• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Guess the Station...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Strat-tastic

Established Member
Thanks, yes the Wimbledon to Sutton link, opened by the Southern in 1930 was a line definitely built for electric traction due to the gradients and curves (having said that they used a steam loco to iron out the tracks and ballast when it was first built). The gradient and curves on the section from Sutton to West Sutton that you can see drop away in the picture used to be bordered by fresh white high concrete walls (now weathered and faded) and railwaymen nicknamed it "The Wall of Death" after the fairground ride of the same name.
Sounds like a trip may be in order :)

Grumpus63

Oops, sorry, duplicate answer there by me. Tut tut! :s Okay, now for the next one... this view has changed since the pic was taken in 2010. I expect there are easy clues....4233542583_181f13e051_c.jpg

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Over to you Mr Mugridge, well done.
Thank you; I'm out at the moment but I will post one this evening. I have one in mind...

OK...this should be a ridiculously easy one: we have here what was once an everyday scene - 205 023 platformed adjacent to a Gatwick Express Mk2 rake.

The question is: where?

Attachments

• Peter Archive 6716.jpg
    Peter Archive 6716.jpg
    902.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Yes. That is so London Bridge. The cream coloured stuff above the trains is the footbridge linking to the middle of the through platforms. The flat-ish roof. How come I never looked at the photo last night :oops:.

steamybrian

Established Member
Just beat me to it...!
Can I guess the year around 1985- 1987 when the thumpers were still running on the East Grinstead Line (headcode 66) with NSE livery.
Was the Gatwick Express stock on a diverted service away from Victoria..?

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
London Bridge?
Very good... and slightly disappointing because I was hoping someone would at first just look at the stock and not the background and say it was Victoria...

Anyway, your turn...

Just beat me to it...!
Can I guess the year around 1985- 1987 when the thumpers were still running on the East Grinstead Line (headcode 66) with NSE livery.
Was the Gatwick Express stock on a diverted service away from Victoria..?
Errr... no; it was 30th March 1991 - the London Bridge open day.

Grumpus63

Good Lord, I was convinced it was one of the stations between Guildford and Redhill! I had no idea that Shotton could look so rural...presumably this is the Shotton on the Bidston to Wrexham line?

ls2270

Established Member
Good Lord, I was convinced it was one of the stations between Guildford and Redhill! I had no idea that Shotton could look so rural...presumably this is the Shotton on the Bidston to Wrexham line?
No it’s taken from the Chester bound Low Level platform, looking west towards Flint.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Lets see how you get on with this. It may need expanding if it's too difficult.

Attachments

• 20210719_194759.jpg
    20210719_194759.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 88