood, appropriate procedures must then
be followed, which may include one or more of the following:
a) Instructing drivers/signallers on their required actions using the
current call. Whilst this option may be quicker than those listed
below, it should not replace them.
b) Returning signals to danger.
c) Instructing other trains in the emergency area not using GSM-R to
stop.
d) Making an Urgent Point-to-Point Call to a particular train instructing
them to stop.
e) Making point-to-point calls to stop particular trains.

Also it allows signallers to send stop messages to drivers via the system:

Most importantly:

"In the event of the driver being incapacitated, other on-board staff may use
the cab mobile if they have the appropriate competence. The railway
undertaking must ensure that access to the cab and radio is provided to
those on board staff with this competence.

The conductor/guard will have access to cab mobiles that are normally not
in use by the driver for use in emergencies (for example rear/intermediate
cab). Conductors/guards may also use the non-driving cab mobiles for
authorised commercial requirements authorised by the railway
undertaking. Conductor/guards may also be issued with OPHs depending
on the policy of the railway undertaking.

Other on-train personnel, such as buffet car crew, will be able to make
emergency calls from cab mobiles that are not normally in use by the
driver. Such staff may be issued with OPHs depending on the policy of
the railway undertaking."

GSM-R is also connected to OTR black box recorders on all trains, and can send data back.

None of the above is mentioned by the RMT.

CarterUSM

Established Member
I'm not so sure Dolive, it didn't say that it was a factor in the deaths, just that the emergency services were delayed, I don't think there were many passengers on the train, but it is important that the emergency services are contacted as soon as reasonably possible regardless of the eventual outcome.

Dolive22

It may just be me being suspicious of RMT. It's certainly not good for the emergency services to be delayed, even if the only two people hurt are already beyond help.

CarterUSM

Established Member
The reason it is not mentioned, this is only my opinion by the way, is that it is currently only on trial and thus far only drivers have been trained in it's use. Many of the 156's I work on myself have it installed, the driver uses it over certain routes, or he/she is supposed to anyway, and I use nrn, indeed, I have been warned not to touch the big red button in case I stop every GSM-R fitted train in the vicinity.

O L Leigh

Established Member
If a driver approaches an obstruction or derailed, he would very likely hit 'Emergency on the DOO radio' anyway.

You think...? It's a very small button to hit in amongst all the other small buttons, and the set isn't always in an easy-to-reach place.

If it were me heading towards a bridge abuttment at any great speed, my priority would probably getting out of the chair pronto so as to improve my own survival chances and, by extension, those of everyone else.

O L Leigh

Metroland

Established Member
Seemed pretty standard to me when emergency has gone off that it tends to go off at the earliest possible moment, and by God it makes a noise! Drivers are a pretty observant lot who look for problems well before they get there.

I don't think we're going to agree on this one, I'm a big fan of the system, it got me out of many sticky situations, perhaps your experience is different? I'm all for on extra staff where possible on trains, I just think with modern kit their role should be more customer focussed.

chuffchuff

But for :-

1) Driver not being incapacitated
2) CSR aerial not knocked off
3) It was a going to work train so quite a few staff were on it. so the
passengers didn't just open the doors an jump out onto the 3rd rail

DOO would have been stopped in 1999

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...in-tunnel-after-train-is-derailed-738870.html

There was another incident involving an attack with a knife, where the victim
operated the Pass Comm, but was chased along the train pressing more Pass
Comms on the way. The driver was answering the call, but it only works on
the first one used, and by this time the poor bloke was two coaches away.

This is why I think there should be at least 2 people on a train, if he's on there
he ought to be PTS trained

Poo poo does happen sometimes

O L Leigh

Established Member
Perhaps not.

My fear is that there are too many assumptions in the system and that the chain is not adequately strong in all eventualities. Yes it could be argued that you would be very unlucky if you stacked one in a CSR blackspot, but it could happen. Equally, if you'd had a really big one, you could have torn up the cabling and disabled the system at that location. Passengers generally don't know where they are and could give poor quality information about the location and severity of an accident.

I appreciate that I am arguing this to the "n-th" degree, but the system is neither completely failsafe nor completely foolproof. For example, in the few years I've been passed out I am aware of two major signalling centres being evacuated due to fire alerts meaning no-one at the box to pick up the phone. This is why the Rules still contain instructions about emergency procedures.

O L Leigh

Tom B

Established Member
I appreciate I am wading into the middle of a massive argument, but who is to say that a train cannot carry a member of staff who does everything a guard would do except open and shut the doors - i.e. a member of staff fully trained in the regulations, who can provide assistance in the event of an accident - but one who is not tied up with worrying about doors? Then the RMT get what they want (a member of staff in a job) and First don't have to worry about fiddling with the door buttons.

As for media coverage, if you read the letters page of the Metro you'll see it's been discussed recently with a lot of passengers in favour of the guards.

Status
Not open for further replies.