• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 800

Status
Not open for further replies.

aar0

Isn't it quicker by Cross Country from Swansea to Newcastle with a change at Bristol Parkway?

Not much in it, plus I have a few friends in London to tend to add an hour on to the time to cross it and grab at pint in Kings Cross.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
For me, passenger comfort is more important than slamming the controller straight to max in either direction. If running on time (especially on electric) then the best thing to do is gently introduce power or brake and then incrementally increase it. There's little benefit in arriving at the next station a minute early if your shirt is covered in coffee!

If running late then I would brake and accelerate through the controller more quickly, but would never go straight to maximum power. Having been driven by a Worcester based driver back from Paddington the other day who went straight to maximum power every time and was quite aggressive with the brake, it really did make the journey uncomfortable - especially as we were following a freight for part of the way - and felt like I was on a rocking horse!
Crawling out of platforms with an HST in notch 2 until well clear of the platform or hitting the ramp at 10mph when braking is just rank bad driving (or poor standards from above). It eats capacity by massively extending platform re-occupation time and is something that has been policy (at least at certain depots such as Bristol) on Great Western for years.

irish_rail

Established Member
Crawling out of platforms with an HST in notch 2 until well clear of the platform or hitting the ramp at 10mph when braking is just rank bad driving (or poor standards from above). It eats capacity by massively extending platform re-occupation time and is something that has been policy (at least at certain depots such as Bristol) on Great Western for years.
I crawl out of Paddington in notch 2 purely to allow a little more time for the train in front to get the hell out of my way to then allow some decent acceleration later on and hopefully a none stop run to reading. The xx03 departures do seem to have drawn the short straw as inevitably the xx00 catches up the xx50 when it calls at slough hence my reasoning for hanging back. But I agree slow approach speeds INTO platforms is pretty unforgivable.....

II

Yes, I wouldn't disagree with that regarding HST's, as their initial acceleration is comparatively poor - I was referring to sensible Class 800 driving styles as this is the 800 thread. The HST policy (company wide) was changed to Notch 4 until clear of the station soon after the MTU engines were installed, so over ten years ago now, though some, generally 'older hands' still stuck to the old instruction. Mind you, if you know you're going to catch up with something then there's no point hammering it.

Over cautious braking is also regrettable though I can't blame drivers too much as there is so much pressure not to have a TPWS activation or overrun that it seems some have been conditioned to become too cautious IMHO.

Railperf

Established Member
I crawl out of Paddington in notch 2 purely to allow a little more time for the train in front to get the hell out of my way to then allow some decent acceleration later on and hopefully a none stop run to reading. The xx03 departures do seem to have drawn the short straw as inevitably the xx00 catches up the xx50 when it calls at slough hence my reasoning for hanging back. But I agree slow approach speeds INTO platforms is pretty unforgivable.....
3 minute headways are so tight that it really requires the train ahead to depart on time at least - and then keep well out of the way. But yes the Slough stoppers on the main line are still timed for 90mph turbos in some cases . The xx;00 is scheduled to be only 2.5 mins behind at Twyford, which is close enough to suggest he will be seeing yellows! And once he starts slowing down - - then the xx:03 on his tail will also start seeing yellows - which causes a kind of wave effect in train terms. The only trains leaving Paddington that don't have this issue are the xx;50/52 and xx:20/22 Worcester/Oxford/Herefords which stop at Slough. They depart Paddington 5 mins after the Swansea - so theoretically should have a clear road!

