• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 800

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimm

Established Member
Wouldn't it be easy to run a single contact wire over the tracks in stations to feed stabled trains? This would avoid staff from having to access the track to carry out manual handling of the shore supply cable. I know that it might cost a bit more than an extension lead but it would be out of the way of the p'way gang and away from contamination by diesel engine leaks etc.

Not sure why you think stations come into this - the new power supplies referred to above are being installed at stabling sidings GWR uses outside Worcester Shrub Hill and Hereford stations, where staff have been plugging in HSTs overnight for some years now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The_Engineer

One aspect that really disappoints with these IETS is the noise when idling at stations on diesel. This represents a major downgrade in station ambience at many places now , especially the likes of Plymouth, Swansea, Exeter , Penzance etc.

Not sure why you think stations come into this

The discussion on Shore Supply to IEPs came from the thread quoted above, which was clearly a question related to avoiding IEPs from idling in stations during turn-rounds at destination stations.

jimm

Established Member
The post came below swt_passenger's post about overnight stabling siding power supplies and Clarence Yard's reply on that point, so hard to see a direct link to things that had been said on the previous page.

For my part I don't regard a train sat in a platform at a station during turnaround between duties to be 'stabled' anyway, especially given the pitstop nature of so many turnarounds these days. It simply wouldn't be worth the time and effort to plug in a shore supply.

And why anyone thinks the 800s are noisy running on diesel when sat in a station, compared with the racket from a Voyager or a 180, beats me.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I'm sure you can get away from it inside Temple Meads' Digby Wyatt shed, but not on the platforms to the south...you might as well add in an "updated" modern overall trainshed roof over P6-15 while you're at it! :lol:
Before getting carried away there’s little need to “reinvent the wheel” for Bristol Temple Meads, Newcastle Central sets a precedent with pretty normal catenary and contact wire carried by head-spans in all the through platforms, however they do have a single wire setup in the bays.

The common feature of the numerous online photos of Newcastle is that the OHLE is generally quite difficult to see...

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Perhaps it is the HST that is a product of BR’s non-standardisation.

Moving to 415V was probably the best decision BR made in the HST's design - it allowed the use of standard equipment and removed the need for the motor generators fitted to the Mark 3 loco hauled fleet.

Honestly I am not sure what you would adopt as a better standard than an off the shelf three phase supply.....

gordonjahn

Moving to 415V was probably the best decision BR made in the HST's design - it allowed the use of standard equipment and removed the need for the motor generators fitted to the Mark 3 loco hauled fleet.

Honestly I am not sure what you would adopt as a better standard than an off the shelf three phase supply.....

Again, not class 800 and not really relevant, but is the 415v 3ph on the HST sets supplied to the coaches with a neutral or does any 230v gear in the coaches require a transformer?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Same can be said for York.
And Darlington. The ECML is a showcase for how you can sympathetically wire grand old structures to ensure that the railway can function using modern technology whilst preserving the heritage that it has.

Mintona

Established Member
I think 800001 was last noted having vinyl applied at Doncaster. I’m 99% sure it was hanging around down the bottom end of North Pole when I went past 90 minutes ago.

Typhoon_93

member: 280"]I think 800001 was last noted having vinyl applied at Doncaster. I’m 99% sure it was hanging around down the bottom end of North Pole when I went past 90 minutes ago.[/QUOTE]

It moved to North Pole earlier today

superkev

Established Member
Again, not class 800 and not really relevant, but is the 415v 3ph on the HST sets supplied to the coaches with a neutral or does any 230v gear in the coaches require a transformer?
No 415v between phases is 240v live to neutral. (415 divided by root 3) which is 415/1.732
K

The_Engineer

No 415v between phases is 240v live to neutral. (415 divided by root 3) which is 415/1.732
K

I think you missed the question here from superkev, which was - is there a neutral included with the three-phase supply from the HST auxiliary supply? The answer is yes.

If not, you can still create local 240V supplies. Then you'd need to derive 240V through a 415V/240V transformer off a couple of the phases, and earth one 240V output to make a local neutral.

D365

Veteran Member
The ECML is a showcase for how you can sympathetically wire grand old structures to ensure that the railway can function using modern technology whilst preserving the heritage that it has.

I’m afraid that I am going to have to call you out on that :lol:

HSTEd

Veteran Member

From (and obsolete version of) the standard:
On the High Speed Train, for which this equipment was designed, the interconnectors have three main current carrying pins/tubes rated at 600A,
415V a.c. The neutral is not carried through the interconnectors but is bonded to the vehicle frame via a 2kΩ resistor at the alternator on the power car.

So no, there is no solid neutral between vehicles.
I assume any 230V loads (although will there be many?) are provided with a local transformer.
Or if the loads are well known and distributed across the phases properly - the current through the neutral will be negligible and the 2kΩ resistor would allow the current to be returned through the running rails.

It is a much superior system to the wierd AC/DC 750-1000V ETS system that is used on loco hauled vehicles (excluding Nightstar stock because of course it did things differently again)

Last edited:

bnm

Established Member
Apologies, no doubt already covered but what were they doing there?!
Class 802/0 (five car) and 802/1 (nine car) are being assembled in Italy. Then railed through Austria, Germany and France to Blighty. Striking SNCF staff have delayed the progress of these two 802/0 sets, the first pair off the Hitachi production line in Pistoia, Italy.

The first three 802/0 sets, already on test with GWR, were built in Japan. The rest are coming from Italy.

Last edited:

BestWestern

Established Member
Class 802/0 (five car) and 802/1 (nine car) are being assembled in Italy. Then railed through Austria, Germany and France to Blighty. Striking SNCF staff have delayed the progress of these two 802/0 sets, the first pair off the Hitachi production line in Pistoia, Italy.

The first three 802/0 sets, already on test with GWR, were built in Japan. The rest are coming from Italy.

Ah yes, strike that rings a bell, I did read it I think. Ta!

spark001uk

Established Member
I've browsed a few pages back so apologies if I've missed it, but do we have an eis* date for the /3's yet?

(* Entry Into Service, for anyone unsure of the term.)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Not all of them - I took the liberty of checking @Halish Railway's channel on YouTube, and 800304 was an electric delivery along the ECML. (I suspect that diesel would have been required for the final leg from the NLL into the GWML)
It should have been able to stay on AC nowadays, after completion of works the WLL entrance to North Pole was made available for use a while ago. RTT seems to show it as reversing on the WLL at North Pole Jn.
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K13488/2018/05/07/advanced

59CosG95

Established Member

Pete_uk

Established Member
I know it may be a bit up in the air, but I did read that from 25th June 1G11 Paddington to Cheltenham will be a 800. Would this be a 800 or a 802? Given it leaves at about 07:45 would this be a 5 car, 9 or 10?

Any guesses?

Status
Not open for further replies.