• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 165/166 Turbo Diagrams

FGW_DID

Established Member
Additionally? Or was P1 an error?

Class 16x DMUs are prohibited from:
• Portsmouth Harbour platforms 3, 4 and 5.
• Portsmouth and Southsea Low Level platforms 3 & 4.
• Portsmouth & Southsea Down carriage sidings
• Fratton platform 3 (including Down Main from Fratton East Junction to
Portsmouth & Southsea).
• Fratton No.1 reception road and back road.
• Fratton depot.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lockwood

That makes a lot more sense.
I was having visions of them doing all kinds of dancing around at Fratton!

pompeyfan

Established Member
Class 16x DMUs are prohibited from:
• Portsmouth Harbour platforms 3, 4 and 5.
• Portsmouth and Southsea Low Level platforms 3 & 4.
• Portsmouth & Southsea Down carriage sidings
• Fratton platform 3 (including Down Main from Fratton East Junction to
Portsmouth & Southsea).
• Fratton No.1 reception road and back road.
• Fratton depot.

That’s a lot of restrictions, especially at the harbour. Hopefully it doesn’t cause them too many issues in the event of disruption.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
RTT suggests almost all GW services are booked in Portsmouth Harbour P1, so perhaps the two exceptions in the evening could be rebooked use to use P1 normally as well?

spark001uk

Established Member
I don't think I've ever seen GWR anywhere other than P1 at the Harbour.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I don't think I've ever seen GWR anywhere other than P1 at the Harbour.
That’s just what I was thinking, before I saw what was on RTT. I can’t believe such a platforming restriction would make a huge difference, unless of course a train fails in P1...

pompeyfan

Established Member
They are nearly always on 1 at the harbour but a little bit of redundancy just in case would be handy I’m sure, not unheard of for the signalling in Portsmouth to take out platforms at any of the 3 major stations.

vikingdriver

This seems to have gone by without comment. How on earth is that going to work in practice?

It appears that has now changed, someone has probably realised the chaos it would cause. Haven't seen the latest updated info but have it on good authority it has indeed been changed.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
It appears that has now changed, someone has probably realised the chaos it would cause. Haven't seen the latest updated info but have it on good authority it has indeed been changed.

Well that’s certainly good news. 15mph it is then :lol:

Right Away

Saw the updated brief this evening. Fair to say that GWR are less than impressed with Network Rail with the late changes to route clearances. There will be high level discussions between the two organisations. Although the 10 mph restriction has been withdrawn, a 20 mph restriction applies through Fratton station.

The brief also states that class 16x units may not stop at Portchester platform 2 because of excessive stepping distances.

Eastleigh to Fareham is cleared without any restrictions.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Saw the updated brief this evening. Fair to say that GWR are less than impressed with Network Rail with the late changes to route clearances. There will be high level discussions between the two organisations. Although the 10 mph restriction has been withdrawn, a 20 mph restriction applies through Fratton station.

The brief also states that class 16x units may not stop at Portchester platform 2 because of excessive stepping distances.

Eastleigh to Fareham is cleared without any restrictions.

Have GWR ever stopped at Portchester in recent years? I know they’ve called at Woolston, Netley and Swanwick when there was a gas leak at St Denys ages ago, but nothing at Portchester.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Isn’t the 20 mph speed limit through Fratton pretty much academic if all services stop, with the possible exceptions of ECS moves off the fuel point if they ever go via the station?

Also, (repeated from the other thread about Turbo cascades), presumably all bets are off on the above service times because of the Westbury overrunning engineering works?

Last edited:

Right Away

Have GWR ever stopped at Portchester in recent years? I know they’ve called at Woolston, Netley and Swanwick when there was a gas leak at St Denys ages ago, but nothing at Portchester.
Nothing is scheduled to, however during times of disruption (such as the traction current being discharged) Special Stop Orders may be issued for GWR services to call at intermediate stations in order to provide a service. Crews still need to be aware of restrictions at such stations to cover all possibilities.