Looks like some minor timetable tweaking could have been done here to improve things. Re-time the xx;50/52 Slough stopper to xx;48 or xx;49 to allow it to stay further ahead of the xx;00 And use 800's -not turbos!! Does the departure time have something to do with the pathing of trains into Paddington?

irish_rail

Established Member
3 minute headways are so tight that it really requires the train ahead to depart on time at least - and then keep well out of the way. But yes the Slough stoppers on the main line are still timed for 90mph turbos in some cases . The xx;00 is scheduled to be only 2.5 mins behind at Twyford, which is close enough to suggest he will be seeing yellows! And once he starts slowing down - - then the xx:03 on his tail will also start seeing yellows - which causes a kind of wave effect in train terms. The only trains leaving Paddington that don't have this issue are the xx;50/52 and xx:20/22 Worcester/Oxford/Herefords which stop at Slough. They depart Paddington 5 mins after the Swansea - so theoretically should have a clear road!

Looks like some minor timetable tweaking could have been done here to improve things. Re-time the xx;50/52 Slough stopper to xx;48 or xx;49 to allow it to stay further ahead of the xx;00 And use 800's -not turbos!! Does the departure time have something to do with the pathing of trains into Paddington?
Yes no idea why they are so stubborn on the paths between reading and London so much could be done to give decent paths. Having travelled intercity lines through the UK quite a bit lately, it is only the western where almost all services seem to be poorly parthed into London. Wcml , ecml etc seem to get a generally clear run in / out.
Let's hope the December timetable change sees some improvements.....

cactustwirly

Established Member
Yes no idea why they are so stubborn on the paths between reading and London so much could be done to give decent paths. Having travelled intercity lines through the UK quite a bit lately, it is only the western where almost all services seem to be poorly parthed into London. Wcml , ecml etc seem to get a generally clear run in / out.

They're better than the MML, at least they have priority over commuter services....

Railperf

Established Member
Yes..lets hope indeed. Another factor that doesn't help is the Heathrow Express service using 100mph trains. It didn't matter in the past, because their better acceleration than HST's meant they skipped off into the distance and were onto the branch before the HST's were back on their tail. The 800's arguably accelerate equally as good if not better. Let's hope the use of 387's and an upgrade of the overhead line equipment brings allows an increase to 110mph. But i maintain the HeX should have had 125mph units. The amount of times i have come back from Bristol or the West Country only to trundle behind a HeX unit from Airport Jn in is appalling!!

Railperf

Established Member
They're better than the MML, at least they have priority over commuter services....
The problem is there is little capacity to switch Thameslink trains out of the way for late-running EMT services. I was on a Thameslink unit recently that had a late running EMT train coming in behind - but we were kept on the Up fast, to the the frustration the driver and passengers of that 222 - as we stopped Luton Airport Parkway, Harpenden and St Albans, before a fast dash to West Hampstead. I was following the progress of both trains live on RTT and astonished we were not moved across onto the slow lines until Kentish Town!!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The problem is there is little capacity to switch Thameslink trains out of the way for late-running EMT services. I was on a Thameslink unit recently that had a late running EMT train coming in behind - but we were kept on the Up fast, to the the frustration the driver and passengers of that 222 - as we stopped Luton Airport Parkway, Harpenden and St Albans, before a fast dash to West Hampstead. I was following the progress of both trains live on RTT and astonished we were not moved across onto the slow lines until Kentish Town!!

Well you can only go Up Fast to Up slow at West Hampstead South or Carlton Road; West Hampstead box would never regulate an up Thameslink Fast to the Up Slow at Radlett because it would then end up behind a stopper and be a guaranteed 10 mins+ late, with predictable consequences once it gets to the Brighton Main Line.

What is perhaps unusual is that you were already on the Up Fast at Luton, and then called at the airport and Harpenden and St Albans. The standard off peak pattern is for up trains to cross slow to fast at Harpenden, whilst in the peak some run up fast line all the way from Bedford South Jn (there’s one or two that cross at Leagrave), but IIRC these all skip at least one of the airport and Harpenden.

FGW_DID

Established Member
Fair point.

I used a pair the other day, Reading to London, and they were on diesel. Is this still a regular thing?

Unfortunately so it would seem. Last week, according to a control update, there was only one unit with a ‘diesel only’ restriction on it. The list over the last couple of days is into double figures!

