• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR - Trainee Train Driver (Talent Pool) - Bristol/Westbury (27/02/23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LKS

If it's a holding pool I assume they aren't rushing :smile:

Wonder if anyone here has knowledge to decifer this? Did a group bourdon test this morning (at silly o clock on my phone at work)

How can I work out where it's calculating my score so I can work on it? I know that attempt wasn't good enough to pass but just trying to see where it sat.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230318_050136_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230318_050136_com.android.chrome.jpg
    679.6 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

Diedinium

That’s correct. Assuming FirstGroup use the same method for GWR as they do for SWR, the initial sifting consists of whittling down the scores in the initial online assessments so only the higher scorers are progressed to the next stage. This is done by recruitment.
So if we got the update email about the application being "under review" (with the hiring manager) does that mean we made it past this initial sift, or is that what's happening now?

Wonder if anyone here has knowledge to decifer this? Did a group bourdon test this morning (at silly o clock on my phone at work)

How can I work out where it's calculating my score so I can work on it? I know that attempt wasn't good enough to pass but just trying to see where it sat.
Pay attention to that "V" and "K" parameter - V is the speed (characters per minute), and K is the accuracy, you can find how your score compares on that table at the bottom by finding which of the "Very low" to "High" they fall under.

Stigy

Established Member
So if we got the update email about the application being "under review" (with the hiring manager) does that mean we made it past this initial sift, or is that what's happening now?

Pay attention to that "V" and "K" parameter - V is the speed (characters per minute), and K is the accuracy, you can find how your score compares on that table at the bottom by finding which of the "Very low" to "High" they fall under.
If your correspondence states your application is now with the hiring manager and that comes after you’ve completed the initial online assessments, it should mean you’ve met the standard at that stage, however, it may just be an acknowledgment that you have completed that part of the process. It’s not worded very well really.

Deea

Thank you for this ! I was also struggling to understand the score.

LKS

Thank you. It was knowing what the relevant numbers were to look at. I'll try again when I'm not 3/4 through a night shift.

Has anyone here also applied for trainee at Cross Country
in Plymouth?

Last edited:

BA11Eagle

Hi all,

After reading all the posts I can see that I am in the same boat as many of you, I have received the email saying that my application is under review on the 14th of March.

I just wanted to ask two questions, firstly, does anyone know the recruitment process well? As in the different stages of the process. I've seen old posts on previous forum posts where there had been two stages of assessment days before going onto an interview and then a medical. Has this changed as I saw on this post that internals' were going straight to an interview? I would just like to get some clarity of the process as the wait is killing me!

Secondly, could you please tell me your preferences of depot? As I live currently in Frome I have highlighted 1. Westbury and 2. Bristol. My dad is also a signalman at Westbury and I know two guys who operate out of Westbury already so seemed the obvious order.

Thank you for reading and I really appreciate any help!

BA11Eagle

windnoise69

Bristol trainees will sign IETs from the start. Westbury will have more “mileage” and more long distance work. Kinda depends what you fancy.

Living in Frome however Westbury would prob be better for you as you’ll have less distance to commute.

BA11Eagle

Bristol trainees will sign IETs from the start. Westbury will have more “mileage” and more long distance work. Kinda depends what you fancy.

Living in Frome however Westbury would prob be better for you as you’ll have less distance to commute.
Apologies, I think my question might have got a bit confusing, I want to be in Westbury, I just wondered how everyone else here had settled their preferences.

Reply to my post with:

etc.

Ospreysboy

Hi all

This is my first post but I’ve been keeping an eye on the thread. I’ve just submitted my application for Bristol and have received an email regarding the initial driver assessments. It also says that, if successful, I’ll receive another email with a further assessment.

Would anyone be able to clarify what these initial assessments are, and point me in the direction of any prep materials please? This is my first application for a driver role.

LKS

I'm guessing they are the online ones which will be accessible through the first careers profile you set up :D

Good luck!

MrPointment

Hi all

This is my first post but I’ve been keeping an eye on the thread. I’ve just submitted my application for Bristol and have received an email regarding the initial driver assessments. It also says that, if successful, I’ll receive another email with a further assessment.

Would anyone be able to clarify what these initial assessments are, and point me in the direction of any prep materials please? This is my first application for a driver role.
The first is a situational judgement test. You'll be presented with scenarios that you may be faced when working as a train driver. You will have to pick a course of action from 4 possibles provided. Not as simple as it sounds, some of them you look at and there are multiple options which you might deem acceptable, sometimes all four, so you have to pick what you consider to be the best one. If you score high enough on that one, you will within minutes be automatically sent a link for the error checking test. That involves tables of information you have to read through and you will be asked to declare whether there are errors in the specific tables of information relevant to the question you're being asked. This is timed.
If you don't receive your invitation to do the error checking test within minutes of completing the situational judgement, you didn't pass the SJT and are effectively out of the running. No pressure, buddy. Enjoy.

