• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Guardian columnist suggests vandalising Southern stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Lots of feigned outrage in this thread. She was lamenting the lack of pax revolt. The idea that she / GNM could be prosecuted for that is frankly laughable.

I am sure that anyone with a deep knowledge of legal matters would be able to look at the newspaper mention made by the journalist Toynbee where mention was made of criminal damage where the descriptive word "vandalism" was used to the preamble to the said statement in the context that it was committed to print by the said journalist in that national newspaper and make a legalistic view on the actual words that cover criminal damage, without any reference to any politically motivated excuse justification being made in mitigation.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fowler9

Established Member
I am sure that anyone with a deep knowledge of legal matters would be able to look at the newspaper mention made by the journalist Toynbee where mention was made of criminal damage where the descriptive word "vandalism" was used to the preamble to the said statement in the context that it was committed to print by the said journalist in that national newspaper and make a legalistic view on the actual words that cover criminal damage, without any reference to any politically motivated excuse justification being made in mitigation.

I'd try taking her and the Guardian to court if I was you mate and see if anyone cares. :D

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I think this point has been made enough times now.

....but apparently not enough times to reach the cognitive reasoning parts of those who seem incapable of the comprehension of the legalistic terminology required when the written word is used.

Libel is a citable prime case of law where the written word is the causation of a legal case.

infobleep

Veteran Member
....but apparently not enough times to reach the cognitive reasoning parts of those who seem incapable of the comprehension of the legalistic terminology required when the written word is used.

Libel is a citable prime case of law where the written word is the causation of a legal case.

May I suggests you refer the article to the police if your that concerned.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

jimm

Established Member

Get over yourself.

route:oxford

Established Member

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I despair when I see them being banded around by non-legal professionals.

Not everywhere in the UK has libel law... Indeed statements that may be considered libelous in England might just be "hurtful words" in Scotland.

Good article here:-

https://www.dwf.law/news-events/legal-updates/2014/04/defamation-in-scotland/

I made no mention whatsoever of the Guardian readership in Scotland, not did I make any specific mention of how the legal definition of how the words of Toynbee would be viewed under the laws that apply in Scotland.

I see that you did not answer my query on Railway Bylaws and which of those would cover any attempt to put the words of Toynbee into action.

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
Perhaps from a brief reading of her journalistic style could well give people the impression that she is the person who makes the drafts of those now-infamous RMT press releases...:D

Poly Toynbee's article is within the 'Opinion' section of The Guardian website. A trade union press release should be one side of a story, with the employer providing the other side and it's up to the reader to form their own opinion based on the argument both sides put forward.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I made no mention whatsoever of the Guardian readership in Scotland, not did I make any specific mention of how the legal definition of how the words of Toynbee would be viewed under the laws that apply in Scotland.

I see that you did not answer my query on Railway Bylaws and which of those would cover any attempt to put the words of Toynbee into action.
I notice you didn't respond to me suggestion that you contact the police. Are you going to do that?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

asylumxl

Established Member
Got to love RailUK. Instead on focusing on the overall sentiment of the article, let's instead focus on the semantics of English/Welsh and Scottish law...

broadgage

Leaving aside nit picking over the exact legal meaning of the newspaper article and the potential legal consequences thereof, it is beyond doubt that dissatisfaction with Southern is rapidly becoming anger rather than passive dissatisfaction.

No other industry would get away with this sort of "service"

I feel that it is only a matter of time until anger boils over into actual violence.

