• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR - Trainee Train Drivers - Multiple Locations (26/01/24)

JT97

Bristol Parkway

London Paddington

Fratton

Moderator note - a reminder this is directly in the advert. Questions regarding this in this thread will be deleted.
  • You'll need to live within 60 minutes travel time to the depot, without using public transport when it is not available. The safety responsibilities make this requirement a necessity. This is therefore not negotiable

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ses16

Says it for a talent pool but I’ve put an application in for Paddington. Might as well throw my hat in.

387star

On Moderation
Fratton... Good depot I hear but very monotonous. Easy routes for a trainee though

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
If you scroll through the adverts, you see this is for a talent pool:

If your application is successful in the whole recruitment process, you will be placed in a Talent Pool pending available vacancies in 2024/2025.

sam.cotterell

In the FAQ Salary says around 28k whilst in training. This would be a big cut for me especially with a young family but I know it would be worth it long term. Does anyone know how long you are expecting to be on the trainee Salary Before going to year 1 salary?

Melancholia

In the FAQ Salary says around 28k whilst in training. This would be a big cut for me especially with a young family but I know it would be worth it long term. Does anyone know how long you are expecting to be on the trainee Salary Before going to year 1 salary?
Depends on how quickly you pick up the required hours for routes and traction, and pass out. At the moment it's very slow going.

Also anyone that's already working for GWR, they are looking for Trainee Drivers in Swansea, for internals only.

Ses16

Worth a fill
Exactly my thoughts but how are you getting on with c2c sam? (If you don’t mind me asking?) You’ll probably be training with them before GWR starts taking trainees from this campaign.

Ses16

Applied for Fratton. Did the usual SJT, but then had to do a strange error checking test I've never seen before. Example questions were identical to the questions in this link: https://viewpoint-psychology.com/products/aptitude-tests/error-checking

Anyone experienced this before? I've never heard of it.
I didn’t get an invite to do one but I’ve done one recently for LNER. Basically it’s just checking your attention to detail and the speed you take to do it.

Samzino

Exactly my thoughts but how are you getting on with c2c sam? (If you don’t mind me asking?) You’ll probably be training with them before GWR starts taking trainees from this campaign.
So far so good just a few more hurdles to overcome and a bit of luck.

soswales

I've put my application in, passed first test and then completed the second one straight after - I think I did OK fingers crossed!

I was just wondering whether anyone had any more insight in to the pay structure. Mainly how long the training pay will be for? Only reason I ask is that I will be taking a massive pay drop if I was successful and would like to know how long I need to manage on training pay before it goes up - on the FAQ sheet it states 'year 1' 48k - is that the first year after being fully qualified or after passing initial training? Appreciate any input on this.

In regards to the training course, I have looked around the forum and the courses seem to either be in Reading or Bristol - is that correct?

Good luck to everyone that's applied!

It's £28,267 until Pass out which will be at least 12 months, closer to 15/6 after starting at Pad or Bristol Parkway, can't speak for Fratton
Then £48,099, then £54,112 1 year after and finally £60124 at year 2 by which point the pay deal will hopefully have been sorted so it should be higher.

Samzino

A colleague of mine applied same day as me(yesterday), done the sjt I believe the same day but haven't got the error checking test sent yet, I have however received and completed mine.

Assuming he didn't make it or the last batches get sent later?

From what I remember you get it straight away if you pass the SJT, so I’m guessing he didn’t pass as it’s automated.

I belive if you take to long with the SJT it’s a fail and you don’t get sent the link for Error test.

london96

A colleague of mine applied same day as me(yesterday), done the sjt I believe the same day but haven't got the error checking test sent yet, I have however received and completed mine.

Assuming he didn't make it or the last batches get sent later?
Hi Samzino,

Best of luck with it. Did you get an email after the error identification test?

Samzino

Hi Samzino,

Best of luck with it. Did you get an email after the error identification test?
Nope, waiting game for next stage

From what I remember you get it straight away if you pass the SJT, so I’m guessing he didn’t pass as it’s automated.

I belive if you take to long with the SJT it’s a fail and you don’t get sent the link for Error test.

Makes sense. I'd assume it's a quick computer check.

Leoleo1833

I applied for the position myself and i did both the test ,but im wondering, was it even possible to complete the whole error checking test?

I applied for the position myself and i did both the test ,but im wondering, was it even possible to complete the whole error checking test?
I would be very surprised if it could be all completed unless you were a robot as If I remember right there was a lot of questions for 10 minutes.

Leoleo1833

I would be very surprised if it could be all completed unless you were a robot as If I remember right there was a lot of questions for 10 minutes.
That’s exactly what I thought… 50 of those in 10 min is just impossible unless someone did it all

Richard555

I got the answer that I ran out of time. Never going to do 50. Not sure I even did 20...
Went for speed and accuracy too