• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR proposal to run a class 387 from Cardiff on weekday evenings from December 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

JN114

Established Member
First 387s in passenger service to Cardiff today -

9B14 1213 London Paddington to Cardiff Central

returns as

9L23 1441 Cardiff Central to London Paddington

8 car 387 with 7167 on the London End of the formation and 7148 at the Country End

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
First 387s in passenger service to Cardiff today -

9B14 1213 London Paddington to Cardiff Central

returns as

9L23 1441 Cardiff Central to London Paddington

8 car 387 with 7167 on the London End of the formation and 7148 at the Country End

Seems to have run pretty smoothly if RealTimeTrains is anything to go by

JN114

Established Member
I was onboard Paddington - Cardiff - Swindon with a couple of GWR colleagues, didn't miss a beat for all we could see.

Reasonably well loaded, particularly Newport to Cardiff on the down leg.

Many boarding at Newport were very impressed with the "new" train :lol:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I was onboard Paddington - Cardiff - Swindon with a couple of GWR colleagues, didn't miss a beat for all we could see.

Not gonna lie, I considerably prefer 800s to 387s especially with the Intercity layout, so I wouldn’t have been thrilled for that to turn up.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Not gonna lie, I considerably prefer 800s to 387s especially with the Intercity layout, so I wouldn’t have been thrilled for that to turn up.

Ive also found the ride to be a bit more “wild” on a 387. It’s not necessarily silky smooth on an 80x, but it’s still noticeably worse in my view.

Envoy

Established Member

All very well for the short hop from Newport to Cardiff but 387’s with their ironing board seats are not suitable for long distance travel. The public would be well advised to avoid these services for longer trips. (The top speed of 110 mph will also make the journeys longer than the 125 mph Class 800’s).

Last edited:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I also make use of first class on these journeys so that’s another lack I’d find annoying

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation

How many coaches are regularly used when its 387's? There was 12 some time ago but are these now 8 coaches when 9 and 10-car IET's mostly get used?

JN114

Established Member
How many coaches are regularly used when its 387's? There was 12 some time ago but are these now 8 coaches when 9 and 10-car IET's mostly get used?

8 for these daily runs, and 8 will remain the limit for the time being due to SDO issues to resolve at Newport.

It’s replaced a shoulder-AM-peak Cardiff which, back in the day, was 5-800

Kite159

Veteran Member
I also make use of first class on these journeys so that’s another lack I’d find annoying

I assume the 387 operated services will be advertised as "First Class Not Available" at Cardiff/Newport? (Not sure if it was advertised like that at Bristol/Swindon for the last few months they have been running)

What is the number of seats on a 8-coach 387 compared to a 9 coach IET (or even a 10 coach IET)?

----------

Hopefully I can give the 387s a try in Wales at some-point, from memory there is engineering works for the next few weekends. Just for the novelty factor.

GW43125

Established Member
All very well for the short hop from Newport to Cardiff but 387’s with their ironing board seats are not suitable for long distance travel. The public would be well advised to avoid these services for longer trips.
Conversely, I find the 387s very well suited for the King's Lynn services, and a run to Cardiff is only around 20 minutes longer than King's Lynn.

It's not ideal, mind, nor would I want to spend much longer than that on one, but it's hardly a disaster.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
I assume the 387 operated services will be advertised as "First Class Not Available" at Cardiff/Newport? (Not sure if it was advertised like that at Bristol/Swindon for the last few months they have been running)

What is the number of seats on a 8-coach 387 compared to a 9 coach IET (or even a 10 coach IET)?

----------

Hopefully I can give the 387s a try in Wales at some-point, from memory there is engineering works for the next few weekends. Just for the novelty factor.
Each 4-car 387 has 224 seats (8 coaches, 448 and 12 coaches 672).

A 9-car IET has 647 seats (71 are First Class). A 10-car set has 652 seats (72 are First Class).

nmsq

Just to clarify that there is no speed advantage for an 800 after Bristol Parkway (top speed 95) and effectively Westerleigh allowing for the slowing down for Parkway.

ValleyLines142

Established Member

----------

I've gone completely blank but do the 387s have first class? Albeit literally just a separate compartment with a cloth that says first class, I suppose technically first class is still available so no, they wouldn't advertise it as not available, but then you'd wait for an 800 instead which has full first class facilities.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've gone completely blank but do the 387s have first class? Albeit literally just a separate compartment with a cloth that says first class, I suppose technically first class is still available so no, they wouldn't advertise it as not available, but then you'd wait for an 800 instead which has full first class facilities.

The GWR class 387s do not have first class accommodation.

Parallel

Established Member

Probably not, at stations, GWR services are normally announced as
First Class accommodation can be found in zones (X and Y)

Where first class is not available, they’ll just usually tell you which part of the platform the train stops on.

Acton1991

The GWR class 387s do not have first class accommodation.
Although I feel like they have a separate section at the end of each set that’s glassed off with an automatic door - is this incase of First Class in the future?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Although I feel like they have a separate section at the end of each set that’s glassed off with an automatic door - is this incase of First Class in the future?
It is just the way the later 377s, 379s and 387s are specified. They all have the same partition in the same place as a standard part of the design.

Dren Ahmeti

Just to clarify that there is no speed advantage for an 800 after Bristol Parkway (top speed 95) and effectively Westerleigh allowing for the slowing down for Parkway.
And actually, you would have an acceleration advantage after Severn Tunnel Junction etc…

Signal_Box

Overall it’ll probably be cheaper to use conventionally leased 387s on the IEP contract diagrams than the 800s, and accept the slight extension of running times.

irish_rail

Established Member
Overall it’ll probably be cheaper to use conventionally leased 387s on the IEP contract diagrams than the 800s, and accept the slight extension of running times.
One would hope the Welsh government t would have something to say about this. Downgrading of a service from intercity standard to commuter standard isn't really on. Ok its happened on London to Norwich , but London to Cardiff is about 2 hours or more isn't it? So that's comparable with London to Liverpool, Manchester or Leeds. Can't see those services being switched to commuter stock anytime soon....

43102EMR

Established Member
One would hope the Welsh government t would have something to say about this. Downgrading of a service from intercity standard to commuter standard isn't really on. Ok its happened on London to Norwich , but London to Cardiff is about 2 hours or more isn't it? So that's comparable with London to Liverpool, Manchester or Leeds. Can't see those services being switched to commuter stock anytime soon....
Minus “Norwich in 90” services, it’s the same length timing wise - it could even be argued that there are some occasions where the journey time between London and Norwich is slightly longer by a few minutes…

irish_rail

Established Member
Minus “Norwich in 90” services, it’s the same length timing wise - it could even be argued that there are some occasions where the journey time between London and Norwich is slightly longer by a few minutes.
And it should never have been commuterised either. Id also argue though that London to Cardiff connects the capital of England and Wales and also serves Bristol and Reading, so rather more important than the London to Norwich route.

Status
Not open for further replies.