• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Intercity Express Train (IEP) initial diagrams & allocations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D1009

Established Member
I notice Bristol Parkway is blocked on Saturdays and Sundays from 4 to 19 November. Anyone know what effect this will have on the IET operations from Stoke Gifford? I'm aware there is an access from the depot at the Patchway end, but I'm not sure whether it is available for use

Starmill

Veteran Member
IET - T - the P stands for project. You’re not getting on a project you’re getting on a train.

Intercity Express Train (IET) is just branding given to them by Great Western Railway. Intercity Express Programme (IEP) is the name given to the scheme by the Department for Transport. The name given to them by Hitachi (or more accurately Agility Trains) was Super Express Train (SET). All of these terms fly around synonymously along with the Virgin Trains East Coast's branding for them 'Azuma'. They are also members of the A-Train familly and at the very least the 802s have had the name 'AT300' applied to them, although the 800s and 801s seemed to predate this numbering slightly so it's not often used in relation to them.

My personal preference that I think makes it most clear what I'm talking about is '80x' or, spoken out loud, 'eight hundred series train' - this is however rather clunky, but the nomenclature of these trains seems to have taken on a mind of its own and grown in a way that has rarely been seen before.

DidcotDickie

Reported elsewhere by a reliable GWR source that there will be no 800 workings at weekends for the immediate future. So the two diagrams planned for the 28/29th October won't happen, they'll be HSTs.

Class 33

Established Member
I'm booked on the 0930 Bristol Temple Meads-London Paddington service in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it! Just hope it is actually a Class 800 and not an HST!

I haven't made any bookings for any of the weekend services intending to get a journey or two on Class 800's. As I am/was a bit sceptical of the weekend diagrams on here, due to the fact that services on weekends can vary a little(or a lot) every weekend.

D1009

Established Member
Just observed an IET depart Temple Meads working 1T35 2200 Bristol to Chippenham, so it looks as though there are already STP diagrams!

FGW_DID

Established Member
What does STP mean?

Short Term Plan I believe.

Other abbreviations you may see in association with diagrams:

WTT: Working Time Table
VAR: Variation to the published schedule in the WTT
LTP: Long Term Plan
STP: Short Term Plan (additional services at short notice usually issued a week or two in advance)
VSTP: Very Short Notice Plan. Usually submitted on the day.

D1009

Established Member

STP: Short Term Plan (additional services at short notice usually issued a week or two in advance)
Well done on that always conscious not everyone is familiar with the acronyms. A study of RTT should help get heads round it.

spark001uk

Established Member

You forgot the most popular one - CAN.! ;)

jopsuk

Veteran Member
They are also members of the A-Train familly and at the very least the 802s have had the name 'AT300' applied to them, although the 800s and 801s seemed to predate this numbering slightly so it's not often used in relation to them..
Hitachi now consider the Class 395 to also be part of the AT300 range, as can be seen here

Starmill

Veteran Member
Hitachi now consider the Class 395 to also be part of the AT300 range, as can be seen here

Yes, precisely! And yet few people will refer to them thus because that wasn't what they were called when they were new. But this does demonstrate the whole nonsense of the nomenclature for these trains.

spark001uk

Established Member
How are the two weekday diagrams running now, good? Or still one or two teething troubles?

ValleyLines142

Established Member
How are the two weekday diagrams running now, good? Or still one or two teething troubles?

I got the 1055 Cardiff to Paddington on Monday, which actually started from Newport at 1108 but that was due to signalling problems.

800009+800008 were the units. In fairness to them they were smooth throughout.

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I got the 1055 Cardiff to Paddington on Monday, which actually started from Newport at 1108 but that was due to signalling problems.

800009+800008 were the units. In fairness to them they were smooth throughout xxxx

Surprised at you Dan - Post #282:lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.