Right Away

Isn’t the 20 mph speed limit through Fratton pretty much academic if all services stop, with the possible exceptions of ECS moves off the fuel point if they ever go via the station?
From a timing point of view yes. From a driving point of view no. The driver still needs to know of the speed restriction. No lineside class 16x differential speed boards will be provided.

spark001uk

Established Member
From a timing point of view yes. From a driving point of view no. The driver still needs to know of the speed restriction. No lineside class 16x differential speed boards will be provided.
Aren't differential boards compulsory where a class/type has its own speed restriction?

JN114

Established Member
Aren't differential boards compulsory where a class/type has its own speed restriction?

No, they're not. There are many, many localised restrictions for specific types that aren't signed whatsoever.

Right Away

165131 and 166213 are provisionally allocated to:

1B04 0755 BRI CDF
1F09 0930 CDF PMH
1F20 1523 PMH CDF
1F29 1730 CDF PMH
5F29 2103 PMH WSB

BRI = Bristol Temple Meads
CDF = Cardiff Central
PMH = Portsmouth Harbour
WSB = Westbury

ATW158Xpress

165131 and 166213 are provisionally allocated to:

1B04 0755 BRI CDF
1F09 0930 CDF PMH
1F20 1523 PMH CDF
1F29 1730 CDF PMH
5F29 2103 PMH WSB

BRI = Bristol Temple Meads
CDF = Cardiff Central
PMH = Portsmouth Harbour
WSB = Westbury
1F20 is meant to be 1323 by any chance.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
After days of hype and expectations nobody seems interested now it's actually happening. 1F09 has left Warminster en route to Portsmouth Harbour.

pompeyfan

Established Member
After days of hype and expectations nobody seems interested now it's actually happening. 1F09 has left Warminster en route to Portsmouth Harbour.

Very interesting. Hopefully people actually manage to get some pictures.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation

I'm sorry about that - I'm absolutely interested ! Just didn't know when the first Turbo train to Portsmouth was.
GWR must be relieved! It also means a 158 can either replace a 150 or Pacer or couple to another 158 on a 158-worked Portsmouth service.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I'm sorry about that - I'm absolutely interested ! Just didn't know when the first Turbo train to Portsmouth was.
GWR must be relieved! It also means a 158 can either replace a 150 or Pacer or couple to another 158 on a 158-worked Portsmouth service.

All the Pompeys wil be Turbos in due course. Displaced 158s will go gradually onto Cardiff to Tauntons (shared with HSTG1) and West of England. A 3 Car 158 couldn't couple to another in the Pompeys as they would be too long for some of the platforms.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
All the Pompeys wil be Turbos in due course. Displaced 158s will go gradually onto Cardiff to Tauntons (shared with HSTG1) and West of England. A 3 Car 158 couldn't couple to another in the Pompeys as they would be too long for some of the platforms.

Hopefully the 09:00 Cardiff to Penzance will be worked by a 158 or short HST. As much as I enjoy a 150, it wouldn't quite feel right spending from Bristol Temple Meads to Cornwall on one.

156's run journeys over 5 hours - I say this as 150's have the same engines and gearboxes. So a 150/2 (150/2's have tables) from Cardiff to Penzance isn't bad really :) .

Parallel

Established Member
156's run journeys over 5 hours - I say this as 150's have the same engines and gearboxes. So a 150/2 (150/2's have tables) from Cardiff to Penzance isn't bad really :) .

Unless you’re unlucky and 150202, 150207 or 150216 turn up!

moley

I was on a 6 car 158 last month when a tree across the line delayed the first service by 1hr. Both services travelled Southampton to Bristol together.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I was on a 6 car 158 last month when a tree across the line delayed the first service by 1hr. Both services travelled Southampton to Bristol together.

Surprising what can be done in an emergency but what you can't diagram !!!