• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Harlesden to Ladbroke Grove via Paddington?

Status
Not open for further replies.

underthenet

Hi,
I want to go to from Harlesden Station (Bakerloo Line) to Ladbroke Grove Station by changing for the Hammersmith and City or Circle line at Paddington, which would appear to be the quickest route considering that it's 15 minutes from Harlesden to Paddington and then 5 minutes from Paddington to Ladbroke Grove. However, when I type in this journey on tfl it tells me to go via Baker Street and never mentions changng at Paddington, but why?? It seems silly to go all the way to Baker Street to change, so I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas why tfl doesn't mention changing at Paddington.
Many thanks!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kryten2340

Would imagine this will get moved to the London Underground section.

Only thing I can think of is interchange time at Paddington. Perhaps they think travelling to Baker Street is quicker overall.

If you specify to travel via Paddington it will send you on to Edgware Road to travel back.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Where about in Harlesden will you be, and where in Ladbroke Grove are you travelling to? I sometimes go to Ladbroke Grove from Harlesden town centre and it's 10 Min on the 220 bus to North Pole Rd and then either a 10 Min walk or a 5 Min bus ride into an area of Ladbroke Grove. If you use the Underground map it makes these places look far apart!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The change at Paddington involves leaving one station and going to another (effectively). The two Paddington LU stations are not the same one and not within the same set of ticket gates. Journey planners probably allow quite a lot of time walking in between.

I would agree with Mojo that the bus may very well be quicker, depending on where you want to go.

hassaanhc

Established Member
The 228 runs every 12 minutes (20 evenings/Sundays, was 15 on weekdays until last weekend :P ) directly between Harlesden and Ladbroke Grove Stations. And personally I would avoid most interchanges at Paddington because I always find the station extremely confusing (well changing between NR and H&C line anyway ;) )

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Although the 228 is a fairly indirect way of going from Harlesden to Ladbroke Grove, going south towards White City (including a few impressive but frustrating loops of White City Bus Station), then down to Shepherds Bush, along to Holland Park before heading back north again to Ladbroke Grove

transmanche

Established Member
It seems silly to go all the way to Baker Street to change, so I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas why tfl doesn't mention changing at Paddington.
It's because the Bakerloo line platforms at Paddington are nowhere near the Hammersmith & City/Circle line platforms. Basically you have to exit the tube station, walk the length of Paddington mainline station and re-enter the Hammersmith & City/Circle line station.

The interchange between the two lines at Baker St is much easier and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it is quicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.