• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR proposal to run a class 387 from Cardiff on weekday evenings from December 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

JN114

Established Member
12s are not currently permitted due to SDO issues at Newport - work is underway to resolve this but it wasn’t going to be completed, validated etc in time for 6 nations.

There are Cardiff events later in the year where 12 cars are intended to be used; and the works to enable this are on track to be completed for then.

Presently the post-events strategy is to use 387s on what traditionally were TfW-operated Newport shuttles, to free up DMUs for Valleys, Marches etc. IETs still handle the bulk of post-match Bristol/London traffic which isn’t necessarily the primary destinations of event goers.

6 nations shuttles will show how well this goes, and whether that new strategy works.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It seems silly to launch a new thread for this question, so I might as well ask it on a 387 thread:

Is 387174 actually ever in service? I've not seen it allocated for weeks, anyone know what the score is with that?

cactustwirly

Established Member
It seems silly to launch a new thread for this question, so I might as well ask it on a 387 thread:

Is 387174 actually ever in service? I've not seen it allocated for weeks, anyone know what the score is with that?

Have you been looking at Weekday peaks?
There are a lot of peak only diagrams on the 387 services.

FGW_DID

Established Member

387174 is at Ilford for repairs (post fatality)

JN114

Established Member
Not always during the peaks, admittedly more often than not I look in the early mornings and at lunchtime but not after that.

If you’re looking at RTT or the ilk for unit allocations - generally speaking for GWR Thames Valley the units get allocated in 3 batches through the day - the majority getting done around 0300-0400 of a morning, the afternoon departures off depot(s) are done around 1400-1500, and the late evening departures appear around 2100-2200.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
387174 is at Ilford for repairs (post fatality)

I see, I did not know that was the case. Thank you for that, most appreciated :) I will stop looking for the time being then.

If you’re looking at RTT or the ilk for unit allocations - generally speaking for GWR Thames Valley the units get allocated in 3 batches through the day - the majority getting done around 0300-0400 of a morning, the afternoon departures off depot(s) are done around 1400-1500, and the late evening departures appear around 2100-2200.

Fair enough, good to know :) 387174 is my last of the GWR Thames Valley stuff I want for now, until of course the 769s begin service.

43 302

Established Member
9B25 1801 Swindon to Newport is a footex today running non-stop with 387142 + 387149.

43 302

Established Member
I'm guessing there was an event on somewhere, hence this being an 8-car 387.
Hence "footex". Taking Newport fans home after the game.

Update 14/4/22:
387301 + 165 worked 9B31 1918 PAD - CDF vice an 800 on 1B31 PAD - SWA due to no 800 driver being available.

Last edited:

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Hence "footex". Taking Newport fans home after the game.

Update 14/4/22:
387301 + 165 worked 9B31 1918 PAD - CDF vice an 800 on 1B31 PAD - SWA due to no 800 driver being available.

It would be harder to find an 387 driver that signs both the route and traction all the way to Cardiff as opposed to an IET driver, so that surprises me!

43 302

Established Member
It would be harder to find an 387 driver that signs both the route and traction all the way to Cardiff as opposed to an IET driver, so that surprises me!
Not that hard, there's a whole depot of them at Swindon!

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Not that hard, there's a whole depot of them at Swindon!

Yes, but its not a huge depot and the vast majority will already have work one presumes. As opposed to Paddington, Bristol Parkway/TM, Swansea, Cardiff that all sign the route!

43 302

Established Member
And a daily 387 working to Cardiff to keep their route knowledge current.
Indeed, I note 9L13 today was 387306 + 154.

Yes, but its not a huge depot and the vast majority will already have work one presumes. As opposed to Paddington, Bristol Parkway/TM, Swansea, Cardiff that all sign the route!
Well it worked out in this case! It wasn't a control decision, HSS informed control 387 vice or cancelled. Seeing as it was full and standing into Bristol Parkway I'd say the right decision was made!

nmsq

A very flexible depot though

JN114

Established Member
Well it worked out in this case! It wasn't a control decision, HSS informed control 387 vice or cancelled. Seeing as it was full and standing into Bristol Parkway I'd say the right decision was made!

Strictly there was still a cancellation…

HSS division asked LTV division if we could run a relief train as they were going to cancel the 1918 Swansea; with nearly 600 reserved on board and nearly 400 on the following Swansea.

LTV Division freed up a driver who could drive a 387 to Cardiff; but to provide stock the 1850 Paddington - Didcot ended up Cancelled. By sheer luck the rostered train manager for the 1918 signed 387s and needed to get home so we didn’t have to scrap around for a spare guard as well.

With more time, perhaps the 1850 could have been “saved” but it was all arranged too late in the day so the spare 387s to run it wouldn’t have gotten to London in time.

So there was a bit of robbing Peter, but given the reinstated “Swansea” was absolutely full to the rafters; and there was little noticeable impact on the other semi-fast Didcots or TfL services that the ex-1850 passengers would have ended up on; it was the right call in my book.

Plus, the HSS division controller now owes me several vodkas at the next staff drinks!

43 302

Established Member
Strictly there was still a cancellation…

HSS division asked LTV division if we could run a relief train as they were going to cancel the 1918 Swansea; with nearly 600 reserved on board and nearly 400 on the following Swansea.

LTV Division freed up a driver who could drive a 387 to Cardiff; but to provide stock the 1850 Paddington - Didcot ended up Cancelled. By sheer luck the rostered train manager for the 1918 signed 387s and needed to get home so we didn’t have to scrap around for a spare guard as well.

With more time, perhaps the 1850 could have been “saved” but it was all arranged too late in the day so the spare 387s to run it wouldn’t have gotten to London in time.

So there was a bit of robbing Peter, but given the reinstated “Swansea” was absolutely full to the rafters; and there was little noticeable impact on the other semi-fast Didcots or TfL services that the ex-1850 passengers would have ended up on; it was the right call in my book.

Plus, the HSS division controller now owes me several vodkas at the next staff drinks!
Thanks for the detailed reply.

londontransit

Have the C2C 387s ever been to Cardiff? I imagine its very unlikely but wondered as spotted the one full C2C unit 387306 (no GWR logos added) at Old Oak this pm on the 14.37 from Didcot to Paddington, these and the through Newbury duties which they've begun recently.

londontransit

Just looked through RTT and it did West Ealing - Paddington, then from there to Cardiff (plus Cardiff sidings and back) then back to Paddington to do a couple of Newburys and finally one to Reading.

Today its been on Didcots all day.

And that wasn't the first one either!
LOL thanks. Which C2C unit?

JN114

Established Member
Just looked through RTT and it did West Ealing - Paddington, then from there to Cardiff (plus Cardiff sidings and back) then back to Paddington to do a couple of Newburys and finally one to Reading.

Today its been on Didcots all day.

LOL thanks. Which C2C unit?

I think all 3 have been to Cardiff now; the first was on the first weekend of them being allowed to run in passenger service coupled to a standard GWR unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.