• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 800

Status
Not open for further replies.

JN114

Established Member
800004 and 800003 now safely back at home in North Pole. Working 5X29 to Paddington at 1400 and 5X30 to Tiverton Loop this afternoon. Saw it at Paddington:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgLHGYlIPgE

May also like to ask, has any driver training occurred on the IET's yet for GWR drivers? This path looks like possible driver training into/out of North Pole to Paddington. It's a 5X however is listed as a GWR service...

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P04777/2017/08/02/advanced

And maybe driver training for the entire run from Bristol to Padd?

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/V24447/2017/08/05/advanced

Some limited train-the-trainer training has started, as previously mentioned. Whether that's what certain paths are for is anyone's guess; driver training can happen on any trip, it doesn't have to be over a particular route - just x hours handling time to gain an appreciation for the characteristics of the train across its operating range.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

leomartin125

They didn't. Might only be paths in place for swaps if another unit is delivered to Doncaster from Merchant Park. Speaking of which, a delivery is due to run tonight as 5X80:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K97586/2017/08/04/advanced

On another note, 3X03 is due to take place tomorrow! Quite interesting to see an IET running as a class 3 not a class 5... wonder what its up too?

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O17206/2017/08/05/advanced

Last edited:
Some limited train-the-trainer training has started, as previously mentioned. Whether that's what certain paths are for is anyone's guess; driver training can happen on any trip, it doesn't have to be over a particular route - just x hours handling time to gain an appreciation for the characteristics of the train across its operating range.

No mainline training yet.

JN114

Established Member
No mainline training yet.

My platform validation trip back in May had a GWR Driver Instructor being instructed in practical handling for one of the legs of the journey - GWR staff have definitely driven them on the Main Line, although I'll concede nowhere near as much as I would have expected by now.

Typhoon_93

802001 has ventured out onto the national network Friday 04/08/2017. It worked 5X10 Doncaster Carr IEP Depot to Darlington and 5X11 return.
RTT initially showed as cancelled but eventually showed as running.

JN114

Established Member
800004 and 800006 have both been out, separately, today. These runs were the first of an IET on GWR's safety case rather than GBRf's.

leomartin125

800004 and 800006 have both been out, separately, today. These runs were the first of an IET on GWR's safety case rather than GBRf's.

May I ask what difference does that make? It would still be driven by a GBRf lad? Unless the GWR allocation meant it was driven by a GWR driver?

D1009

Established Member
May I ask what difference does that make? It would still be driven by a GBRf lad? Unless the GWR allocation meant it was driven by a GWR driver?
No diffrence practically, but once the GWR driver instructors are trained, there will be no further need for the GBRf staff.

dp21

Has the Class 800 got type acceptance yet..

I don't think so but willing to be corrected. Last I heard it was still struggling with a number of problems but that was a few weeks ago...

Given the press release about the signalling tests being completed I'd imagine something would be announced upon completion?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Will they be internally refurbished? I mean, grey seats in standard and red and black in first class (disappointing compared to the HSTs first) don't really go with their colour scheme do they?

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
802001-2 are today's 5X80 to Acton... on diesel power down the ECML

Saw them come through Reading (as 5X82). Didn't realise it was 802001 and 802002 at the time - I was almost going to post that I had seen 800001 and 800002 and they had been repainted in GWR livery!

Last edited:

leomartin125

Okay. The green on 802001 and 802002 looks different to 800003 and 800004. Most likely because instead of being vinyled, they have been painted whilst in production at Pistoria. A lot more shine to the 802's than the 800's, can certainly tell the difference. Wonder if this will stay, or whether GWR will choose to vinyl the 802's too?

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
But even though it was run under GWR, it could still be driven by a GBRf driver?

It could, but why would they want to? The aim is to train sufficient crew by October to launch the first services so GWR will take every opportunity possible to get driver and guard training hours in.

Regular driver training runs will continue from tomorrow, generally 6 days per week using 2 sets. Some coupler training will also take place at Reading depot on certain days using both sets.

455driver

Veteran Member

Not necessarily, if its on GWRs safety case then its a GWR train with a GWR crew, probably under instruction.

Envoy

Established Member
Okay. The green on 802001 and 802002 looks different to 800003 and 800004. Most likely because instead of being vinyled, they have been painted whilst in production at Pistoria. A lot more shine to the 802's than the 800's, can certainly tell the difference. Wonder if this will stay, or whether GWR will choose to vinyl the 802's too?

Well, I darn well hope that they get more shine as the one I saw looked very dull - (IKB & Sir Daniel Gooch).

Typhoon_93

Am I right in thinking these are two 5 car 802's? So the 9 car 802's are still at Donny Carr?

There is only one 9car 802 at Doncaster having arrived in the last couple of weeks.(802101)

The other two 9cars are 800/3's 800302/303 and are now both numbered so they could come out soon.

Gareth

MML

Given the heavier bi-mode units with diesel and electric traction had to be procured in order to ensure a service could operate prior to completion of the delayed GW route electrification, could these units be switched to the MML in future and be replaced by pure electric Class 800 once the GW routes to Bristol and Cardiff are fully electrified ?

spark001uk

Established Member
Given the heavier bi-mode units with diesel and electric traction had to be procured in order to ensure a service could operate prior to completion of the delayed GW route electrification, could these units be switched to the MML in future and be replaced by pure electric Class 800 once the GW routes to Bristol and Cardiff are fully electrified ?

Don't you mean class 801?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I don't think so but willing to be corrected. Last I heard it was still struggling with a number of problems but that was a few weeks ago...
Given the press release about the signalling tests being completed I'd imagine something would be announced upon completion?

Those IEP "successful signalling tests" were of the Hitachi ETCS system on the Hertford Loop testbed.
Doesn't advance its acceptance on the current GW route under Series 1 OHLE.

leomartin125

Last night the first Class 800 was dispatched by a GWR guard with a GWR driver onboard, making this the first major step towards EIS (entry into service).

Status
Not open for further replies.