• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR - Trainee Train Drivers - Multiple Locations (26/01/24)

Choochoochug

Have you heard back about your error checking test? I know I’ve passed the sjt but have not heard about the error test yet. As far as I know only the top scorers on the error checking progress since there’s limited numbers, on the faq’s it said the error results would be processed after the vacancy is closed.
No I haven’t hear back after the error test.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Danieldaniel

Received my rejection email today. I thought I had done well in the error checking test. Bad luck
One that I’ve started to notice since doing these tests is they will have the obvious errors such as completely wrong numbers, or massively misspelt world, but they’ll also have harder to spot obese such as swapping “b” for “d” in words and similar. Easy to miss if you’re not looking out for

london96

Received my rejection email today. I thought I had done well in the error checking test. Bad luck
Sorry to hear that as well. I noticed you have also applied for West midlands trains Crewe and Shrewsbury depots. Wouldn't GWR fratton or Paddington be too far away from your home address?

TM Hopeful

Sorry to hear that as well. I noticed you have also applied for West midlands trains Crewe and Shrewsbury depots. Wouldn't GWR fratton or Paddington be too far away from your home address? will normally mention if it’s your location

Sorry to hear that as well. I noticed you have also applied for West midlands trains Crewe and Shrewsbury depots. Wouldn't GWR fratton or Paddington be too far away from your home address?
GWR will normally mention if it’s your location that rejects you, I know this from my previous driver application being withdrawn for PAD after the video interview stage (even though I am already based at PAD in my current TM role!)

london96

I've still not heard anything since I've done the online tests. I'm pretty new to applying to train op roles is the time frame normal or should I chase them up? Thanks in advanced

JH-OB

I've still not heard anything since I've done the online tests. I'm pretty new to applying to train op roles is the time frame normal or should I chase them up? Thanks in advanced
These timeframes are completely normal. 6 months can pass without hearing anything. They’ll be in touch when they’re ready.

Samzino

I waited for one TOC a year before hearing anything after my Online SJT pass and shortlisting. This is Normal.

PufferFish

Hi all

Haven’t received a email to say if I have passed or failed yet, do we know timeframes in which GWR get back to people?

LKS

It could be months... No news is good news sometimes.

The last round (2023) included a video interview (not a face-to-face) which came out the blue after being at depot manager stage for a while, then it was waiting more.

In the FAQ Salary says around 28k whilst in training. This would be a big cut for me especially with a young family but I know it would be worth it long term. Does anyone know how long you are expecting to be on the trainee Salary Before going to year 1 salary?
Expect at least 18 months, and up to 2 years depending on the availability of instructors - which varies by depot

I've put my application in, passed first test and then completed the second one straight after - I think I did OK fingers crossed!

I was just wondering whether anyone had any more insight in to the pay structure. Mainly how long the training pay will be for? Only reason I ask is that I will be taking a massive pay drop if I was successful and would like to know how long I need to manage on training pay before it goes up - on the FAQ sheet it states 'year 1' 48k - is that the first year after being fully qualified or after passing initial training? Appreciate any input on this.

In regards to the training course, I have looked around the forum and the courses seem to either be in Reading or Bristol - is that correct?

Good luck to everyone that's applied!

The pay moves from 28K to 48K the day you qualify.

Training for Paddington, Reading and Oxford drivers is normally at Reading, with everyone else at Bristol SPM

Good luck with your application!

TM Hopeful

Anyone know when the Oxford depot will be recruiting for trainee drivers?
I’ve been in the talent pool at Oxford for nearly two years with zero movement, in fact they’re over for driver numbers currently at Oxford, we’ve been told to consider applying for other depots hence why I’ve applied for Bristol Parkway now

Speedbird100

I’ve been in the talent pool at Oxford for nearly two years with zero movement, in fact they’re over for driver numbers currently at Oxford, we’ve been told to consider applying for other depots hence why I’ve applied for Bristol Parkway now
Thanks

PK96

I'm yet to hear back... Not sure what to think of this!

My application probably got lost on its way

london96

Lovely

Nah its just the Railway recruitment time norm. Most who've passed both online tests will hear back eventually, well some anyway.
When you say some. Do you mean some people who have passed will never no if they have passed or not?

Samzino

When you say some. Do you mean some people who have passed will never no if they have passed or not?
You'll only know if you've truly passed by being told so. Some have been known in recruitment to be kept in limbo.