• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR in Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

tivoli

Recently visited Liverpool, and noticed old building in dock area bearing GWR sign. I believe GWR reached Birkinhead and would have been interested in sea traffic from the Mersey but did they actually run trains into Liverpool?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Phoenix

Established Member
Recently visited Liverpool, and noticed old building in dock area bearing GWR sign. I believe GWR reached Birkinhead and would have been interested in sea traffic from the Mersey but did they actually run trains into Liverpool?

I know exactly what your talking about it looks like a good depot doesn't it but now it's just the building by itself I was quite confused when I seen it thought it may have been transplanted there.

murphmanz

I might be able to help here. The GWR building that you are referring to is a shed that served the Manchester Dock. Manchester Dock was (confusingly) a small dock in Liverpool built around 1785 that no longer exists.

The shed was never used by trains as such, as Manchester Dock was used by boats carrying goods across the River Mersey between the Liverpool docks and the railways in Birkenhead.

By 1872 all of Manchester Dock's quayside space had been appropriated by London and North Western Railway Co. (representing Shropshire Union Railway and Canal Co., GWR and Birkenhead Joint Lines). The dock closed in 1928 and was in-filled with spoil from the construction of the Mersey Tunnel.

I know a little bit about Liverpool's docks, but nothing about Birkenhead's rail arrangements and if anyone knows how goods were transferred from boat to train on that side of the river I'd be interested to here.

Last edited:

Many companies had their own bonded warehouses in ports. The other companies would transport cargo in the company wagons and charge said company for transport. So it may have been possible to work in Glasgow or Hull and still be employed by the GWR

Status
Not open for further replies.