Hi all,

After reading all the posts I can see that I am in the same boat as many of you, I have received the email saying that my application is under review on the 14th of March.

I just wanted to ask two questions, firstly, does anyone know the recruitment process well? As in the different stages of the process. I've seen old posts on previous forum posts where there had been two stages of assessment days before going onto an interview and then a medical. Has this changed as I saw on this post that internals' were going straight to an interview? I would just like to get some clarity of the process as the wait is killing me!

Secondly, could you please tell me your preferences of depot? As I live currently in Frome I have highlighted 1. Westbury and 2. Bristol. My dad is also a signalman at Westbury and I know two guys who operate out of Westbury already so seemed the obvious order.

Thank you for reading and I really appreciate any help!

BA11Eagle
I looked at the FAQ attachment which comes with the job listing. It says there are 2 assessment days in Swindon for those who successfully make it that far. The first one is all the remaining tests, the second one is a multi modal interview. Get past both of those and I believe it goes to a depot manager interview.

LKS

Anyone else getting nervy? Checking inbox all the time?

Maybe knowing this is my last chance it's eating away a bit more. Something you want to do but fear that actually making it to assessment centre means it's either the end of the road or not.

Stigy

Established Member

Maybe knowing this is my last chance it's eating away a bit more. Something you want to do but fear that actually making it to assessment centre means it's either the end of the road or not.
I’ve had a look at your posting history (not in a stalkerish way lol) and see hit failed the assessments in 2012? It was either 2011 or 2013 that the assessments were re-introduced, wiping any previous attempts…can’t recall the exact date though. I’m going rusty.

Deea

Yes I do that a lot , also checking this thread for news

LKS

I’ve had a look at your posting history (not in a stalkerish way lol) and see hit failed the assessments in 2012? It was either 2011 or 2013 that the assessments were re-introduced, wiping any previous attempts…can’t recall the exact date though. I’m going rusty.
Haha! Yes it was 2012 I applied and didn't pass assessment. Went to Newport for the day.

Not sure how much has changed since then, although I do remember I didn't have to do online SJTs on application...

So is there a chance that it has been wiped and this looks like application no.1?

387star

On Moderation
Haha! Yes it was 2012 I applied and didn't pass assessment. Went to Newport for the day.

Not sure how much has changed since then, although I do remember I didn't have to do online SJTs on application...

So is there a chance that it has been wiped and this looks like application no.1?
The assessments are much easier now hence few fail them

Stigy

Established Member

There is a chance you have two fresh lives, yes. Annoyingly I can’t remember if it was 2011 or 2013. If the latter, you will have taken the older style psychometrics and thus any failure at them, are now not applicable.

LKS

The assessments are much easier now hence few fail them
When you say easier?..

Don't get me wrong. I know full well I didn't prepare enough for them. This time, I'm doing everything I can before I even know if I've got to the next stage. Not making that same mistake twice. I've found a online group bourdon test to keep going at (can't yet get it to print or find printable ones in Google images) and going through videos of the computer test, but how has it changed compared to what I did in 2012?

There is a chance you have two fresh lives, yes. Annoyingly I can’t remember if it was 2011 or 2013. If the latter, you will have taken the older style psychometrics and thus any failure at them, are now not applicable.
I seem to remember it’s 2013, best way is to check with OPC?
I do hope so!

Azzer88

I’m wondering the same mate??! Haha I got more errors than you like.

Attachments

• CDB7FD7F-56A2-46E1-93CB-408C1D8D00AD.png
    CDB7FD7F-56A2-46E1-93CB-408C1D8D00AD.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 70

Carl01

Well I guess I've passed the two initial online assessments as I've had the e-mail saying I am now with the Hiring Manager, but it may take some time to hear if I've been successful for the next stage as there are a lot of applicants.

Keeping fingers crossed I get to the next stage, but we shall wait and see I guess. I'm sure a lot of people have had the same as me.

J3053B

I applied internally and only had the hiring manager email last week. Unfortunately recently failed wafv with a foc so I’m hoping that due to the nature of this being a pool it does take a fair bit longer or they say I can just sit the WAFV then hopefully the Mmi when my 6 months has elapsed!

BA11Eagle

Does anyone know if the Bourdon test will be paper based or computer based at the assessment day?

I find it harder to complete on the computer than I do paper version so I was just wondering which way it would be.

Deea

For the group bourbon test, what score you should reach to be successful and go to next stage in recruitment? Is it average or above average?

Does anyone know if the Bourdon test will be paper based or computer based at the assessment day?

I find it harder to complete on the computer than I do paper version so I was just wondering which way it would be.
I think it’s paper

BA11Eagle

Just did a Bourdon Test online, is this any good?

Attachments

• 40FC5CB1-CC7A-4519-8994-5C423357BECD.jpeg
    40FC5CB1-CC7A-4519-8994-5C423357BECD.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 36

LKS

In 2012 it was paper

Just did a Bourdon Test online, is this any good?
I'm still trying to get my head around which number to reference against the table

Status
Not open for further replies.