There have been widespread calls on social media, for example, for the organised non payment of fares by way of protest and the resisting of fare collection by violence if need be.
Some have stated on line that they regard "free" travel for a few months as not being at all dishonest but as being reasonable compensation for the way they have been treated.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Got to love RailUK. Instead on focusing on the overall sentiment of the article, let's instead focus on the semantics of English/Welsh and Scottish law...
Well the legal bit is most important. After all of you were in court you wouldn't focus on the overall sentiment but the legal matters at hand.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

MarkyT

Established Member
I'm quite surprised the sub eds and finally the editor allowed the particular comment through. Like many here it immediately stuck out like a sore thumb to me in what otherwise struck me as a fairly well written and argued piece (I'm not going to be drawn on whether I support the particular view!). Maybe it would have been acceptable to make a comment about customer disobedience without going into detail about the possible forms that might take. Mark Steel in the 'i' and possibly still the Independent writes from a similar political POV, but his comedic background gives him a license to make absolutely ridiculous statements for humorous purposes in the name or parody or satire. Perhaps Ms T thought the comment gave the piece a similar edgy or anarchic angle. Wrong call I think in this case.

SA_900

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Last edited:

kieron

Established Member
It was what was physically committed to print by Polly Townbee in that "fragment of a piece" that is what has caused this thread discussion to take place.
Quite possibly, but that doesn't show that there's a connection between any particular opinion you hold and "how the printed word can be viewed by readers of that newspaper".

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Plainly put in my view, what the columnist is doing is activley promoting vandalism on something that isn't their's. There is the risk that they could also incure a serious amount of PFN's towards the users of Southern.

What she is also suggesting is that this "polite" vandalism by jamming the ticket machines, other than what I mentioned above, is that someone will hav to come out and repair and as far as I am aware it the cost of the repair would end up coming out of the users of Southern.

Either way no one wins.

fowler9

Established Member
I don't think any sane person thinks she was calling for people to vandalise stations. If she is that influential the Daily Mail would have been shut down years ago for being like Mein Kampf. Did anyone read what that idiot Hitchens said today about the film Sully being harsh on the NTSB? The bit where all of the simulations knew in advance that the plane was about to loose all power and he didn't.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
goodness - some people really need to chill out. Nothing will have been published without the Grauniads legal beagles vetting every word for actionable content and any attempt to sue will be a complete waste of money.

fowler9

Established Member
Plainly put in my view, what the columnist is doing is activley promoting vandalism on something that isn't their's. There is the risk that they could also incure a serious amount of PFN's towards the users of Southern.

What she is also suggesting is that this "polite" vandalism by jamming the ticket machines, other than what I mentioned above, is that someone will hav to come out and repair and as far as I am aware it the cost of the repair would end up coming out of the users of Southern.

Either way no one wins.

Get over yourself, she was saying she couldn't believe people hadn't done it already.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Not sure whether she is aware of the definition of 'polite'...

Indeed so, especially when used in the context of prefixing the word "vandalism"...:roll:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Get over yourself, she was saying she couldn't believe people hadn't done it already.

Perchance people are more minded of the consequences of transgressing the law on such matters.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
goodness - some people really need to chill out. Nothing will have been published without the Grauniads legal beagles vetting every word for actionable content and any attempt to sue will be a complete waste of money.

I learn something new, even at the age of 71, from this most excellent website. Up to reading this posting, I had no knowledge whatsoever of the term "legal beagle", to which an urban dictionary definition states "A stickler for the rules and always on the hunt for violations".

The term that is well known to me of "legal eagle" is defined in more esteemed dictionaries as "A lawyer, especially one who espouses astuteness"

Perhaps that referred-to newspaper only employs those less qualified in such matters...:D

Last edited:

Johnuk123

Established Member
goodness - some people really need to chill out. Nothing will have been published without the Grauniads legal beagles vetting every word for actionable content.

08e14529bb60e13d1ef74b671228c7a9_400x400.png

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Sorry mate, what I said looks quite harsh re reading it. I didn't mean it to be like a personal attack on you for what you said. :D

Well I do try to elaborate on what I've put and try to multi-angle my post so that everyone can get the gist of what I'm trying to say.

fowler9

Established Member
Well I do try to elaborate on what I've put and try to multi-angle my post so that everyone can get the gist of what I'm trying to say.

Yeah mate, I think what I meant just came across badly via the gift of social media. You know, "Get over yourself" sounds quite harsh. If we had been face to face it wouldn't have seemed that way. Anyway, I get the point you were making. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.