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
I don't know which GWR service from London to the North Cotswolds got terminated at Reading not long ago but the reason was no toilets working. Not a great reason but very understandable - toilet unreliability must have happened too often, assuming it was an 800 that this happened.

Why is it such new trains aren't reliable at working toilets at the moment? We seem to go from timetable problems to catering reliability and now to problems with the toilets on the 800's!

samuelmorris

Established Member
I don't know which GWR service from London to the North Cotswolds got terminated at Reading not long ago but the reason was no toilets working. Not a great reason but very understandable - toilet unreliability must have happened too often, assuming it was an 800 that this happened.

Why is it such new trains aren't reliable at working toilets at the moment? We seem to go from timetable problems to catering reliability and now to problems with the toilets on the 800's!
Toilets didn't need to be emptied on the HSTs, they emptied themselves onto the tracks. Now if the toilets aren't emptied often enough, they'll be out of service.

fgwrich

Established Member
Speaking of toilets, I've had to make use of a good number of sets over the past week for work. Of these (about 6), 4 had no water et all in the toilets and a lot of noticeable litter - has Hitachi reduced it's servicing remits of the 80X fleet of late?

While passing through Reading this morning on the way to the office, I noticed a pair of 800s (027/029) working a service to Penzance - was that due to units out of place or is there a booked 800 turn down there now?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
While passing through Reading this morning on the way to the office, I noticed a pair of 800s (027/029) working a service to Penzance - was that due to units out of place or is there a booked 800 turn down there now.

They seem to have worked 1203 London Paddington to Penzance and 1742 return. This was due to stock displacement after the events in Devon today (0541 Penzance to Paddington terminated at Exeter St Davids).

Booked 10-802.

800s will only usually work into Cornwall on an out and back trip from Paddington due to the restrictions on stabling locations in the train availability and reliability agreement.

II

Regarding IET toilets, there seems to be two separate faults which happen far too often and, with a simple reset, can be solved:

1) On the Univeral Access Toilets, the door closing mechanism isn't robust enough. If the train is on a adverse cant then the toilet door won't quite shut automatically, the system detects an error and the toilet puts itself 'out of service'. Sometimes that will rectify itself when the train is level again, and if not it can be rectified by staff using a 'T' Key to reset the door. A 'T' Key reset will also usually reset a door that's stuck partly open with an 'out of service message', usually caused by someone manually opening it after the fault above has occurred.

Here is a short video demonstrating what I mean regarding the cant issue, and how passengers can reset it themselves. Note that it will likely fail again whenever on a severe enough cant.

2) Toilet detects a 'pressure drop' and goes out of service. This can happen on both the Universal Access Toilets and Space Saver Toilets. This needs to be reset by staff using the toilet control panel 'reset' or 'v' buttons, but again that will often reset the system and it will work fine again. Many staff have not been told how to do this properly.

Fortunately, both faults should be able to be resolved by software or mechanical adjustments. The number of times a toilet tank is either full of waste or empty or water (even if it looks like it is) is actually quite low - though it does happen.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
This all just strikes me as very poor design - the software should surely attempt an automatic reset before it assumes things are wrong. In the cant case, it would make sense to attempt a reset, say, every 5 minutes, perhaps 5 times, before assuming the door is actually broken.

On Moderation
In this case it has nothing to do with the TOC. It is Agility Trains' responsibility to properly prepare the trains for use.
It is to do with the TOC - they are the ones who have the effects on their customers. Up to them to put pressure on the supplier and to use whatever contractual mechanisms that may be available to achieve that. GWR cannot abdicate responsibility and say “not our fault g’uv”.

stgls

Travelled from Bristol Parkway to Reading and back today and it seemed like a lot of the 80x were on diesel when they ought to have been on AC.
Both the outward and return journeys were on diesel, as were about 2/3rds of the 80x I saw passing through Reading whilst waiting for a connection.
Could there be some maintenance shenanigans going on?

Kite159

Veteran Member
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.