• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GW to be electrified

Status
Not open for further replies.

LE Greys

Established Member
According to a article in todays western mail the Great western mainline is only being electrified as far as Bristol with dual fuel trains being used on the services to south wales according to a senior member of Network rail.

I can say the WAG is already up in arms about this.

Sounds like someone misinterpreted the plans, which most likely call for a temporary halt at Bristol, then continue to Wales. BR's original plans for electrifying the ECML in the sixties called for wires to Newcastle but no further, but they realised this was a bit silly later on. Presumably, it's one or the other.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tbtc

Veteran Member
I'm sure the WAG could always pay for it if they really want it (they've found the money for their WAG Express and WAG Air, after all)... easier to criticise others though?

As for the "Waste" of dual fuel trains carrying "30 tonnes of diesel", this will inevitably happen, unless *everything* is wired. If you wire to Cardiff then Swansea trains will need to carry "30 tonnes of diesel" (or cut Swansea's direct London services). If you wire to Swansea then what about the Carmarthen (etc) services? Are they kept?

People need to accept that there will inevitably be compromises, especially local politicians.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
I'm sure the WAG could always pay for it if they really want it (they've found the money for their WAG Express and WAG Air, after all)... easier to criticise others though?

WAG only got a settlement from Westminster for subsidy to one TOC (ATW), the relatively small extras you talk about have come from other budgets. Without a settlement for Network Rail and FGW, WAG cannot divert enough funds around within its own budget.

As for the "Waste" of dual fuel trains carrying "30 tonnes of diesel", this will inevitably happen, unless *everything* is wired. If you wire to Cardiff then Swansea trains will need to carry "30 tonnes of diesel" (or cut Swansea's direct London services). If you wire to Swansea then what about the Carmarthen (etc) services? Are they kept?

With the IEP's allegedly 26m it was already feared they were out of gauge for summer trains to Tenby anyway.

People need to accept that there will inevitably be compromises, especially local politicians.

The problem with this is that everything else in the pipeline for S Wales has been cut already Severn Barrage, St Athan Defense Academy etc The compromise may well be that they are trying to find a way of getting electrification funded to Wales still.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
The problem with this is that everything else in the pipeline for S Wales has been cut already Severn Barrage, St Athan Defense Academy etc The compromise may well be that they are trying to find a way of getting electrification funded to Wales still.

With all due respect Gareth elect funded to South Wales, we would like to see Crewe to Holyhead have wires, but it will never happen.

tbtc

Veteran Member

Sounds familiar; I've lost track of the (proposed) Government funding South Yorkshire has "lost" in the last few months.

Realistically, if there is to be Welsh electrification then the Valley Lines would give a much better cost/benefit ratio, save more diesel trains and be more "self contained" (electrifying the main line from Swansea/ Cardiff/ Newport through to England wouldn't really save that many diesels)

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Sounds familiar; I've lost track of the (proposed) Government funding South Yorkshire has "lost" in the last few months.

To a degree they've backed themselves into a corner by leaving this hanging as the pressure to keep it builds up and the criticism if they do cut it looms large in the minds.

Realistically, if there is to be Welsh electrification then the Valley Lines would give a much better cost/benefit ratio, save more diesel trains and be more "self contained" (electrifying the main line from Swansea/ Cardiff/ Newport through to England wouldn't really save that many diesels)

I wonder how much diesel is used bear in mind most units roll most of the way back down to Cardiff from Treherbert/Aberdare/Merthyr/Rhymney/Ebbw Vale anyway, potential for regenerative braking is great though.

YorkshireBear

Established Member

i feel for merseytravel too 67% cut....

although the forgmasters is apparently being reconsidered....
and the extra trams

Welsh valleys electrified.. how many sprinters and pacers would that be for northern? lovely bit of capcaity there...

tbtc

Veteran Member
Welsh valleys electrified.. how many sprinters and pacers would that be for northern? lovely bit of capcaity there...

I should do the maths sometime, not sure.

The advantage is that the Valley Lines are pretty self contained.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/system/galleries/download/print_maps/NetworkRail_CardiffBristolmap.pdf

Whereas, the GWML to Swansea wouldn't really release that many trains, as a lot of the services along it would still have diesel parts (like Manchester - Carmarthen, which is under the wires from Manchester to Crewe, unelectrified to Newport, would run under wires to Swansea, then no wires to Carmarthen).

If we are serious about getting rid of Pacers and getting rid of other DMUs (getting rid of Pacers being a priority) then the Valley Lines would be one of the first routes I'd electrify.

Status
Not open for further replies.