• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 800

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saj8

Anyone know which acess panels GW staff can abd cant acess in a train fault situation?
Train crew can access any panel that are locked with a standard square carriage key. Any with a similar looking, but hexagonal lock are for maintenance personnel only. The train also has various panels, along with cab doors and the Door Key Switch, that are secured by Kaba security locks, that have 3 levels of keying. I don't know if guards and drivers have the same or different levels, but management have the highest level for accessing stuff like the OTDR and CCTV, which guards and drivers can't access.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

irish_rail

Established Member
It seems the RMT have withdrawn agreement for front set lead customer hosts so expect 5 car sets or 10 cars with 5 locked out to become the norm until this is sorted.........

CMRail

It seems the RMT have withdrawn agreement for front set lead customer hosts so expect 5 car sets or 10 cars with 5 locked out to become the norm until this is sorted.........

RMT have no power over this and they signed this on a long term basis. FSL duties will continue with the Customer Host vice Ticket Examier, although TE is pefered option. RMT moan at lots and inconvenience passenger experience for the sake of so called safety, where as trained professionals feel safe in operation to myself.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
What is the regular method of operation? Is it driver release, guard close, or is it more like OBS?
I think it’s been known for many months that the method for running Thames Valley services that have already been DOO for many years is DOO...

superhands

It depends were the train is going and who is working the train, a five car to bedwyn/newbury and oxford can now be doo

Sapphire

Only one unit of 5 carriages instead of two because “hitachi are having problems with their trains”, so the train is packed and standing. Seems 1.5 carriages are 1st class and announced as 1st class ticket holders only. Should 1st have been declassified and what are the problems with these new (very uncomfortable even though lucky enough to get a seat) trains?

didcotdean

There are 36 first class seats in a 5 car IET. This is barely equivalent to a single carriage, let alone 1.5. The rest of the area in those carriages is taken up by the accessible toilet, wheelchair space and the kitchen and crew area (and the cab).

sprinterguy

Established Member
There are 36 first class seats in a 5 car IET. This is barely equivalent to a single carriage, let alone 1.5. The rest of the area in those carriages is taken up by the accessible toilet, wheelchair space and the kitchen and crew area (and the cab).
That still only leaves 3.5 carriages of standard class accommodation, though, whatever the space in the first class section of the train is occupied by.

pt_mad

Established Member
Drivers release the doors, train manager closes the doors. Drivers do also have cameras in the cab to check the train for departure (so DOO does work on the them)

Surely the DOO monitors will not display an image when it's on a diagram where the guard dispatches?

Goldfish62

Established Member
Surely the DOO monitors will not display an image when it's on a diagram where the guard dispatches?
I believe on SWR's Class 707s the DOO monitors are live even though they are guard operated. Got to be a good thing.

pt_mad

Established Member
I believe on SWR's Class 707s the DOO monitors are live even though they are guard operated. Got to be a good thing.

Oh right. So effectively the driver probably finds themselves doing the train safety check as well although presumably there's no obligation to?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Oh right. So effectively the driver probably finds themselves doing the train safety check as well although presumably there's no obligation to?

What's the harm in a quick glance before taking power? The guard is responsible, but it's just a higher-tech version of the driver looking back just before taking power, which some do when the cab has a window amenable to such use.

pt_mad

Established Member
What's the harm in a quick glance before taking power? The guard is responsible, but it's just a higher-tech version of the driver looking back just before taking power, which some do when the cab has a window amenable to such use.
Let's not go there on this thread lol. It's back in DOO debate terretory. Presumably the monitors aren't needed or intended to be used when the 800 works a guard dispatch route, it's just that they're on all the time I guess?

Established Member
800318 has departed Merchant Park this evening heading to Doncaster depot.

JohnMcL7

I saw a picture today of 66751 hauling 800001 (from 2015) without any barrier or brake vehicles, I understand some of the Europhoenix 37's have been adapted to be able to be able to haul EMU's as can the 57/3's but was wondering how the 66 was doing it?

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I saw a picture today of 66751 hauling 800001 (from 2015) without any barrier or brake vehicles, I understand some of the Europhoenix 37's have been adapted to be able to be able to haul EMU's as can the 57/3's but was wondering how the 66 was doing it?

66751 was specially adapted to haul class 800's.

Only one unit of 5 carriages instead of two because “hitachi are having problems with their trains”, so the train is packed and standing. Seems 1.5 carriages are 1st class and announced as 1st class ticket holders only. Should 1st have been declassified and what are the problems with these new (very uncomfortable even though lucky enough to get a seat) trains?

A problem that was unavoidable, a fatality at Oldfield Park last night involving 1C28, by the time BTP released the two units from quarantine, there wasn’t time to do the clean and post fatality checks, so 2x5 cars out of action at no fault of GWR or Hitachi.

Established Member
I've spent a lot more time than usual on GWR IETs over the last three days and I can't say that I've learned to love them any more.

- two out of three services short formed down from 10 to 5 due to 'maintenance'. No reservations and a lot of standing.

- one failed toilet flush but seemingly no means of it putting itself out of service even with all the tech on board. You can imagine the scene.

- mentioned upthread - a shocking early deterioration in seat cushions with obvious staining and bagging cloth. Funnily enough several years ago I was invited to test dummy IET seats at King's Cross and my main message put on the man's form was 'don't use flat cloth and don't use unpatterned cloth, both are terrible for staining and obvious bagging.' Great that they took my advice...

- I think that they're already noisier than a mk3 in good order.

- Maybe this is my imagination, but is a full carriage much slower to empty of passengers than a full mk3? Station dwell times on the overcrowded trains were terrible with each stop creating a couple of minutes of extra late running, so a Weston to Paddington service which arrived in Bristol on time completed its journey 15 minutes late with the only cause being each station stop being very drawn out.

- one bonus is that I haven't wasted money on First Class at all. It's a good job because it was declassified on the two overcrowded services.

Still early days, but really not great as a three trip sample.

Envoy

Established Member
If the seats are stained - I would certainly want to know about it! Perhaps they have chosen these cheap seats so that they can easily rip them out and replace? That being so, one would think that all seats would be in top notch condition?

Somebody had filmed the first run from Plymouth to Penzance. I noticed that a woman was sitting with her feet up on the seat opposite. I think that action should be taken against people who think that it is acceptable to have smelly feet/ dirty shoes on seats.
Animals should also not be allowed onto seats.

Last edited:

Established Member
If the seats are stained - I would certainly want to know about it! Perhaps they have chosen these cheap seats so that they can easily rip them out and replace? That being so, one would think that all seats would be in top notch condition?

Somebody had filmed the first run from Plymouth to Penzance. I noticed that a woman was sitting with her feet up on the seat opposite. I think that action should be taken against people who think that it is acceptable to have smelly feet/ dirty shoes on seats.
Animals should also not be allowed onto seats.
The stains I saw on more than one seat were clearly caused by spillage of drinks or possibly food, nothing to do with feet. This is exactly what I could see coming when the guy showed me the dummy at King's Cross.

Status
Not open for further replies.