GWR Cornish Night Riviera Sleeper and GWR Class 57 updates from Long Rock

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by co-tr-paul, 8 Mar 2016.

1. 83G/84D

83G/84D Established Member

Not too far from goongumpas treacle mine!
    Thank you for the explanation.

2. Geoff DC

Geoff DC Member

OUCH - No HST available ??

3. co-tr-paul

co-tr-paul Member

Only have a daily run out of 2 and none on depot in time for departure. Was going to happen at some point.
    Cab electrical problems.
    Empties going up 0915 from depot.

Last edited: 14 May 2019
  4. co-tr-paul

co-tr-paul Member

57604 leading.

5. Bungle965

Bungle965 Established Member

Have they come to an arrangement then with Hitachi about using the IEP's when the sleepers go kaput then?
    Sam

6. co-tr-paul

co-tr-paul Member

Always been able to use an 802 as not part of deal with dft
    Don't know what latest is regarding 800/801s.

7. Bungle965

Ah! Yes of course it's the 800/801s that's the issue.
    Sam

8. Geoff DC

Geoff DC Member

It wouldn't be too difficult to have a 2 + 5 (With Buffet) Castle GTI to substitute for the sleeper

Class 800(1/2) commuter stock from PZ to London is taking the ****

9. 43096

43096 Established Member

Really? So you’re going to have an extra set sat around just on the off-chance the sleeper fails? Given that the sleeper is a basket-case financially, putting a load more cost in is the last thing needed.

10. Geoff DC

Geoff DC Member

Yes Jimm (43096) - THe 2 + 5 (With Buffet) Castle GTI would be in regular service

Hopefully, eventually, there will be some 2 + 8s as well to stand in for the Sushi plastic S&M 800 punishment stock

11. co-tr-paul

co-tr-paul Member

It actually made a small profit last year ! Custom is growing year on year. I have to take my first trip on an iet on Friday...... !! :(

12. 43096

43096 Established Member

No chance.

13. 43096

43096 Established Member

A profit on what basis, though? After subsidy is included?

14. co-tr-paul

co-tr-paul Member

Apparently so. I must admit though, the conversation was afew months back and I didn't pay attention as myself or our team try not to do politics; as we "only" prep the train !

15. Sleepy

Sleepy Member

Witnessed some very unhappy passengers at St Erth when it rolled into view ! Normally GWR will ring up the number given when you booked to offer hotel & day train next morning if travel on HST/IET is not acceptable. I gather this failure was not declared until aprox. 2030 so limiting time to contact everyone. Are any Cornish stations apart from Penzance / Truro staffed until up Sleeper departs does anyone know ? (also are Sleeper Lounge hosts at Penzance & Truro able to organise accommodation etc.)

16. HamworthyGoods

HamworthyGoods Member

Redruth is staffed until after Sleeper departure I think that’s the only one except for Penzance and Truro.

17. irish_rail

irish_rail Established Member

57603 been a dog for a while now. I think it's a safe bet the new franchise will come with new locos

18. father_jack

father_jack Member

I certainly don't think "Jimm" or "43096" are the same fiend :lol::lol::lol:

19. Bungle965

Without wanting to start up the rumour mill, I imagine it'll be 67s? DRS are attempting to essentially wash their hands of passenger work.
    Sam

20. co-tr-paul

co-tr-paul Member

As mentioned way back, refurb designed to last 10 years so when next long term franchise is announced I expect it will be a requirement for new stock during the first quarter. That will be the time for newer traction. Until then, its GWR 57s and DRS rescue contract.

21. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

When's that due? With the CAF Mk5 being the only viable option for that, the order will need to go in before the production line closes. Though I have a feeling TPE will end up lengthening their sets so it'll be open for a bit yet.

22. co-tr-paul

co-tr-paul Member

Believe it or not but I currently can't remember when our current franchise ends..... :) ! I'm sure someone will post !

23. broadgage

broadgage Established Member

A nice idea, but firstly the castle class HSTs are standard class only, and have no buffet.
    GWR have gone to a lot of trouble to try and convince us that buffets are obsolete and no longer wanted or needed. Re-instating a buffet on a 40 year old train would be seen as an admission of defeat.

Interesting to see that I am not alone in considering the IETs as basically a commuter train and thus unsuited to inter city use.

24. Puppetfinger

Puppetfinger Member

Out of interest can Long Rock now accommodate 10 car IET's? Seem to recall in the past reading that the formation was just a bit too long.

In last few weeks have travelled down on a 10 car unit which is (according to RTT at least) due to stable overnight in Long Rock. First time it split at Plymouth with the back half going to Laira, but on Tuesday the whole thing went to Penzance, and a quick look on RTT didnt show any workings back to Plymouth / Laira after its arrival, but showed the set going to Long Rock.

25. co-tr-paul

co-tr-paul Member

Either split or had cars sticking out of ends of B road - this is where fuelled/sleuced/water points are for IETs but only big enough for 5 car. Sidings are not big enough as block foot crossing/points so may have been cleaned on B ?

26. pdeaves

pdeaves Established Member

March 2022 but there is an option for a further two years.

27. Puppetfinger

Puppetfinger Member

Ah didn't think of that, thanks. Been a while since I been down and stood on the car park wall and had a look!

28. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

So I was on the seated sleeper last night to Truro (hello anyone else who might have been - there were only about 4 other people!)

TBH I found the seats to be pretty decent. Having a double seat (is it ever busy enough that you don't for the overnight section?) it was much easier to curl up into a contorted but comfortable-ish sort-of-lying-down position (I might be big but being a climber I'm also quite bendy) and get a *bit* of kip than it is in a single seat in a First Class layout, certainly one with fixed armrests as I think they had before. I did consider a berth, but I probably wouldn't have got any more kip for my £70.

I do recognise they won't be particularly good for those who can sleep sitting up in a reclined position though - I can't, I just can't get comfortable like that.

It's also a VERY high quality job - probably the highest quality Mk3 refurb I've seen yet, and the lighting, if a little bright for an overnighter, is a really nice job - again the best I've seen in any Mk3.

Well done whoever did them - was it in-house at Long Rock?

29. 43096

43096 Established Member

Wolverton.

30. Clarence Yard

Clarence Yard Member

No! The current franchise ends in March 2020.

A further direct award for 2 years (+ up to a further 2 years) is being bid for right now.